Trichrome Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franco3420

Half assed gardener
Reaction score
It's been a long time since I have been on the forums but I am puzzled by the trichomes on my plants. I look at them through my microscope and notice some turning amber. A day or two later, they are no longer amber but turn back to cloudy. Is there something I'm doing wrong? The plants have been flowering for 90 days as of today. This morning upon looking again, some are again amber. Once they turn amber shouldn't they stay that way? I could use any input.

Once trichomes are amber they don't change as the amber is the last color before they die. 90 days is really long to flower. Do you mean they have been growing for 90 days?

Not all the trichomes turn amber at the same time. Different parts of the plant ripen at different times. By the time the trichomes are amber they are dying and degrading. The reason wait until then is because it shows they are just past the peak of ripeness. Take the plants already.

Once trichomes are amber they don't change as the amber is the last color before they die. 90 days is really long to flower. Do you mean they have been growing for 90 days?

No, they are flowering for 90 days.

Not all the trichomes turn amber at the same time. Different parts of the plant ripen at different times. By the time the trichomes are amber they are dying and degrading. The reason wait until then is because it shows they are just past the peak of ripeness. Take the plants already.

Some trichomes are amber but most are just cloudy. I see amber in some but the buds don't stay amber. Very strange!!

Need to harvest my friend. No reason to watch them anymore.

Some trichomes are amber but most are just cloudy. I see amber in some but the buds don't stay amber. Very strange!!

i have gone 90 days more than once and still not gotten more than 5 to 10% amber. when there are only a few ambers, i find i can total better with my most powerful mag lens. a 40 - 60x..

What strain are you growing? Some sativas can take that long. Can you post up a picture?

Here's a question that may sound obvious but do you look at them under special lighting or under full spectrum light (like outside sun)? Certain light spectrums can hide color changes. I have found this to be true for me and the HPS light that I use. I can look at them under the HPS light and not see any amber, then take them out under the sunlight and see upwards of 5-8% turning amber.

Latest posts

Back