Live resin extraction tips and techniques

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool,,bet ya could still use the left overs in a BHO extraction.

There is still a ton left on the buds. Mrs Hackerman smokes it and says it tastes great. Probably because all the terpenes are squished and open.

Is that your picture - - or is that something you picked up on the net?

If you look up the THC show on YouTube that's my buddy pugone . He built a press from scrap metal to put the hair straightener in and it's defiantly 20% .
Rosin is by far the best tasting smoothest exstract I love it.

OK, I am slowly sliding up the learning curve.

Ditched that hair iron.

I took 2 pieces of flat steel. I placed them in my bench vice and used my nifty difty Milwaukee heat gun to heat the steel plates. I used my digital laser thermometer to monitor the heat on various places on the steel plates. I still have some experimenting to do but I am keeping the heat below the lowest level of the lowest vape point for any of the known cannabanoids (See SkunkPharm "Terpenes and Cannabanoids"). About 250F. I did try higher and lower temps as well as different pressures and press durations. No real conclusions yet. When the plates reach about 250F, I remove the heat, slide the parchment between the plates and quickly press as tight as I can get it, and then release. The press, tighten and release takes about 2 to 3 seconds. I will experiment with different variables and see if I can find a sweet spot.

I took 7 grams of primo cola buds and, even with the pretty nice footprints shown in the pics, still only got 1/2 gram of honey. Not even close to acceptable. I use 20% as a number to shoot for in any extraction. 7% is totally unacceptable.

More to come as I find the sweet spot.

RH of material
Consistency in parchment (solid bud or crumbled)
Temperature
Pressure
Duration

There is my punch list.

View attachment rosin-1.jpg

View attachment rosin-2.jpg

View attachment rosin-3.jpg

Seems like allot of waste of good Dank to me. The return is just not there On what ive seen so far.

Seems like allot of waste of good Dank to me. The return is just not there On what ive seen so far.

you're simply not reading the right threads, check out icmags Rosin thread for much more detailed how toos with 30% returns now being thrown about. Or simply knock a process you have no experience of. Haters gotta hate.

My not agreeing with the method doesnt make me a hater.

I bought one of these today...

The initial tests were not real good but I need to do some tweaking before I say too much.

What I was hoping to do was to squeeze the buds to the end and then back it off so the rosin could collect and not get burned as much. Slippage was my biggest problem. I am working on a rig that will take care of that.

View attachment HCK-WFSR12_xl.jpg

Well, the slip roller appears to be a complete failure. :(

I am having my buddy mill 2 flat stainless plates. One smooth and the other with tiny groves. I am going to skip the parchment and squeeze right on the heated steel. I am hoping the rosin will drip down the grooves and drip out the end (on to a glass collection plate).

I see people getting 20% from hair straighteners and I am getting less than 10%. I tried a different strain and got the same yield.

Anyone else here actually doing this besides me?

View attachment feet.jpg

What? No one here doing this??? All you veterans with all this extra weed for concentrates and edibles and oils and tane juice??? This "rosin" ( I hate that name. LOL) stuff that's going on is pretty good stuff. The taste is better than any other concentrate I have found (albeit in my limited experiments) and you know what.... this stuff actually gets me high. LMAO Now, if that's not enough to get you trying it, I don't know what else to say. LOL

I did 2 different strains under the exact same conditions and the result was real real different. One was soft and sticky and actually made me high. The other was rock hard like shatter and knocked me out. I am super hyper and never crash but this stuff put me to sleep right at my computer. Much bigger difference than I ever notice when just smoking the weed.

You regulars like HG and Rose and Hammy and some of the others really need to try this. I think you will like it. Like I said, if it actually gets me high, you're going to have to like it. LOL

I wouldn't waste the money on the hair straightener. I know HG has a torch. Can't sweat a joint without a torch. LMAO And, any 2 steel plates. I am using the covers off an electrical box. I cleaned and smoothed them a while back and was using them to squeeze fresh leaves for brix testing. I simply put them in my vice and heat them (I use a heat gun, not a torch) and when my digital thermometer says 280F - 300F I remove the heat, grab the parchment with the bud and...... squeeeeeeeeeeze. 3 seconds to 10 seconds (usually 3). Pull out the parchment and...... smile. LOL

This stuff tastes incredible. I can't type any more. I need to do a hit (wife is passed out after too much wine so I have the night to myself LMAO). BRB

BRO,,i dont have enough weed to only get 10 to 20% return on my Dank. When i do,, ill give it a try,,but its gonna have to be DAMN good to lose 80 to 90% of my Weeds goodies.

I don't think you are looking at it properly. The 80% you loose is trash. No canabanoids left. Just green plant matter.

When I take 4 ounces of pot and make 1 ounce of hash, the ounce of hash will last me as long as the 4 ounces of pot would have. Only difference is, during that time, I'm smoking nice hash instead of green plant matter pot.

I'm not trying to convince you. To each his own. But, if you think you actually loose 80% this way, you don't understand how it works. :)

Now, getting 7% like I am from this rosin game...... yeah, you better have plenty to spare. I have a giant bucket full of "chips" and other waste from experiments. LOL

But, for anyone who has some extra laying around, I highly recommend this method over any other I have tried, so far.

Cool,,,as you said,,to each his own. Maybe someday ill have Weed to waste,,and ifen i do,,i will pull out the Curling iron. Lol

OK, I think I just slide up the curve a little more.

Went to my buddy's mold shop and borrowed his 20 ton vulcanizer. LOL

I didn't prepare it in pucks or anything and we got 30 to 40%. Done right, I can see this reaching 40%+. That's even better than ice water extraction. Here's a couple shots. I need to devise a better collection method. This parchment has to go.

Here's the press we used. LOL Sure did the job better than the hair straightener. LOL

View attachment rosin-4.jpg

View attachment rosin-7.jpg

View attachment rosin-8.jpg

some great info in here, i have only smoked live resin before but never had the chance to make it. do you think if you did a ghetto run in a simple tube BHO setup with some live frozn plant matter you would see similar improvements or just a waste of time?

#thedeathofbho #rosin #rosintech

https://www.mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?t=301794

I have already made about 20 posts in that thread. I use many names on the internet. LOL

Thanks

Latest posts

Back