New to all this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right guys so i am ready to begin getting my equipment ordered. Following your advice i am 90% sure i will be going with this set up; for veggging a 4x4ft tent with the 4ft 8bulb HO T5. Flowering in going with the 5x5ft and two 600w hps lights. Getting a 6" rhino filter and a pair or 6" clip on fans for circulation. The extraction i can put directly out of an existing external air vent and can pull in cool air via a 6" fan and 6" ducting directly from outside if needs be. Need some advice as far as nutrients go and also pot sizes. I have ordered 5 feminised white widow seeds from a reputable store(dna genetics). Just the bits and pieces to decide upon now. Don't worry i am not rushing into it.

Just my 2 cents but I have used General Hydroponics Flora series for years now and would not even think of switching. They don't cost a lot, are easy to use and work great. As for pots, I roll a little differently than most. I use One Gallon pots. smart pots if I have the choice.

If I am not growing organic, I also use the General Hydroponics Flora series nutes. I love them and have tried different nute lines over the years, but GH are my favorite.

iI recommend going with at least 3 gal pots. Start with the seeds in something small and transplant up. If transplanting is done correctly, there is no reason at all for them to experience shock. I generally start seeds in rapid rooters or sown directly into the soil. I do not like to germinate them in paper towels or soak them in water. Fresh seeds should germinate just fine sewn directly into soil (use a seed starting soil with NO nutrients in it)Every time you handle a sprouted seed, you take a chance of damaging the tap root or passing pathogens to the plant, so I plant into the medium. I use Solo cups first and then go to 1 gal containers and then into 3 gal containers. A general rule of thumb is one gal of pot size for every foot of height.

I'd change the 600 to 1000 watt HPS. Your setup is very close to mine. I use a 2 foot 4 bulb T5 for seedlings then a 4 foot 8 bulb T5 for veg . Then I flower with a 1000watt HPS. It works well. Some say 2 x600 watt is better . Can't wait to see your grow bro positive vibes

Also just wondering is it possible to have too many lumens per square ft ? IM strongly considering two 1000w hps. The ones ive looked at supposedly pump out 155 lumens per watt.

Also just wondering is it possible to have too many lumens per square ft ? IM strongly considering two 1000w hps. The ones ive looked at supposedly pump out 155 lumens per watt.

I guess you could but until you get up over 10,000 lumens per square foot I would not worry so long as you can keep temps in check. 5000 is a minimum. I personally used to shoot for 7500 minimum. Jmo

Temps shouldn't be an issue. Ill have a few fans keeping air circulation good and if needed i have a air conditioner i van use to feed cold air directly into the mix. Wish i could have you guys here with me whilst i get my first grow underway. Who fancies an all expenses paid trip to the uk for a month lol

Wish i could have you guys here with me whilst i get my first grow underway. Who fancies an all expenses paid trip to the uk for a month lol

Lol...too cold for me this time of year. Now if you said Negril I would be on a plane tomorrow. :)

You will be fine. We all made mistakes when we first started out. Honestly that is the best way to learn IMO. We are here to help if you need us.

Temps shouldn't be an issue. Ill have a few fans keeping air circulation good and if needed i have a air conditioner i van use to feed cold air directly into the mix. Wish i could have you guys here with me whilst i get my first grow underway. Who fancies an all expenses paid trip to the uk for a month lol

You will need an extraction fan--some kind of centrifuge type fan. That is the only thing that will work with a carbon filter like that. Also, ventilation is for more than keeping a space cool. Plants need a good supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis. You cannot just move around existing air in your space. You need to continually being exhausting old air and bringing in fresh air. I really like to exchange the air in my space 3-4 times as minute. Most of use actually use passive intakes with a good exhaust fan.

LOL--wish I could come visit--wouldn't that be a fun job...just popping around the world setting up grow spaces. However we are only a few key strokes away and pictures help a huge amount when we are helping others set up a space.

You are going to make a certain amount of mistakes--that is just part of life. So, don't let them get you down, just try to figure out what went wrong and how to avoid it next time. Even after decades of growing, I have failures and make stupid mistakes.

That would be amazing but alas not to be :(
Turns out i am going to be moving house soon so no point starting anything just yet.
Strongly considering building my own light proof grow room instead of having separate tents. That way i can custom make the exact sizes and intake/outake vents.

So i have been playing with a few ideas for a grow room. My main concern is keeping all the heat in so that I wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb on a thermal camera, its how people are caught where i live. Would 12mm mdf filled with 200mm insulation be enough to combat the heat signature ?

WELCOME BRO! If your seeking the best knowledge in the world about growing, you've come to the right place! Welcome and have fun!

Also as to this:
So i have been playing with a few ideas for a grow room. My main concern is keeping all the heat in so that I wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb on a thermal camera, its how people are caught where i live. Would 12mm mdf filled with 200mm insulation be enough to combat the heat signature ?

Ive heard of this, and apparently they have a type of film that you put on your ceiling and it hides your heat signature. I'm not sure what its called or where to get it but, might want to line your area with this stuff if you find out. Also, here's a link more about it I found, hope this helps!
http://www.420magazine.com/forums/how-grow-marijuana/72239-how-can-i-minimize-my-heat-signature.html

Another thing, is in order to know if its adequate ventilation, we need to know what dimensions your grow room is?

Well my grow room is still drawings and price comparisons at the moment. If its going to be a permanent space as opposed to a tent then i think i will make it alot larger than i need to give me room to expand in future. Perhaps even make removable partitioned walls till that time. Cant see it going larger than 8ftx8ft and around 7 foot high. Gives enough room to manoeuvre easily and plenty of room for any essential grow equipment.

do you get snow in the winter---7' ceiling sounds like u will have a bit of dead space to the actual roof top---if that's the case---you might consider spreading the heat closest to the roof line with fans---this will lessen the hot spot of the room on the roof top and appear as though the space is a finished living area when your roof is the only roof on the block with melted snow---the other biggie is insulation insulation insulation

Yeah insulation i have got covered found some rolls of top quality insulation and the whole room will be cocooned lol and yeah we get the odd flurry of snow and sub zero weather.

Well I am back guys after a brief spell of bad luck with the law and aload of ** to boot. Moving in to a new property on Friday next week so will begin preparations once im settled in.

Baddestruffest
Welcome back. Sorry you got busted and ****. That dose really suk! Glad you are free and farming again.

Also with wanting to grow on a perpetual cycle thinking of having multiple veg and flower rooms.

Latest posts

Back