Sopappy's so so grows

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I could help, but I've only ever done soil.

ya gotta be quick in hydro, I just noticed these leaves this morning
and if I'd seen them from first sign, it's easier to troubleshoot

Pappy look for a pattern in the necrosis on the plants. If that is just a few leafs here and there on the plants(down low) then that isn't too much of an issue as the older leaves will get used up and "yellow off" as they age. I get quite a bit of that down low as my plants age. Once those leaves down low lose the majority of light, they will begin to yellow off and the plant will actually take available nutes from those leaves then kill them off.

It can also be a symptom of the plants just not being happy. I suspect that the genetics of those 2 plants just couldn't handle the stress of the changes that you made and I would bet the roots got damaged by the stress. (that is why I tell people to not do major changes to grow in the middle of a run, only minor tweaks).....Hard to say but that is one possibility when they just won't respond to fixes while everyone else is doing fine.

Pappy look for a pattern in the necrosis on the plants. If that is just a few leafs here and there on the plants(down low) then that isn't too much of an issue as the older leaves will get used up and "yellow off" as they age. I get quite a bit of that down low as my plants age. Once those leaves down low lose the majority of light, they will begin to yellow off and the plant will actually take available nutes from those leaves then kill them off.

It can also be a symptom of the plants just not being happy. I suspect that the genetics of those 2 plants just couldn't handle the stress of the changes that you made and I would bet the roots got damaged by the stress. (that is why I tell people to not do major changes to grow in the middle of a run, only minor tweaks).....Hard to say but that is one possibility when they just won't respond to fixes while everyone else is doing fine.

That diagnosis sounds about right to me, HP. and I think you warned me about that too but I changed my set-up mid stream and it was probably more steessful than i thought. I've been mucking around with my timing too, this week should be very telling, I'm leaving them alone :)

Yeah I think that maybe they just couldn't handle it. Some strains can handle that stress without a problem. I've had strains that you couldn't kill with a lawn mower, and Ive seen some that I just couldn't make happy. Just let em ride and if something comes to mind, run it up the flagpole and see how it flies. :)

Freaking Pineapple Express was one of the strongest plants i ever grew.

Freaking Pineapple Express was one of the strongest plants i ever grew.

I'll try it, I'm having trouble with seeds again now too, I think the free seeds they give you must be old

Yeah I think that maybe they just couldn't handle it. Some strains can handle that stress without a problem. I've had strains that you couldn't kill with a lawn mower, and Ive seen some that I just couldn't make happy. Just let em ride and if something comes to mind, run it up the flagpole and see how it flies. :)

I just wanted to add an ebb & flo try and went off the deep end fiddling but finalized it all yesterday.
I'll post each sytem, I 'm not sure of what I am doing :)
An hour before daybreak, I'm afraid to go in there

this is my modified (R)DWC (long story)

-1 control bucket (w/pump and tube to rez) connected to 4 x (5gal/20L) buckets connected at the bases, an airstone in each bucket
-30gal/120L reservoir (w/pump and tube to feed the end bucket, top feed

when the rez is full, there is about 2 inches of water left in the buckets
when the buckets are full, level is half way up the hydroton, just below rapid rooters

It takes about 10 minutes to fill the buckets
and then they sit in bubbling water about 15 minutes (not recirculating)
it takes about 10 minutes to drain the buckets
and they sit in air, bottom 2 inches is bubbling water, for 15 minutes
repeat

how long do you think the buckets should stay full?
how long do you think the buckets should stay empty?

ebbing and flowing hydroton twice an hour doesn't seem excessive to me
and bubbling when it's stagnant shouldn't hurt
and the roots hanging in the air for 15 minutes with their feet in bubbles sounds like a friggin' spa to me

repeats hourly day and night
I think 15 minutes is about right but easily changed

-------- morning after reset
The pH dropped like a rock overnight from 5.6 to 5.1 and I was expecting it to go up.
They drank 3 litres (3 quarts) but the ppms did not change
I added ph up to the rez to bring it to 5.5

I bought a 2nd rez, a tub sits on top of it with a cover with 8 holes for
4 inch net pots with about 4 inches below the pots
I added airstones to the rez and the tub and use the overflow to re-circulate

I turn the pump on 45 minutes every hour, and let it drain and sit 15 minutes. (easily changed)
hydroton again, rapid rooters, similar levels

----------- morning after reset
this system is behaving
drank 3 litres and ppm from 700 down to 460
pH at 6.2 already but I'm letting it go 12 hours

sopap i am so f'ing happy to hear you are going ebb and flow bro, also i like th sounds of the raw, so let me give you the low down as i know it and i have only had success with ebb and flow going on 4 grows knock on wood all successful.
first to the fill times i have 2 thoughts on this 1 is every 4 hours and the other is every 6 hours. in veg i go every 6 and in flower i go every 4 hours. I leave mine filled for 30 mins. I also do not use an airstone in the buckets but i have several in the res i figure makes more sense to oxygenate the entire res and fill them all and drain and repeat has worked perfectly for me. Also make sure the buckets completely drain dry(literally)
Part 2 using RAW
I have used raw since week 3 of my first grow when i discovered it and again i attricbute most of my success to it and harley smith for giving me the undestanding of what the plant needs and when it needs and why it needs it.
How i feed. I use the RAW biostimulants every single res change
Kelp, humic acid, amino acids(OmniA), Silica, and every other res change i add vitamin b, then i add in a single bottle formula GH floranova some of the highest quality strictly NPK nutrients made period.

sopap i am so f'ing happy to hear you are going ebb and flow bro, also i like th sounds of the raw, so let me give you the low down as i know it and i have only had success with ebb and flow going on 4 grows knock on wood all successful.
first to the fill times i have 2 thoughts on this 1 is every 4 hours and the other is every 6 hours. in veg i go every 6 and in flower i go every 4 hours. I leave mine filled for 30 mins. I also do not use an airstone in the buckets but i have several in the res i figure makes more sense to oxygenate the entire res and fill them all and drain and repeat has worked perfectly for me. Also make sure the buckets completely drain dry(literally)
Part 2 using RAW
I have used raw since week 3 of my first grow when i discovered it and again i attricbute most of my success to it and harley smith for giving me the undestanding of what the plant needs and when it needs and why it needs it.
How i feed. I use the RAW biostimulants every single res change
Kelp, humic acid, amino acids(OmniA), Silica, and every other res change i add vitamin b, then i add in a single bottle formula GH floranova some of the highest quality strictly NPK nutrients made period.

Thanks for the numbers, Gooch, I'm still playing with that.
I've mucked things uyp a bit as usual.

I have to buy Bloom nutes within a week or so and looking at that RAW thing for sure, sounds complicated though :-(

By jezuz, I think they're coming back, praise be, I don't see as much of the sickly lime colour and they seem to be greening up
but the pH just plummets even after I upped the nutes in the buckets
if pH down again after sleep today, I'll up it again (under LED, 870)

the tray is great, eating and drinking, not sure what dialed in means but i think I'm close with the tray anyways

View attachment onmend.jpg

I have to buy Bloom nutes within a week or so and looking at that RAW thing for sure, sounds complicated though :-(
not at all this is the low down... Harley smith did research and development over 10 years or so, and figured a bunch of **** out about how plants grow what they need why they use it etc... he created Mother plant A-b which was the first solution to incorporate biostimulants along with all the NPK needed etc..
so with the RAW biostimulants you are getting all the information he developed. Now if you havnt noticed all the nutrients are using a-b formulas, this has been the case since the mother plant nutrient in early 2000. The problem is they do not say what biostimulants they are using and in what proportion. So i wont use a-b forumlas for that reason. I choose a single bottle grow and single bottle bloom because it is so easy especially dealing with a res. You simply fill the res start with adding in the bio stimulands- amino acids, kelp, humic acid, cal-mag, and silica(1/8-1/4 tsp per gallon). then you add your NPK base nutrients and your set. there is actually a class tonight at 5pm i am going to pm you a link to register

I emailed a ways back about where to get it in Canada, haven't followed up yet, soon
Our products are distributed through Greenstar wholesale and Megawatt Wholesale in Canada. Please get in touch with them to find the nearest retailer to you that carries our products.
Most hydroponic stores should have access to our products. If they don't currently stock something, they can order it for you.

I think I might just make it. My numbers for the 8 in the tray make sense
but the buckets are still a little wonky, pH falling but not plummetting any more
and I still see some pale green but I see lots of greening up too.

View attachment greeeeeeeeeen.jpg

I'm going to add another tray, strictly ebb and flow under my T5
I buy REGULAR seeds and grow in only hydroton with rapid rooters
I have 4 in buckets, 8 in the tray, half way through flower for 12 (and a couple laggards)

So, I want 24 - 30 seeds started a week ago (3rd wk of flower)
and having trouble with seeds again, only 8 of 20 up so far so Sopappy is so panicking,
planting another 15 blueberry today (when new tray ready for the 8 I got which frees up the cool whites flourescents for blueberry seeds.

I'm not buying his damn tray unless he has Jungle Juice

If your topping off and your ph is falling in the res........ makes me wonder if your bubbling the water in the res hard.

If your topping off and your ph is falling in the res........ makes me wonder if your bubbling the water in the res hard.

4 buckets, one control, one rez
bubblers in the 4 plant buckets only
hose waterfalls in to the rez
are you saying there can be TOO MUCH oxygen?

the rez pump fills the 4 buckets (sit full for 15 minutes)
the control pump then empties the 4 buckets (and they sit empty 15 minutes)
it takes about the same 10 -15 to fill and empty
so this happens EVERY HOUR, too much?
As it's hydroton, I figured i couldn't leave them dry longer than 15 minutes.
I can adjust either or both of the full vs empty cycles

Yes..... I was pumping so many bubbles into my res it was lowering my PH......... went to a smaller pump and went with making it put out bigger bubbles........ not really trying to oxygenate the water....... just trying to keep nutrient mixed well between the 12 hour watering cycle I use.

I know a few peeps who are using small fountain pumps on timers to flume (mix) their res every so often instead of air pumps.

Latest posts

Back