Reggae, ska, Caribbean music

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
West Indian music is so inextricaby linked with pot that it goes without saying that many of the readers listen to it. Discuss.

Here is a list of reggae genres with which to start: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggae_genres

Of course I prefer skinhead reggae and ska. Lee "Scratch" Perry, Laurel Aitken, Derrick Morgan, Symarip, Toots and the Maytals, et al. I dig calypso and dub and some roots reggae. I like ska because you can dance to it (though I cannot dance).

Huge fan of Midnite and 10 ft Ganja Plant . All the old skool roots reggae from the 70's and 80's I love too.

Love all the Trojan collections! Old Ska and skinhead reggae is some of my fav

Hey everyone... I like much of this as well, but if you cross the big pond and go (back) to Africa, you will find some awesome reggae - oui, en français - by Alpha Blondy.

Check out this vid: hXXp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owaQ9qg1Hwc

Maybe not everyone's cuppa - I like it though. Anyone know of other reggae /ska in other languages?

Cheers!

I dig reggae and reggae influenced music....big Sublime fan and my guilty pleasure is old school No Doubt. :)

Hamster Lewis said:
I dig reggae and reggae influenced music....big Sublime fan and my guilty pleasure is old school No Doubt. :)

Hey HL - ltns - The other day I'm in the CVS of all places and then I hear Ms Stefani's voice doing: "It's My Life" which, I know is not early ND, but still kinda interesting that you mention it here ;)

I just d/l-ed the Hits from 1994-2003. I'm very glad to have seen them some years back.

Cheers,

Lol I was a scooter boy when i was 15-20 not a mod btw just a scooterboy who rode scooters listened to soul/ska/motown and the likes probs was nearer to a suedehead than a mod.
Lol
T4

Latest posts

Back