How Medical Marijuana Can Help with Sleep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4thstreet1

Reaction score
Medical marijuana has numerous health benefits. It can help you a great deal when fighting cancer, glaucoma, diabetes etc. According to the users of medical marijuana, it’s the best remedy which also offers peripheral benefits. One such benefit of using medical marijuana is “improved sleep”.

Learn different types of sleep disorders and how medical marijuana is helpful in the treatment of these disorders.

I got medical marijuana from a licensed local dispensary that surprisingly helped my mom to sleep well as she was fighting cancer and was not able to sleep throughout the day. Thanks to that MMJ strain!

I recently grew some "Big Buddha Cheese" a heavily indica hybrid hoping that it would help my wife sleep at night. I made canna butter from the buds and trim and we tried adding it to a night time caffeine free tea. It a,ways knocks me right out but my wife just can't go to sleep after drinking this stuff. It was called "Sleepy Time decafinated peach tea, I don't think it is the tea keeping her up as it's intended for bed time. Any suggestions for a better herb strain to try?

Grand daddy purple is a good knock out for me. And i am not easily knocked out. MK Ultra is a good one too.

You know 2RedEyes, I think some people just do not respond to indicas with sleepiness. I personally, have never found a strain that "puts me down". Throughout the years I have looked for a good indica strain that would knock me out at night, but have not found one. There are ones that relax me and ones that make me non-motivational, but none that actually put me to sleep. I find edibles to be a bit better for me, too when looking for something to slow me down and help me sleep.

Just as a side note, Sleepy Time is a name brand and even though the tea is decaffeinated, not all the caffeine is removed when products are decaffeinated. It could be that she is sensitive to caffeine and the small amount of caffeine IS affecting her sleep. Also, how much cannabutter would/could you add to a cup of tea? It may not be enough for her. I would recommend her trying the cannabutter with/on something else to make sure the tea is not causing her sleeplessness.

I've found that edibles have a more up effect for me than smoking, and I have fallen asleep sitting up in my computer chair after smoking northern lights.

I tried it too. but for me it is much easier falling asleep when smoking than eating it. My uncle has a sleep disorder and I will definitely recommend he tried this out.

Marijuana is a psychoactive drug which is used by a number of Medical professionals for the treatment of cancer, insomnia, depression etc. It is used by a lot of people as a drug for sleeping as it doesn't have any side effects but care should be taken while using this. so that a person should not be addicted to this.

I think we're all ignoring the elephant in the room. Go off your pot for a couple days and tell me how well you sleep. I can always tell how good my last grow was by how I sleep. The more mediocre the pot, the less I sleep. A DIRECT CORRELATION if you ask me.
So marijuana is NO better than any other "sleep aid". Addictive, can't sleep without it.
If I run out, it takes me a week of insomnia to WITHDRAW from non-addictive marijuana.

The ONLY medical value I've see in Pot is Glaucoma and that tremor thing, I've never really seen it "work" for anything else.

But for a "high", it has got to be one of the more harmless ones. But everything else is rationalizing. And it is far, far less harmful than anything alcohol or pharma but I still think you have to keep your head up.

Grand daddy purple is a good knock out for me. And i am not easily knocked out. MK Ultra is a good one too.

Maybe that is why I’m passing out before 9 pm every night lately. Umbra’s Grandaddy cross is my fave of this years harvest.

Happy Holidaze all.

I think we're all ignoring the elephant in the room. Go off your pot for a couple days and tell me how well you sleep. I can always tell how good my last grow was by how I sleep. The more mediocre the pot, the less I sleep. A DIRECT CORRELATION if you ask me.
So marijuana is NO better than any other "sleep aid". Addictive, can't sleep without it.
If I run out, it takes me a week of insomnia to WITHDRAW from non-addictive marijuana.

The ONLY medical value I've see in Pot is Glaucoma and that tremor thing, I've never really seen it "work" for anything else.

But for a "high", it has got to be one of the more harmless ones. But everything else is rationalizing. And it is far, far less harmful than anything alcohol or pharma but I still think you have to keep your head up.

I am happy to report that it helps with more than glaucoma. MS, for one, cancer for two, I could go on and on.

I am happy to report that it helps with more than glaucoma. MS, for one, cancer for two, I could go on and on.

It only seems to help because it makes you feel better about a shitty situation. And maybe glaucoma and tremors but I just don't get the painkiller thing, Rose. Try having a fatty before your next trip to the dentist.

It only seems to help because it makes you feel better about a shitty situation. And maybe glaucoma and tremors but I just don't get the painkiller thing, Rose. Try having a fatty before your next trip to the dentist.

That is funny you said that, i am allergic to lidocaine so i have had a crown with nothing but pot on board, been there done that, don't recommend it. LOL

If you wear a "fitbit" you will see that your REM sleep will increase by two hours with cbd/thc on board. It doesn't make you sleep two hours more, just two hours of deeper, healing sleep.

For all those searching for relief, pain, sleep don’t forget edibles, and tincture or capsules containing MJ.
The edibles/ capsules will work more subtly and hopefully allow you to rest, sleep. Salves made with MJ (coconut oil, lecithin, menthol crystals, bees wax) can provide relief from aches and pains, in my experience.

i don't agree with you on it you aren't using it as medicine, it is an addiction. I think everyone that smokes pot is feeling better from it. I think it is all medicine, just fun medicine.

Julie, I have trouble understanding what you are trying to say sometimes, but...you certainly aren't suggesting that if you get high from your medicine that you are abusing it or are an addict, are you? Do you actually know anything about cannabis?!?
I agree with Rosebud 1000%. I have smoked cannabis since the late 60s. I believe that my activity level and general good health are partly because I have consumed cannabis most of my life. I didn't necessarily use it as medicine, but it had beneficial medicinal effects. I also reject the idea of addiction just because you use cannabis recreationally.

Seemingly there’s some amount of morality being interjected, which should be up to the adults in the room, how ever they determine to use MJ.
Strange forum for the “just say no crowd”.

Well, I sure wish it helped me sleep. Up at 5 AM again from pain. It's getting to where I just can't take this pain any longer. It's head to toe and it just never stops. I smoke 5 pounds + a year and it does ZERO for my pain. It does ZERO to help me sleep.

Either the entire world is using pot as a placebo and @sopappy and I are the only 2 that realize it or...... well, maybe we just don't have B1 receptors. LOL Either way, I have smoked 4 joints since 5 AM (almost 6 am now) and between Med Tree high CBD and Cindy99 and Landrace Afghan and a vape full of lemon OG and my pain is still screaming at me.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go towards opiate addiction to get any relief at all. I have a giant stash of Percodan that I guess it's time to break into. I was hoping to put off opiate addiction until later in life but it looks like it's going to be required if I am to get any pain relief at all. I'll start taking them only at bedtime just so I can get a few hours sleep.

Sorry to rant but I have no one else to go to. :(

The good news is... I'll be saving a lot of money on toilet paper. :)

Latest posts

Back