New to the site and to growing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, hows it going. I was searching the net for some tips on growing indoors and stumbled upon this site. This is the first time ive attempted to grow and i have 2 plants so far. One is about 2 weeks and the other a couple days. I am still waiting for about 5 more to sprout. I havent got my final setup yet, ive just been growing them in my window for now cause i am away at college during the week. I am thinking of using an old reptile aquarium when i get off for winter and putting them in that. Im on a small budget for now, being a poor college student. I have been reading up on proper lighting and what not and i am thinking of going with flourescents for economic purposes. I just have a couple questions.

Would a store like lowes have all the supplies i will need for growing.

What are yalls opinions on miracle grow soil, with fertilizerp pre-added, i have all my plants except the oldest in this soil. The oldest is in some soil i dug out of the yard, i know i didnt put much effort into the 1st plant.

Any other tips, hints, or anything you want to add will be cool.

Get an HPS light. A 150 watt light will only be around 100 or less if you look around. Flos are good for a lot of things but if you are on a tight budget that light will perform the best. It will light up to a 2x2 area at most.

hmmm... maybe others here add to this comment, but I think you want to keep that plant you put in outdoor dirt seperate from your other kids, as that dirt is not sterilized and may contaminate your other ones. bugs and stuff will/may be living in that outdoor soil, so you don't want to be infecting your whole crop. that's just my opinion... maybe others here have another opinion?

Ya its not a great idea to bring outside inside we know that, but since you aren't working with a lot of plants and are trying to learn then you should make sure your area is really clean. To help prevent any bugs especially mites you should get neem oil from a hydro store or online, its a great defense against mites. Remember cleanliness is of the highest priority.:D

Welcome to MP. Glad to have ya here and hope to see ya around. Enjoy the site! ;)

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully with some time and help from this site ill be growing some good greenery in no time.

Latest posts

Back