"Light Trimming"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickols7

Live to Learn!!
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried the method of "Light" Trimming? The way to do so is to allow plants that are grown using rockwool go uncovered. The roots will eventually grow through the cubes and supposedly when the light hits the roots they will stop growing. Do note that the plant does not suffer any negative results from this. It keeps the plant from becoming root bound and at the same time allows the "plant to grow; not the roots"

I am very curious to see if anyone has ever tried this. I know several people who are very talented when it comes to hydroponics who all do this. I am anxious to hear from you all!!!

"If you cant be a pine on the top of the hill be a bud at the top of the tree"

In my experience light is almost always a negative factor for roots. They should never be exposed to light, soil or hydro. Do you mean actually trimming the roots?

No. From the way I have been told, keep the plastic coating on the rockwool cubes. When the time comes for the roots to grow out of the cube they will grow out from the bottum. When the root becomes exposed to the light it stops growing. This is what I have been told is Light Trimming. The tip of the root will turn brown but the rest will remain white and continue to pull nutes.

Oh ok, ya thats just nature, thought you meant cutting roots, a huge no-no. You should get a cover and never let them see light tho. Just for a precaution for many bad root diseases to start.

Yea that it what I would think as well. I do not use this method. I just know some peeps who do. They love it! I guess I just do not have the "sack" to try it.... Seems dangerous. I have some pics in the grow journel of my current grow. "The curious owner of 7 purps" Check it out!!!

Latest posts

Back