Complete Lowryder #2 Grow Guide

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manels1111

Master Noob
Reaction score
Complete Lowryder #2 Grow Guide​

This is going to be a complete grow guide for Lowryder #2 grows. I will be using my fourth grow of Lowryder #2 in all the pictures and follow my guide to a tee or as much as possible. So for anyone wanting to grow Lowryder or interested in how someone grows them follow along. I will go over pollinating, nutrient schedules and the works so that if you purchased ten seeds online you will forever be able to grow lowryder #2. I will be starting with ten lowryder #2 seeds.

I will provide the complete watering schedule, temps in grow room, and size of plants every couple days. This is not the end all be all of lowryder growing but at least somewhere to start for beginners at the minimum. When I first grew lowryder I had no idea how to pollinate or even sex the plant, when it was going to happen what to look for the whole shebang. I had to sift through multiple grow journals to get all the information I needed. Hopefully this will answer a lot of folks beginner questions with the plant.

For this guide, I will be using in order of importance.

Light -- 1000 Watt HPS (not required) (might bump it down to a 600w hps if I have less then 5 females. I will use a 18 hours lights on and 6 hours lights off.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I’ve had plenty of success with a 600w HPS start to finish with 12 females under it. Additionally I’m sure you could do fine with a 400w, 250w HPS with lesser amount of plants.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Remember if you purchase 10 seeds then likely your going to get around 5 females. This should be fine under a 400w in 2 x 2 area. You could probably still squeak by with a 250w imo.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Lowryders are very dependent on light. They grow so fast and time is limited. Limit light, you limit size, and yield.

Water – For this I will be using tap water
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Highly recommend using some kind of purified water if you’re unsure how your tap water is. I’ve had problems with my tap water but have figured out a nice balance after 4 grows of additives to correct it.

Pots/Bags – 1gal pot pre sex of plant and 3 gal bags after sex
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I’ve come to the conclusion the only other thing that effects lowryders size under normal grow conditions is pot size. I’ve seen this first hand. If you start your seeds in little containers and wait to transplant those plants will be stunted while in the smaller container. With the life cycle of the plant always ticking wasting 2 inches of growth early on in a small container can be huge down the road.

Soil – Happy Frog Soil
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I’ve used fox farm ocean forest and recently Happy Frog Soil. I’ve seen first hand how good Happy Frog Soil is at least for lowryder. A buddy of mine planted 100 seedlings with half in HF and half in FFOF. I noticed a pretty decent difference between the HF and FFOF in favor of the Happy Frog Soil.

Nutrients – Fox Farm Full line of nutes
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Grow Big(veg nute) Tiger Bloom(bloom nute) Big Bloom, Open Sesame, Cha Ching, Beastie Buds are all bloom additives. I’ve also grown them fine with just Tiger Bloom and Grow big so the others are optional.

Seed Starters -- From Home Depot Jiffy seed starter kit
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]I’ve used rapid rooters from the hydro shop but switched to these for ease of use. Super cheap, and I’ve had a great germination rate. Just water, and drop the seeds in and that’s it.

Light #2 for male plant – I will be using a small 20w CFL from home depot
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]The light is not that important as long as it can string a male along, long enough for it to drop some pollen.

Misc stuff –
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Mylar wrapping on walls, inline fan to cool light, ph pen, temp gauge, measuring spoons for nutrients.

Rough Outline of my grow

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]0-3 days old – plants seeds in jiffy starter peat pellet things. Water pellets 1 time before planting and not again until transplant
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]4-16ish – After seeds show two leaves I will transplant into 1 gallon pots. I will water with regular water until about 12 days old depending on when my water cycle hits. At this point I will water with ½ strength Fox Farm Grow big.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Day 16ish – Transplant after sexing(male or female) to 3 gallon bags. I will keep 1 male and transplant him into a 1 gallon container. I will move him to another room and grow under a little cfl until he is dropping some pretty good pollen in about 10 days.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Day 16ish –30 By day 16ish I should be able to give them a full dose of fox farm grow big. I will also use full strength fox farm big bloom. No worries on this for nutrient burn. I will cycle between that and regular water until day 30. I will use Open Sesame ½ strength every other watering as well just for the heck of it. Its supposed to help in bud site development.
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Male plant around day 30 I will take 1 of my females out of the normal grow room and into the room with the male. I will take the male and shake, tap, and stroke him to death over the female. I will actually do this more on the side of the plant so as not to heavy pollinate the main cola if at all possible. Some people use paint brushes and what not, but I don’t’ want to chance not getting a good turn of seeds. So I’m not to worried about the cola really. I will then kill the male plant. I will let the female plant sit in that room for 1 day under the CFL. In about 12 hours after sprinkling pollen on it I will water it down with a spray bottle to try and eliminate loose pollen from flying. At 24 hours I will water down again and then move into my female grow area with no fans on for 24 hours. After that, fans back on all is good. At this point you have probably ensured yourself about 150 seeds minimum as long as the female plant grows to finish.

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Day 31-45 I will be watering with fox farm Tiger bloom full strength and open sesame. I will watch the plant for nute burn. I will cycle between full nute feeding and then regular watering. If I don’t see any nute burn I will give them ½ strength of the nutes on days I would normally just give regular water.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Day 45-55 I will be watering with fox farm tiger bloom and beastie blooms full strength every other watering. I will monitor plants to see when I can sneak in a little extra beastie bloom on the regular watering days.
[FONT=&quot]o[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][/FONT]Seeds At this point I will be watching my seeded female for seeds that are ready for plucking. I will look for dried up seed pods with a brown seeds starting to poke out. You can tell which seeds are ready just by pinching a seed pod. If its day and ready just a slight pinch will send the seed pop the seed out. I will monitor my plant every few days for seeds. I don’t want them to drop into my nice moist soil.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Day 55-70ish I will be watering with fox farm Tiger Bloom and Cha Ching full strength to finish cycling with water. I’ve never really done the no nutes the last week or flush. I think fox farm nutes are fairly mild and have never really had any harsh or bad taste and I would rather have any extra size/weight I can get from the plant.

Well that’s the outline. Here is where we are at. I’ve taken the jiffy pellet starter tray and put ph’d water to 6.5 over them thoroughly until they grew to full size. They come as little pellets and water makes them expand in size. I took a pencil and poked holes in the top of the peat about a ¼ inch down and drop the seeds in. I then used the pencil to scrap loose so peat from the sides of the hole to cover it. I will now wait for about 3 days and see what we have. At this point I just leave the starter tray in my house under no light. Once I get some sprouting I will place under the 1000w but the light will be a good 3 ft from the sprouts as I have a current grow going on at the moment.

Here are the pics.

Pic 1 of the Happy Frog Soil
Pic 2 of the Lowryder #2 Seeds
Pic 3 of the Jiffy starter pellets after watering them
Pic 4 CFL light for growing the male
Pic 5 Inline Fan for cooling main HPS light
Pic 6 Outside of grow
Pic 7 Peek inside of grow area(no worries about the plants inside)

happy.jpg

seeds.jpg

jiffy.jpg

cfl.jpg

inlinefan.jpg

outgrow.jpg

insidegrow.jpg

Nice post Manels. I hope to be doing my first grow in about a month. I am going to do a DWC system

A couple of questions.
What has been your avg. plant height?

Would you recommend Lowryder 2 for a first grow? Is there one that is more forgiving?

Is the female seed plants bud quality the same as the others?

Very good info!! I'll have to keep this post handy

Im in the same boat as Smokey there. Same questions.
Im down to these and NL to order.
How bout the odor per plant? Ill be doing under 5, likely 2 at a time. Working my filters and all now. Make sure Im doing enough.

What has been your avg. plant height?
About 2.5' tall. Generally all plants have been 2 - 2.5' some getting a little taller. My first grow had some pushing 3 ft.
Would you recommend Lowryder 2 for a first grow?
Yes I would. Even under minimal light and small space and container the plant might only make it to 5 inches tall and have 6 sets of leaves but you could still have some success. You don't have to worry about light schedules and when to flower and when not to flower. Its all going to happen auto.
Is there one that is more forgiving?
As far as auto flowers I'm not sure on that.
Is the female seed plants bud quality the same as the others?
Its probably not technically as its spent more energy producing seeds but after picking out all the seeds, it was some good bud maybe a tad less of quality as my other. Main thing is just the seeds in it and picking them out.
How bout the odor per plant?
The smell is pretty strong per plant. I grow in a cellar type basement you know with just like wind vents around the house. When my plants are in last couple weeks anyone that comes to the house can smell weed. I've never filtered anything because I'm legal to grow here but I would say the have a strong smell.

Thanks for answering the questions manels. I changed the area I am going to use, figured I would need more "bud" room. I've got 65" to the top of my new area, should be enough.
Dammit I want MY whole house to smell like weed:D:eek::D.
Some r lucky

My first grow I was about .8 or .9 of an ounce per plant. My second grow I was at about half ounce per plant. First grow had some pretty bad yellowing starting around day 30. Second grow was through dead winter and was super cold in grow room and some pretty bad yellowing as well. My current grow number 3 is about 38 days old with no signs what so ever of any kind of problem. I'm thinking I should average about 1.25 ounce per plant or more in about 65 to 70 days start to finish. We'll see though.

For this guide(my fourth grow) I have my seeds just starting to poke through the soil. I'm going to update it tomorrow and begin day 1 of the guide.

Actually Smokey I didn't quite say that right. Anyone that walks up to my house can smell weed, before they even get to the front door in those last few weeks of flower. Still makes me parnoid even being legal cause who wants cops coming over for any reason. Anyhow, I live in the country and only have my friends out so its not like I live in town with the mail man delivering male or anything.

Thanks for the response manels. Think I may end up avoiding this strain. Sounds like the odor is extra potent. I need something more manageable.
Probably just stick with NLs for now.

are pretty easy to grow. Manel's that is a great post and I also learned how to grow from reading on this board. Hit my link below for my last lr 2 grow. As far as the smell goes I feel the NL will smell just as bad (or good):) Lr's are the only auto's I have tried. As soon as I am done with my mystery plant I will be back with some different auto's. again, great post Manels:D

Thanks for stopping in ms4ms. Dankerz you are probably right but I have them left over from my current grow so going to use them. Well here we are at day 1 seeds popped.

I placed them in their peat pellets under the light. I will transplant to 1 gal containers here in a 3 or 4 days probably.

Plant size: 1/2"
Room Temps: 85 f day/70ish night

Pic 1 of the Seedlings(don't mind the plant on the far left its a spicey chilly I'm going to grow indoor.

day-1.jpg

Day 3 transplanted into 1 gal containers. A couple of the seedlings might have gotten a little dry but I think all 10 will be fine. I transplanted and then watered with ph down water throughly.

Here is a pic of them can't see them really.

102_1688.JPG

Day 7

All ten plants are looking fine at 7 days old. I've only watered when I transplanted a at day 3. Soil still has plenty moisture. Will probably lightly water at 9 days old as I will be heading out of town for 4 days and dont want them to dry out.

group.jpg

Little gap here but not alot going on. Here we are at day 18. I started with 10 seeds. I got 5 males for sure and 4 females and one runt not showing anything yet. I trashed 4 males and moved my 1 male under its cfl light to nurse it long enough to get some pollen.

Basically I've watered with nothing but ph'd water up until today Day 18. Today I gave the girls a 1/4 strength shot of Fox Farm Grow Big(veg nute).

Grow temps around 90 F. Plants size about 2 to 3 inches.

Here are the pics.

Pic 1 is of the lone male left
Pic 2 is of the lone male left
Pic 3 is of the females

male.jpg

male-2.jpg

females.jpg

Awesome information and thread, thumbs up to you.:watchplant:
A few questions if i may.

1) where can i safely buy these seeds? (sorry if this was already answered, if it was i didnt see it)

2) i'm a new grower and i'm thinking of auto flowering myself, before i buy lights i want to know if i can use 4 t5 lights with 3000 or 6500 bulbs?
they sell at htg for 129.99 including your choice of bulbs.
Cheaper on electric and less heat to worry about producing.

3) how bad would 5 plants smell at the end of flowering? manageable?

And finally an extra thumbs up for a the lesson you gave on using a male plant to pollenate a female before destroying it, i learned something new today, thanks. :cool:

1) where can i safely buy these seeds? (sorry if this was already answered, if it was i didnt see it)
I bought seeds from Dr. Chronic twice now(lowryder #2 seeds, and snowwhite) with no problems. Had them within 4 to 5 days to Cali. Do a google search for Dr Chronic.

2) i'm a new grower and i'm thinking of auto flowering myself, before i buy lights i want to know if i can use 4 t5 lights with 3000 or 6500 bulbs?
they sell at htg for 129.99 including your choice of bulbs.

I pretty sure T5's will not work for growing lowryders. Well let me rephrase that they might work but your buds are going to suffer. You need an HPS or equivalent CFL color to grow lowryders when their flowering. You could use a T5 up until about day 24ish or so in my opinion, but your going to need an HPS/CFL(with right color) to make it worth your time.

3) how bad would 5 plants smell at the end of flowering?
I'm just guesing here as I grow in a basement that has vents all around my house. Well when those are late in flower the smells makes its way all around my house through these vents. If you had 5 plants with no carbon filter in a closet or room. It would probably keep to that side of the house but probably not to that single area.

My bad you were talking about color of the T5 bulbs? Yes if your using the correct color for flower you should be fine with the T5 bulbs but I dont' have experience with them. Just what I have read I would say you are fine.

manels1111 said:
My bad you were talking about color of the T5 bulbs? Yes if your using the correct color for flower you should be fine with the T5 bulbs but I dont' have experience with them. Just what I have read I would say you are fine.

Yeah, you can choose 3000k for vegging and switch to 6500 for flowering as they have different color spectrums and they put out 5000 lumens each bulb= 20,000 lumens per set up, good enough for 5 plants i think.
I did a lot of reading lately, as suggested to me, lol, and i'm glad i did, it's becoming a LOT LESS confusing.
Now i feel i have a good idea on nutes and i'm working on learning more about mixing mediums.

Latest posts

Back