yield and harvesting time outdoors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoky2U

Reaction score
Hi there.

I have enjoyed this website for 2 years now without having signed up. There are many great posts here that have made my hobby fun to enjoy. I have grown weed as a hobby for about 2 years or so both indoors and outdoors. I have Mango, KC36, KC39, Northern Lights, Sweet, and a fast growing unknown strain that a friend gave me. I have 2 1000k lights in a 50 sq foot room with proper ventilation.

I have a few questions that have been bothering me for a while. I can't seem to find the answers anywhere.

Providing my plants are: well watered, fed, lit, etc - will my yield be affected because I am growing different types. My plants are of different heights and strains, though they are becoming more uniform in height, I have placed my taller plants on the outside walls and my shorter plants on the inside of my room. Would my yield increase if I grew only 1 type. Adjusting my two lights has been a little challenging.

My second question refers to outside growing. I live in the Northern Hemisphere where the grow season is shorter. Most growers start their plants inside in May and place them outside in June after the last frost and harvest sometime in September before the first frost.

My question is if I were start my plants inside veg for 3-4 weeks under 24 h of light and flower them for 4 weeks inside under 12 h of light and then put them outside to grow around mid June, would my plants continue to flower.

Would I expect to harvest my plants 6 weeks later?

Thanks and I look forward to reading your posts

Hello and welcome,

as for inside set you light height high enough for the larger plants and then sit the smaller ones on crates or somthing to get an even canopy, thats will give you the best shot at maximizing your harvest.

if you put the plant outside in june it will revert back to veg and finish at the same time as others, assuming you have more than 12 hours of daylight in your area in june, outdoor flowering will start somtime in August.

Thanks DMAN for your quick reply. When it comes to flowering, how long flowering time would be needed for the plants to complete their cycle before they went back to veg status.

well most strains (indica) take 8-10 weeks to flower, but if they are introduced to veg lighting (14 hrs of daylight or more) they will go back to veg
no matter how far along they are, in the early spring the daylight will be short enough to finish your flower outside but then you may have temp issues, you can also put them outside and cover them say every day at 8pm and uncover every morning at 8 am but this is alot of work and leaves no room for error.

I have had experience changing indoor seedlings/clones to outdoor, and am getting less revedging this way. How I anticipate the hours of light is to vedge my plants at the amount of time that the sun will be shinning when I put them out. I use this link,

hxxp://www.calendar-updates.com/sun.asp?PostalCode=96019&Submit=Get+Sunrise+%2F+Sunset+Times&sunrise=6%3A57AM&sunset=5%3A54PM&mos=February&day=21&year=2010&ZIPDST=Y&City=Douglas+City&Province=California&latDeg=40&latMin=40&latSec=18&lonDeg=122&lonMin=54&lonSec=1&hrsToGMT=8&cities=&dayAns=

(change xx to tt) I put in the date I anticipate my plants will go outside and get the hours I will run my indoor lights for vedging the girls. (If May 15 has 14 hours of daylight, I run my indoor plants at 14 hours.) This way, I have had less revedging issues. I hate revedging my girls when they have just eight weeks, give or take, to get the growth that the sun will give them. Then if all has gone well and there is no revedging, I have flowers comming on beginning of August. I harvest end of September, but have been able to use tarps (for rain and frost protection)to hold off harvest till mid October. I also try to run the indica dom varieties. That makes for a shorter flower time. I have found NorthernLights to be my best producer this last year. Short bud covered bushes. Excellent smoke, overall the best in the garden, wtih GrandDaddyPurple taking second.

Good luck to you and Welcome to MP offically.

I always started my plants (seedlings and clones)under floros indoors under and 18hr light schedule, and I never have had a problem with them when I take them out in the spring. I made sure to harden them off first.

Latest posts

Back