First grow with Metal Halide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seriously considering a 400 watt HPS lamp, from my local dealer. But it is about 100 euro and that is a bit much for my budget right now. But maybe it will pay off later.

I'm almost crying right now.. I think I killed 2 of my plants today by accident. The hose from my vacuum cleaner knocked them over when I was cleaning behind my computer and ripped 3 leaves of one of them. I'm considering leaving the lights on for the night, so they can heal. :-(

RiskyPack said:
I'm almost crying right now.. I think I killed 2 of my plants today by accident. The hose from my vacuum cleaner knocked them over when I was cleaning behind my computer and ripped 3 leaves of one of them. I'm considering leaving the lights on for the night, so they can heal. :-(

Dont change your light schedule, more stress wont help anything heal.
A few leaves ripped off shouldn't be a problem.

What did you do for a flowering room?

...especially those ones with cars - LEO can easily zoom in on the license plates and find out who they are, WHERE THEY ARE, and then find you!

remove those pictures!

Some of my plants have started to show sex, but I'm afraid it is the wrong sex. How long should I wait before I kill them off? And can anyone confirm if it is male of female?

Can the female plant produce seeds even if there is no male around? As in sometimes you find seeds in your pot, but they must be infertile seeds right? with no ability to germinate.

Growdude said:
Dont change your light schedule, more stress wont help anything heal.
A few leaves ripped off shouldn't be a problem.

What did you do for a flowering room?
As you see on the picture I used some old boxes. I now have 129 watt of 2700K cfl light hanging over the plants, and 125 watt of 6500K light standing in front of the plants inside the box. I think it will give the plants about 16000-17000 lumens for flowering. I know it is not 60000 like an HPS but will it give me a lot if I switch now?

23 April - 01.JPG

25 April 03.JPG

25 April - 01.JPG

25 April - 02.JPG

hey bro that light has to be wihin a few inches or they will keep stretchin for it. i made the same mistake . i just topped all them and repotted.now its all better!

Killed 3 of my babies today. Such a sad experience. My 3 biggest and strongest plants were males. Next time I'll only use feminised seeds

yeah balls suck man, I dont use fem seeds because they turm hermie to easy and being this only my 5th grow im still to inexperienced ( this my first all indoor grow). I just start lots and then the males dont hurt as much when you chop em. LOL

RiskyPack said:
Can the female plant produce seeds even if there is no male around? As in sometimes you find seeds in your pot, but they must be infertile seeds right? with no ability to germinate.

The conventional wisdom on this site is that bag seed are usually the product of hermie's. Unfortunately, they can be viable, passing on a very bad trait to those of us who grow our own smoke.

PencilHead said:
The conventional wisdom on this site is that bag seed are usually the product of hermie's. Unfortunately, they can be viable, passing on a very bad trait to those of us who grow our own smoke.

Hehe well I just tried to pop one seed in some wet soil, and it looks like it germinated. But if you kill the male plants anyway, it should do no harm growing them, right? I mean there will be no pollen to do anything bad to other plants.

The weed was not very good anyways, so it was probably just because the guy who has grown the ****, forgot to remove one of his male plants. But now I have some seeds I'll try to grow in my parents green house ;) Just to see their reaction.

RiskyPack said:
Hehe well I just tried to pop one seed in some wet soil, and it looks like it germinated. But if you kill the male plants anyway, it should do no harm growing them, right? I mean there will be no pollen to do anything bad to other plants.

I guess the only harm is that hermies tend to escape detection--you get lulled into thiniking you're home free and all the while this little wierdo's in there having its way with your girls.

Let me mention also that if your intention is to grow on your parent's property with out their permission you're going to get beat up around here--that's a very unpopular subject.;)

I got the worst possible news from my plants today. It turns out they are all males. How can this happen? 9/9 male plants? I feel like it must be something in the environment of the plants, that helps determine the sex? It really put me in a bad mood. And it is going to be a long time, before I have time for a new grow.

Turns out I jumped the gun a bit. One plant is still not showing sex, and my weakest little plant that had been in a bad shape from the start turned out to be a cute little girl :holysheep: I was so happy so see this, and I'll guard this little baby with my lift. See the pictures of this little baby, and one of the big bad boys.

May 2 - 01.JPG

May 3 - 01.JPG

RiskyPack said:
Turns out I jumped the gun a bit. One plant is still not showing sex, and my weakest little plant that had been in a bad shape from the start turned out to be a cute little girl :holysheep: I was so happy so see this, and I'll guard this little baby with my lift. See the pictures of this little baby, and one of the big bad boys.

She looks good and green. About the sexing odds, keep in mind occasionally someone wins the lotto--it's all about odds. Not to rub it in, but this grow I planted 9; 1 never broke ground; 1 was male; 7 were female. I'll never have that sort of odds with me ever again, I don't think. Good luck and take care of the baby.

About 2 weeks into flowering. One of the girls is a bit sick, but she has always been the weakest plant, I have tried to change the PH a bit so see if that will work. The other one is looking great.

May 17 - 01.JPG

May 17 - 02.JPG

May 17 - 03.JPG

May 17 - 04.JPG

I just received my 400 watt HPS lamp with a special reflector. I looks super cool I was so psyched when I turned on for the first time. Then I got kind of disappointed with the measly light coming from it. But after about 10 second it turned on for real, and it was like gold in my eyes. I could just feel a big smile appearing on my face, like a 4-year-old child on Christmas night. I know it is a bit late for my current grow, but my next grow will be crazy I promise you.

Latest posts

Back