Manifolding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delta999

Reaction score
Im planning on trying this plant training technique on my latest grow.

http://www.growweedeasy.com/manifold

Does anybody have any first hand experience with this method? Would appreciate any tips/ additional practical advice.

It works OK but didn't give me the per plant yield that a scrog gives me. I think it is great if you are limited by a small grow area.:joint4:

If you don't want to deal with scrog screens then this technique is good. Just remember there are multiple ways of doing this, not just 1 right way. You have to find the methods that work best for you. That takes a little time to accomplish. You will also find some strains will take to this method beautifully and some will not.

I do a combination of this AND scrog in my little space. I often do it just as a method of slowing down the vertical growth of the plants that are in veg so that they don't get too tall while I wait for them to get sexually mature.

By the time I put them into flower, they have 8-12 main top colas but then I set my screens and spread the branches out so that I can get more side branching. I will often top some of the faster growing branches to force the side branches to come up faster while slowing the initial branch. I only do this a little so as not to stress the plant much.

You have to be careful with this as you can cause too many branches which can cause the buds to be much smaller. I generally will go back in and remove the lower/smaller branches about the bottom 1/3 of the plant during the first 3 weeks of flower so that energy from the plant isn't dispersed too much. I go in and remove a few branches per plant every few days until I have it like I want it. Doing a little at a time prevents too much stress on the flowering plants.

I generally will top my young plants around the 5th-7th leaf nodes depending on the growth of the plant. You can literally allow the plant to grow for several weeks and then top it back to the 3rd-5th nodes and she will keep on rolling. once the root systems are established you can do a lot of pruning without issue if the plant genes are strong.

I always called that lollipopping. Also, "splitting the plant in two" is simply topping at the first joint. It is not a new concept. Like St. Nick, I found that it did not give the yield that a good scrog will.

I notice he says that with this method the plant gets to harvest faster. I can see no way that this could be true. Every time you top a plant you have a recovery period, which slows growth. And flowering time is whatever it is--no way at all to hasten that up regardless of what he claims (he has a lot of questionable ideas IMO). I caution you to use your own good judgement when visiting his site...

It works OK but didn't give me the per plant yield that a scrog gives me. I think it is great if you are limited by a small grow area.:joint4:

Interesting yeah ok ; my space is slightly limited for size. cheers for the input St_Nick

If you don't want to deal with scrog screens then this technique is good. Just remember there are multiple ways of doing this, not just 1 right way. You have to find the methods that work best for you. That takes a little time to accomplish. You will also find some strains will take to this method beautifully and some will not.

I do a combination of this AND scrog in my little space. I often do it just as a method of slowing down the vertical growth of the plants that are in veg so that they don't get too tall while I wait for them to get sexually mature.

By the time I put them into flower, they have 8-12 main top colas but then I set my screens and spread the branches out so that I can get more side branching. I will often top some of the faster growing branches to force the side branches to come up faster while slowing the initial branch. I only do this a little so as not to stress the plant much.

You have to be careful with this as you can cause too many branches which can cause the buds to be much smaller. I generally will go back in and remove the lower/smaller branches about the bottom 1/3 of the plant during the first 3 weeks of flower so that energy from the plant isn't dispersed too much. I go in and remove a few branches per plant every few days until I have it like I want it. Doing a little at a time prevents too much stress on the flowering plants.

I generally will top my young plants around the 5th-7th leaf nodes depending on the growth of the plant. You can literally allow the plant to grow for several weeks and then top it back to the 3rd-5th nodes and she will keep on rolling. once the root systems are established you can do a lot of pruning without issue if the plant genes are strong.

Thanks Hush. You are correct I don't really fancy bothering with a scrog screen. I like to get in and around my plants if I need to. In the past I have managed ok with tying individual branches back to create a flat "table" canopy. Thanks for the description of your method. 8-12 colas is where I would like to be!
Yes I take the point that this is a way to break the apical dominance and I am tending to agree with your statement that this may work with some strains better than others ie taller stretchier ones.

I always called that lollipopping. Also, "splitting the plant in two" is simply topping at the first joint. It is not a new concept. Like St. Nick, I found that it did not give the yield that a good scrog will.

I notice he says that with this method the plant gets to harvest faster. I can see no way that this could be true. Every time you top a plant you have a recovery period, which slows growth. And flowering time is whatever it is--no way at all to hasten that up regardless of what he claims (he has a lot of questionable ideas IMO). I caution you to use your own good judgement when visiting his site...

Thanks THG - wise words of caution. Yes I did find some of his claims a little overly optimistic. I am in no rush to save time anyway, the method is really an attempt to maximise yield and more evenly control growth and light distribution in the space. Also I have tired of my traditional "s" bend technique of LST as growth at odd angles was a pain in the butt to manage.
Truth be told I don't think I will manifold ALL my plants, just the fastest growing ones so far. Perhaps a variation on a few. One of my plants has naturally split into two nodes from the main trunk as if it had been topped... never seen that before! It actually saddens me to defoliate so drastically haha.

If you have a look over at my current grow journal you will see some fat and juicy emerald vegetation happening - seems a shame to chop it!

Grow Journal here:
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74611

She is about 18" tall from the soil line. I have had to top it every 10 days to keep it out of the lights. Here is a couple of her sister plants currently flowering @ about 50" tall from soil. I do use the screens but more often in my space they end up being more branch support than scrog with the more "Sativa" structure. these 2 are about to finish their 5th week of flower. The space is deceiving as it is 2.5' deep and 4.5' wide. I was holding the camera above my head to view them from slightly above.

View attachment IMG_20170517_210527608_HDR.jpg

Latest posts

Back