filters for smell?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREENIE_420

Reaction score
The exhaust for my G space is a 4" diameter pvc pipe that goes through the ceiling and outside. I have a high rpm fan installed inside the pipe in order to pull air out. The pipe runs above the roof of the shed about 8ft. Alltogether the top of this "chimney" is approx. 16-18 ft. high. In order to disguise it better I installed a outdoor light to the top so it looks like just a light pole.:hubba:
I'm putting it this high up hoping to help the smell be less detectable by friends that visit. Of course there all cool but "Tell No One". On days where its windy I know the height of this chimney would not matter, the wind would still downdraft at times carrying the odor. How well do these carbon filters work and where do I get them. Is there any homemade filters, Ive read something about using charcoal.
This is my first grow, I don't even know how strong the odor is going to be but I picked a strain with weak odor. I'm guessing that the odor will be strongest towards the end of the flowering stage and during the drying and curing proccess?

I dont think any fan that goes inside a 4" pipe is going to exhaust any air 16 - 18 feet high.

Carbon filters go on the intake side of your exhaust, they work well but not with your setup in afraid.

Be mighty easy to makes yur own filter fur a pipe that size I reckon out of aquarium charcoal filters yual can buy from the pet store for a fish tank water filters. Did it long time go as I needed to mask some smell fur a bit seem to work ok. Anyways just an idea hope yual do well with the trail yual chose. Luck my friend.

BWD

This is in our DYI section for making a carbon filter

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11420

And as Growdude has already mentioned a booster fan will not work. A booster fan is made to boost air that is already moving and does not have the pulling power to pull air through a filter. These booster fans are used for long runs of duct work to help the moving air move further.

If the smell is not very strong and you want to make sure its ok then you can actually buy some activated charcoal filter mesh from the petstore that will work quite well. you can make a box and cut a few pieces or the fliter as it comes in bulk sheet form and can be cut with a knife or scissors. Then you can fit several pieces into a multi opening box so that you have low air restriction while getting good odor filtration. The sheet of this stuff isn't expensive and will last for a while but not as long as the nicer carbon filters. :)

Go to ebay and search for a fan/carbon filter combo. This will increase your air circ and get rid of the smells. The filters say they last about 1.5 years of continuous use. I use one and my **** don't stink!

Latest posts

Back