Cheese in the HEMPY

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegas Kid

Reaction score
Strain UK Cheese

How Many Plants? One on scrog screen
If in Flowering Stage... 64 days
4 X 4 tent
2 gallon Hempy
40/60 perlite/coco amended with Ca
600W HPS
Air Cooled Hood
Temperature of tent? 77 to 80
RH of Room/Cabinet? 25 to 30%
PH of Medium or Reservoir? 6.1 to 6.4
Any Pests? All of them
How Often are you Watering? daily
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? GH 3 Part, cali-magic, kool bloom 400 to 600 ppm

Since you learn with every grow, or at least think you learn, if I took anything away from this grow it was persistence.

Vegas Bug Buffet

Hydrogen peroxide is the only germicidal agent composed only of water and oxygen, and is considered the world's safest all natural sanitizer.
If you have a microbial herd This isn’t for you.

My growing efforts have in the past been a battle between my wallet and the vermin.
Even with my minimal formal education I could see that I was helping to contribute to better bugs, not better pot.

The first rule of warfare is Know Your Enemy:
GNATS
If you have Gnats you have a problem plant.(s) Their primary source of food is dead or decaying plant matter, the Secondary is healthy plant matter, roots mainly
Gnats lay the eggs in the soil so all the yellow sticky traps aren’t going to eliminate them, they are however, a control and a great indicator.
Gnats don’t breathe; they absorb and are vulnerable to vectors that coat and the eggs are eliminated by a mild Oxidizer
Gnats don’t dig well in dense materials
Gnats are subject to predation by beneficial nematodes

When I potted my plants I left a couple of inches at the top, and when Gnats showed on my yellow cards, right after I put the HPS in, I put ¾ to 1 inch deep of sterile play ground sand. I added 3% Hydrogen peroxide: 4 water to 1 h202 solution and flushed all the plants. I put a small flat thin rock on top of the sand: water on the rock and flood the top of the bucket. (hempy perlite, coco)
End of the gnats. I put blue and yellow traps out that caught a few that had no where else to go.
Once a week on the coco/perlite hempy I add 1 pint of 3% H202 per gallon to the watering cycle. In flower the cycle is now daily. I use it every watering in my faux promix.
I bought the beneficial bugs but never got around to using them.

MITES.
These things have been the bane of my existence as a gardener. Right after I whacked the gnats the Borg showed up. Mites also have the absorption vulnerability.
This time a new approach, I know some people have tried to suffocate them with C02 with dubious results. The cost and feasibility of this approach in a tent didn’t seem promising. First a through spray with leftover Monterey Garden, I don’t think it did any real good but what the hell. Prior to spraying I cleaned out the undergrowth and set up fans under the plant, I read somewhere constant motion upsets the mites, so far so good.
I then set the ventilation up with a panda timer and a variable speed controller and raised the temp into the high 80’s+ and the humidity to 75%+ for 48 hours. ( + means what ever I could get out of it and still leave them standing)Wait for it, wait for it…. Powdery Mildew. Waiting for the mildew was my new buddy H202. 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 dilution with RO water; I used both. Really give it a bath, vent for 24 hours, then one more (optional) 24 hour humidity run. The next couple of days I sprayed whenever I saw anything white. Looking back I realize I should have sprayed the entire inside of the tent first (probably the plant too). I doubt if this will kill the all the mite eggs and follow ups may be necessary. I only had to do it once.
I pay $.79 a pint at the 99 cent store.
3% is mildly acidic and will level my RO ph to 5.9
*Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide is an extremely strong oxidizer; IMO more trouble that it’s worth.

This was my UK Cheese 2 liter hempy transplant to 2 gallons
I placed this plant in flower well below the screen
View attachment scrog start.jpg

Now coming out of stretch 3 weeks and buttons everywhere

View attachment end of stretch.jpg

last week

View attachment jp 1.JPG

Free at Last
View attachment rose 3.jpg

Caught this shot while the HPS was warming up
View attachment SAM_0025.jpg

Thanks for the Votes