DIY Smart Pot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would stay away from galvanized, nasty stuff, use aluminum instead. Stainless would be best.

Yeah...the zinc oxides in the presence of water.

I wouldn't worry about galvanized--there are still millions and millions of homes in the US with galvanized water lines. Other than the fact that galvanized pipe are hard as !@#$% to work on, there is nothing wrong with galvanized and water.

I ordered fabric the yesterday. I will be making some pots to match the space I have to grow in now. And I found a cord for my camera and I normally have plenty of time unless something weird comes up, so not excuses for me.
So did you ever end up making those?

LOL, no. I still have the fabric sitting there. I have moved back to the mountains even though we still have a lot of snow. I just got too homesick. And then when I got here there just seemed so much to do. I will get to it one of these first days....trying to get a quilt done for a friend of mine whose b-day is the middle of March right now.

geotextile? landscape fabric? the amazon link didn't work. mum's the word on the "patented" material used to make smart pots, apparently. i've heard of ecofelt. anyway, i want to make 48 200-gallon smart pots. need an affordable, bulk material. The manufactured 200-gallon pots are all too tall. i want to make one seven feet in diameter and a foot and a half high (7' x 18"). please, anyone, if you have undertaken large DIY smart pots (not 5-gals!) and succeeded, chime in! i need to find the cheapest bulk fabric that still breathes. anyone. weirdly hard to pin this down. $5/yard, by the way, is not cheap, not when making large pots like these. peace.

just found this:

https://www.mjp.com/ic/showthread.php?t=201016

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back