Pondering about hermies...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See that is the problem. You planting hermy seeds is not only going to affect you, it is going to affect any mj plants within pollination range, which can be miles. IMO, it is not much different than bringing a noxious weed into an area. By planting hermy seeds, you are essentially poisoning the gene pool and undoing what responsible breeders work years to fix.

Resin reaper is screwing up any local harvests and insuring that any and all weed in his area ends up mids and seedy.

The responsible thing to do would be to not grow males and hermies outdoors. Talk about a waste of effort.

Wow, this thread sure did take a turn.. :eek:
I appreciate everyone's input and point of view.
I think I'll agree with the school of thought that hermies are bad.
and I'll agree to not live near Resin-reaper. :hubba:

I have heard that male flowers that appear after 6 weeks of flower have a tendency to be sterile; and I have seen male flowers on a harvest that produced zero seeds, and good yummy stoney smoke.
any thoughts on that?

Happy Growing to All! :icon_smile:

'some' late nanners are sterile, but by 'no means' are "all" sterile.
''some' strains will throw late nanners if they are pushed for a late harvest. But.."IMO" 6 weeks is "at least" 2 weeks too early to be called "late male flowers"..

resin-reaper said:
lol well all i can say is "don't live next door to me" because i've got a dozen herm seed in the yard coming up :D

I think people are still getting me wrong. I'm not saying herm seed is good- just free. If you at all care about the quality of the plant- buy seeds from a respectable breeder. Honestly i wouldn't give a damn if my cat walked up and ate all the herm seed sprouts i got, but of course if it does all finish ok with minimal to no effort or concern then score.

So yeah don't live next to me, but in my selfishness i'll have a bit of extra smoke growing on the side.

. you know bra if i could reach thru this screen and thunk you on the head with a wooden spoon a few times BAM BAM BAM to help you understand you are like a STD to the MJ world by growing and passing on hermies... I would.. cause im nice like that:rolleyes: and here to help :D

Answer me this:

Would it be ok if i grew male plants? Would it be just as rude to have male plants spreading their pollen?

Sure my herm offspring might pollinate other people's plants (MAYBE if they go herm themselves) but to someone who doesn't want random seeds regardless- what is the difference?

Or are people equally saying that unless i have a male with bomb genetic that i shouldn't own that either?

resin-reaper said:
Answer me this:

Would it be ok if i grew male plants? Would it be just as rude to have male plants spreading their pollen?

Sure my herm offspring might pollinate other people's plants (MAYBE if they go herm themselves) but to someone who doesn't want random seeds regardless- what is the difference?

Or are people equally saying that unless i have a male with bomb genetic that i shouldn't own that either?

To each their own my friend. And yes, people would likely be more upset if you grew male plants as they would produce a greater amount of pollen. But I assume your living on the moon and have no chance of pollinating my lands, so enjoy your smoke and watch out for exploding bowls/joints/blunts.

I'd rather have a male pollinate and make a CROSS. Not CONTAMINATE my strains.

And responsible people don't grow males outdoors and let them go to full flower pollination. They separate, and harvest pollen, then hand apply it. This is how it's done properly.

No i think you missed the point.

If they don't want their plants pollinated it won't matter if it was a rubbish parent genetic or not producing seed in their gear. Think for example someone that only runs from cutting and no time for germinating seeds.

Let's make the scenario even worse. Lets say i got a big yard and don't go down the back often but i put a few dozen bag seed in a garden bed then go away for holiday for a few months only returning a week before harvest time- so lets say half the plants are male spewing their pollen out in to the world and that some of those males are pissy genetic **** ups.

In such circumstances- is the guy with a seed grown from a herm plant still worse than said scenario? (with straight males of dubious origin and random potential)

Ok OGkushman you answered my question as i was asking it.

In effect you are against any public pollination so see herm as a crime.

Fair enough.

resin-reaper said:
In such circumstances- is the guy with a seed grown from a herm plant still worse than said scenario? (with straight males of dubious origin and random potential)

Yes.

resin-reaper said:
No i think you missed the point.

If they don't want their plants pollinated it won't matter if it was a rubbish parent genetic or not producing seed in their gear. Think for example someone that only runs from cutting and no time for germinating seeds.

Let's make the scenario even worse. Lets say i got a big yard and don't go down the back often but i put a few dozen bag seed in a garden bed then go away for holiday for a few months only returning a week before harvest time- so lets say half the plants are male spewing their pollen out in to the world and that some of those males are pissy genetic **** ups.

@reisin Ok bra its simple like this .. you shouldnt grow... go back to buying hermed bag weed.... why you would want to smoke out seeded weed IDK.. does seeded weed do anything other then give you a headache and make you tired??? wait dont answer that.... Maybe you just dont know what a MJ Cultivar is??? your logic is flawed bud... gets out wooden spoon ...THUNK!!

I wont be back to this thread so dont bother responding resin i have watched people with a lot of knowledge try to help you understand..but your post is kinda saying im just a lazy ******* that shouldnt grow weed and stick to buying it... its cool tho bra in the MJ world with out costumers there would be no dispensaries...;) to me you are more of the costumer sort the kinda guy that calls all strains killer dro!!! .. THUNK THUNK THUNK!!!!!!!!! :hitchair:

@Dan you nailed it .. this guy just wants to argue to argue and im glad hes thousands of miles away...

@Hick dam you're Smart!!!!!no pun inteaded...:D

@THG omfg..... i think i got a new crush....:eek:

Aloha
SquidyP

No you are just being a rude idiot.

You dare tell me i shouldn't grow? Who the hell do you think you are? If you paid attention you would of known that these herm seeds AREN'T MY REAL CROP- so why would you talk rubbish about seeded weed only giving you a head ache. For a start that is utter ****, but on top of that ITS NOT MY REAL CROP YOU STUPID RUDE PRICK!

I grow indoor hydroponic cannabis very well and try to only use the best genetics. When I have mother plants in the near future I won't keep any that produce herm cuttings and won't just keep the first seed i sprout, i'll run as many as i can to find the best genetics available to me and keep that one.

I am not here to just argue- are you? Why would you say that to me when you are just as equally arguing only you haven't actually read what i said so it is you being the **** and "just arguing"- not really knowing fully what you are talking about.

Everyone stop telling me the herm is inferior- i know that and have said that!

I do have a right to say that i do think they can be used as low grade stock around these ways. I don't live in California and growers are VERY FEW AND FAR BETWEEN. There are for all practical purposes ZERO breeders around here. In fact no one knows what they are smoking strain wise here because there are no legal grows, no dispensaries and it is illegal to posses a seed let alone import one over the net.

I have listened to people and taken in to consideration the 'public pollination' issue. It does make me think about what a 'responsible grower' is but it's not the same for everywhere. If you live near medical grow ops you have a lot of responsibility. If you live near a population where large number are hostile to cannabis and the users don't know the first thing about it's varieties or cultivation then things are a lot different.

Are people listening to me though? I still have a tortured seed from a herm which is now in the bud and resin generation stage and ZERO male flowers. This plant lost like 4 big shade leaves and singed the ends off nearly all the rest. I havent taken it seriously and sprouted it just because so out of lazyness i used run off water from my real grow. Being a tiny plant in potting mix instead of a mature hydroponic plant it got nailed by the dose.
If someone told me they had a regular plant and done this damage to it and asked me if it could turn herm i would say it was a definite possibility. Just like smoking ciggs and cancer. But still no male flower and time is running out.

If this plant finishes with no male flowers will people peak down from their high horse and consider that i'm not a **** head "trying to argue"?

resin-reaper said:
No you are just being a rude idiot.

You dare tell me i shouldn't grow? Who the hell do you think you are? If you paid attention you would of known that these herm seeds AREN'T MY REAL CROP- so why would you talk rubbish about seeded weed only giving you a head ache. For a start that is utter ****, but on top of that ITS NOT MY REAL CROP YOU STUPID RUDE PRICK!

I grow indoor hydroponic cannabis very well and try to only use the best genetics. When I have mother plants in the near future I won't keep any that produce herm cuttings and won't just keep the first seed i sprout, i'll run as many as i can to find the best genetics available to me and keep that one.

I am not here to just argue- are you? Why would you say that to me when you are just as equally arguing only you haven't actually read what i said so it is you being the **** and "just arguing"- not really knowing fully what you are talking about.

Everyone stop telling me the herm is inferior- i know that and have said that!

I do have a right to say that i do think they can be used as low grade stock around these ways. I don't live in California and growers are VERY FEW AND FAR BETWEEN. There are for all practical purposes ZERO breeders around here. In fact no one knows what they are smoking strain wise here because there are no legal grows, no dispensaries and it is illegal to posses a seed let alone import one over the net.

I have listened to people and taken in to consideration the 'public pollination' issue. It does make me think about what a 'responsible grower' is but it's not the same for everywhere. If you live near medical grow ops you have a lot of responsibility. If you live near a population where large number are hostile to cannabis and the users don't know the first thing about it's varieties or cultivation then things are a lot different.

Are people listening to me though? I still have a tortured seed from a herm which is now in the bud and resin generation stage and ZERO male flowers. This plant lost like 4 big shade leaves and singed the ends off nearly all the rest. I havent taken it seriously and sprouted it just because so out of lazyness i used run off water from my real grow. Being a tiny plant in potting mix instead of a mature hydroponic plant it got nailed by the dose.
If someone told me they had a regular plant and done this damage to it and asked me if it could turn herm i would say it was a definite possibility. Just like smoking ciggs and cancer. But still no male flower and time is running out.

If this plant finishes with no male flowers will people peak down from their high horse and consider that i'm not a **** head "trying to argue"?

I'm very sorry if I or anyone have angered you, but part of the "passion" we have here is striving for the best. The simple fact that a pheno has herm qualities - makes it trash to us passionate growers. Whether it finishes without flowers or not, it's still got the ability to pass on that geneo.

Let me put it this way: I paid ~100$ for 6 OG18 seeds, 3 were herms and 1 was male. I threw away the other 2 seeds.

And I never once argued with that logic because you are talking about your real crop. The crop you want to get quality to keep from[/B.

My point was if its something that doesn't really matter if i gets thrown out half way or a rabbit eats it or what ever then the quality of the genetics is irrelevant- that's all my point was.
Maybe in Cali where people can fake a medical illness or just have sore feet or something and get a prescription for pot you won't have a use for low grade weed but around here no weed goes astray. We all want to lay our hands on the best (and importing seed to grow yourself is the only way) but some scrag weed will be fine for cooking, making hash or just having cheap low power joints since it doesn't take a whole joint to one person to get high from high-grade. Hell it can even be sold for cash because no one around here IMAGINES that smoking bud from a plant that produced a seed somewhere on it will give you a head ache.

resin-reaper said:
lol well all i can say is "don't live next door to me" because i've got a dozen herm seed in the yard coming up :D

I think people are still getting me wrong. I'm not saying herm seed is good- just free. If you at all care about the quality of the plant- buy seeds from a respectable breeder. Honestly i wouldn't give a damn if my cat walked up and ate all the herm seed sprouts i got, but of course if it does all finish ok with minimal to no effort or concern then score.

So yeah don't live next to me, but in my selfishness i'll have a bit of extra smoke growing on the side.

:rolleyes: shrugs.. least i got your attention sheesh... anyways and now your a major hydro grower of killer what again herm bagseed?? i do seem a bit a lost?? and one way or another could care less if you plant herm or buy seeds from seed banks or even feed your bunny herm seeds.. im 2500 miles away from you easy.. im safe from your STD thank goodness...

Many members told you nicely how they felt about Herms and your pondering .. you didnt seem to hear the ## of post about MP liking to be a Herm free zone.. if you dont like the answer dont ask the question..

now my POINT if you ever created your own cross youd know how much work it is and how much time and space and personal sacrifice it takes..try making your own strain and then stablize them bx6 times to have them pollenated from some wild herm a bunny **** out from eating a herm seed.. hahah im being so dramamtic i swear..anyways then maybe youd see how you sound is blasaphamy

.i see its pointless to tell you ALL HERMS SHOULD DIE and yeah disposed of in the proper manner :) so yeah bra :hitchair: THUNK THUNK THUNK.... ALL HERMS DIE!!!! even the ones you want to smoke when your bigtime dro aint ready... or feed your livestock..

Aloha fo reals dis time

IgnorantPrick :D

YOU STILL AREN'T PAYING ATTENTION
EDITED

1. This is the most simple of rules. There are filters in place to block the usage of many words that are considered to be unacceptable in polite conversation. If you notice that a word you've typed is replaced by asterisks, then it is one of these words. Please reconstruct your post to reflect what you're trying to say, but without the word that was blocked. Adding spaces or other characters to the filtered word is not acceptable here. If you attempt to bypass the filter by using any means, it's a direct act against the rules of this site. The Moderators will generally only delete the word itself from your post. However, repeated occurrences of this type may cause more severe reaction by the Moderators who are entrusted to keep the peace here.

Simply put, cussing is not necessary and should not be used. If you feel like cussing in a private message to another member who is tolerant of it, then that's fine. The use of cussing in the open forums is not acceptable as polite conversation. Please just talk without using profanity.
2. Flaming, or open argument including, but not limited to using derogatory names toward another member, degrading comments, racial insults and sexist comments are not acceptable for use anywhere in the open forums.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/Site_Rules.html <-----

Not a "real crop" :giggle: we get it. It's all an illusion. These are not the droids You are looking for.

*waves hands*

optical-illusion-wheels-circles-rotating.png

How do you not understand the concept? I use proper genetics and effort on an inside grow- then I have a few seeds in the yard practically growing themselves. If it's inferior who cares? Can still be sold on or etc

Latest posts

Back