HPS Bulb Question - Need a quick response

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmo

Ganja Farmer
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I woke up this morning to an unlit closet. My ballast was making a humming noise but I could not get it to fire the hps bulb. I tried for an hour or so (with plenty of time between firings to let the bulb and ballast cool down) with no luck. I put my MH bulb in and it works. I have come to the conclusion it is the bulb is broken and I need a new one. I know that both Lowes and Home Depot sell a 400w HPS bulb (Lowes sells a Sylvania and HD sells a Phillips). My question is, which one is better? I need to go get this bulb TODAY! Quick responses are appreciated.

I asked htgsupply this same question. I had a bulb from HD and they said it was the same as theres(agromax) and for me to get a M/H from them with my digital balast since I already had the hps. hope that helps

Reactions: gmo
gmo said:
I put my MH bulb in and it works. I know that both Lowes and Home Depot sell a 400w HPS bulb

Either bulb is fine, your ballast runs both MH and HPS?
I use sylvania

Yes I have a digital greenhouse ballast. The digi' s allow you to use both.

Mine runs a conversion MH bulb. Thanks for the responses to both of you!

i run the sylvania . a 400 hps for $20.00 from menards...bb...

I got the one at Home Depot, it is a Phillips 400w HPS bulb. Works just fine and it is probably puttin' out more lumens (because it is new) than my nearly 2 year old GrowBright bulb from HTG. Growbright says it is 55k lumens and the HD Phillips bulb says 50k, but I imagine that the extra 5k lumens could be exagerrated a bit to sell more bulbs at a higher cost.

Thanks again to everyone for the quick, to the point, responses.

Latest posts

Back