Caribbean urged to look at positive values of marijuana

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Caribbean governments are being urged to allow for the cultivation and exportation of marijuana for medical purposes despite it being an illegal drug in all Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries.

“People are always talking about the young men on the streets and blocks who are selling marijuana, but what we need to do is to get them involved in agriculture by encouraging them to plant marijuana for the pharmaceutical market,” said Amsale Maryam of the Association of Developmental Agencies in Jamaica.

She was contributing to the discussion on “Rural Livelihood” as part of the Caribbean Regional Civil Society Consultation, which is being used to prepare the People’s Forum communiqué for the November 27-29 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM).

She told the meeting that, for instance, the cocoa plant is used for purposes other than the production of cocaine.

“By removing the youths from the streets and getting them involve in the cultivating of marijuana, we will not only see a reduction in crime but there will be a reduction in violent activities.

“This is the approach we have to take because marijuana can bring in some serious revenue,” she said, arguing that for too long “ the entire focus has being on the recreational use but its time we get away from that thinking and think beyond, the pharmaceutical industry need marijuana as a major ingredient for medication”.

Barbadian Hermon “Bongo” Lowe said the issue should be placed on the agenda for the CHOGM.

“Ganja (marijuana) is and continues to play a role in the development of the Caribbean and this needs to be discussed.

“I believe that once the right approach is adopted, ganja has the potential the change the outlook for the Caribbean. Not only will it help with creating agricultural and other high paying jobs but we can actually create a huge industry out of this.”

Lowe said he has research on the issue and is satisfied that marijuana can bring significant revenue to the region.

“Marijuana is used in the production of many medicines and that is the market we have to target, not those who are using it for recreational use. The pharmaceutical industry is using the marijuana extracts for all kinds of medicines and we can produce that industry with the raw material,” he added.

The Commonwealth Foundation, in collaboration with the Barbados-based Caribbean Policy Development Centre is hosting the three consultations that are geared towards identifying the impact of the economic and financial crises in the Caribbean, as well as to share information on climate change initiatives.

Delegates from the region will also revisit and propose alternatives to the ideological underpinnings of current models of development and to forge current partnerships based on common goals and complimentary resources, the organisers said.

“This consultation is one of the several civil society consultations, seminars and workshops taking place across the Commonwealth in preparation for the Commonwealth People’s Forum which will form an integral part of the November meeting,” said Seth Lartey, Programme Manager of the Commonwealth Foundation.

hxxp://shuurl.com/P5288

News Flash--the punk-axe ganstas on the street don't really wanna embrace such base and lowly futures as farming.

Who makes up this crap? There's gotta be a room fulla bored rich smarties somewhere who drink a bunch of coffee and say stuff like: Hey, hey, I got it, and then we'll tell 'em--he-he-he-he--they should try to get all the thugs to go back to the farms and, get this--he-he-he-he--sweat out an honest days work. They all knee slap until they come up with another one just as ridiculous: Hey, I've got one, guys--what say we get a really dumb jerk and put him in the White House just for laughs? Ah man, what fun that'll be, huh?

Not fully true PH.
Id say the majority of the dealers in those countries are just trying to eat and feed their family.
Then the amount that are forced into it because they dont have a choice. Just live in the wrong place.
Ive been to some of these countries. Once out "resort" areas. Its a 3rd world country.
Im not saying its a "Fix All". Im not even sure the idea is going to work, because so many of them are just trying to eat. Take that dealing away from them. How would they go about getting their next meal?
I know if my kids were hungry, Id do whatever it took outside murder to feed them. Its something the people of like Haiti and Jamaica face daily.

Yeah, I know. I've been to some of those countries too. Shanty Town in Jamaica, circa 1972, is about as bad as it gets--nothing much more than paint holding half those cribs together.

Was just poking fun at politicos who are totally disconnected from reality. The big fat secret is EDUCATION. We can't just chunk some guy from the streets on a farm and say, Get growing, anymore than you could put him in a factory or an office cubicle without some learnin'.

From what I see here when down in the "hood" is that the people out selling are boys. I'm sure some have guns and some have worse, but what always astounds me is how freakin young they are. Not young men--boys, kids, children. It's heartbreaking. Glad I'm not on the committee in charge of that.

Yea its heartbreaking. And some of the plans they come up with are so ridiculous its laughable.
Remember not to many years back. Picked up a bag outside the resort district and hit a bar. (dirt floor and everything) And this bigtime guy walked in sitting next to me bragging about making 100dollars that week. Was talkin bout moving to a better area for him and his family and everything. He was probably around 20. Seemed like a good smart kid that if he just had the proper education and opportunities could of made it a long ways.

FrutyBud, thanks for your continuous info on this subjuct.

i think its good that the Carribean nations are willing to think for themselves instead of doing what the USA wants.

Latest posts

Back