Has anyone tried water curing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sopappy

Reaction score
I stumbled across water curing on the interweb and was intrigued.
I found myself in a jam with plants I ran out of time to flush...and I don't think I've EVER been able to let a plant cure for a month, let alone a couple weeks! So, I'm trying it.
VERY scary. I've made bubble hash and it really, really bothered me putting fresh cut buds in to water but it's done.

I am checking the trichromes every water change and they look fine.
But my waste water is yellowish green and doesn't smell bad, in fact the first one was lovely. All those terpenes going I guess :-(
I'm using RO water 70F changing twice a day
I plan on stopping after 7 days and tossing it all in a dehydrator on lowest (95F)

Insane?

View attachment drowning.jpg

Interesting....can you take a dropper off the " Yellowish/Green " water and look at it under a microscope?....See whats going on?...I was not worried with Bubble...But Im interested in how you Dry it after this water cure.

Best of Luck

waste water 120ppm 12 hours ago and it's 50 this morning, something's happening in that water but the trikes looked a little scary though, I saw many that were just the stalk. And sure is a lot of green, water only slightly tinged
Looks like I've fornicated skyward yet again.

I don't quite understand water curing. It was my understanding that a lot of the cannabinoids exist as acids-- THCA, CBDA, etc, and that these are water soluble. This is the reason that we decarb before we make something like bubble hash. Is this not correct?

Perhaps it has something to do with the THCa and CBDa and the other acids still being inside the resin glands/trichomes.

I have heard of water curing and the people that do it like it but I don't know anything about it.

Where did you get your initial instructions on how to do it?

Just in case, you might want to run the waste water through some bubble bags.

Perhaps it has something to do with the THCa and CBDa and the other acids still being inside the resin glands/trichomes.

I have heard of water curing and the people that do it like it but I don't know anything about it.

Where did you get your initial instructions on how to do it?

Just in case, you might want to run the waste water through some bubble bags.

interweb again, maybe half a dozen posts, common thread I liked was
no need for a flush
more potent (we'll see)
stealth smoking and transport

on the downside
laclustre appeal visual and smell, terpenes gone :-(
more potent but smaller yield (or something like that)

the vague stuff was:
taste from bland to superb but all said smooth
waste water comments from none to horrible
(mine smells nice, slight yel geen tinge)

still confused about chloryphyll
not water soluble but supposed to leech in to water
plant should lose green colour, mine still plenty green

also nervous about hydrator but air flow is sloooow, temps still seem high though even at 90F (lowest setting)

I don't quite understand water curing. It was my understanding that a lot of the cannabinoids exist as acids-- THCA, CBDA, etc, and that these are water soluble. This is the reason that we decarb before we make something like bubble hash. Is this not correct?

short story is all the crappy stuff is water soluble (except terpenes unfortunately) and the trikes aren't. ((caveat: unless water is cold)
65-75ok, my RO water storage sits in a tub in the basement at about 57F, nobody talked much about that in their water changes so I mention it here.

I'm nervous about that. They looked fine first 4 water changes but I saw some missing heads this morning, all I saw was the stalk...
I have a macro setting but can't light the area under the lens

No, not just the crappy stuff. THCA is water soluble. THCA is THC with an extra molecule attached. Heat and or time, will cause the THCA to become THC. So, if THCA is water soluble, you will be losing THC when you put it into water. Otherwise why do we decarb bud before we make bubble hash? My understanding has always been that you will lose a bunch of the cannabinoids if the THCA and CBDA are not converted to THC and CBD. Also, cold water will not dissolve THC, ice/cold water makes the resin glands easier to remove from the plant material.

THG how soluble is THCA? I wash my plants with a shower head after harvest and sometimes i soak 5 minutes in H2O2 solution and then shower. I noticed a difference in taste that becomes smoother and cleaner after washing. I did not test potency before and after but I am very pleased with the potency so now I wonder am I losing any potency with this method of washing?

I just did a quick search on this and found a couple papers but nothing 100%.

It appears the acids are water soluble but the resin glands themselves are not.

So, you may loose some glands in the process of washing if you are rough (same as you would loose some dry if you were rough) but as long as the little trichomes don't break open, the acids will not wash off.

You might want to Google it yourself but that's the way it looked to me on a quick search.

I never understood water curing anyway. It seems like a lot of the trics would come off in the process.

Although, the first time I made ice water hash, it seemed pretty crazy, too. LOL

Let us know how it all turns out.

Day 3, some say I'm done at 3, one article insisted on 7
this morning the ppms were ZERO,
(nobody talked about ppms, that's the excess nutes, no?)
The water is clearest yet but still green tinge and odour.

I looked at the trikes and they look fine.
I thought it was supposed to go brownish, still plenty o' green

THG how soluble is THCA? I wash my plants with a shower head after harvest and sometimes i soak 5 minutes in H2O2 solution and then shower. I noticed a difference in taste that becomes smoother and cleaner after washing. I did not test potency before and after but I am very pleased with the potency so now I wonder am I losing any potency with this method of washing?

Yikes! I would worry about the shower spray dislodging trichromes.
Check after a good spray, I'd like to know...
I won't even pour the fresh RO over the pot in a container,
I gently lower the pot in to the pot...
If the trikes can handle your onslaught, holleeeee, I'm overkill man.
and what temp is the water?

No, not just the crappy stuff. THCA is water soluble. THCA is THC with an extra molecule attached. Heat and or time, will cause the THCA to become THC. So, if THCA is water soluble, you will be losing THC when you put it into water. Otherwise why do we decarb bud before we make bubble hash? My understanding has always been that you will lose a bunch of the cannabinoids if the THCA and CBDA are not converted to THC and CBD. Also, cold water will not dissolve THC, ice/cold water makes the resin glands easier to remove from the plant material.

Boy, I hope your wrong about losing THC, but can't be much worse than this pot I just bought, tight hard buds, dry as hell, like chinese food, hungry again 10 minutes
this water cure is supposed to be more potent

Only thing I could find on THC-A was that coke hash
https://thejointblog.com/thca-crystalline/

"THC-A by itself is completely inactive, meaning if it is ingested it will not get you high (but it does have an extraordinary amount of medicinal benefits). When THC-A is activated through heat in a process called decarboxylation, the acidic carbon atom (the “A” in THC-A) is removed leaving behind the psychoactive THC that so many of us know and love" -the interweb

bummer about the medicinal benefits but you don't get them either, doesn't make sense, why would you de-carb ???

So don't worry about those tric's coming off in water, i put my outdoor harvested girls in th e kitchen sink and spray off the dirt with my kitchen sprayer and then spin them in the salad spinner, doesn't hurt them a bit. They are tough like that. We decarb when we smoke it, but for cooking, yep gotta decarb.

If the above is redundant just smoke some more pot.:vap-Bong_smoker:

lol Rose I think that the shower is not doing any bad on the contrary, they seem to taste cleaner after that and the potency is so high. It is a couple of minutes shower after i hang the plants with a string and they spin lightly as I shower them. Some plants that show PM spots or pests are also soaked in H2O2 for 5 minutes before the shower. I was wondering as I read what THG said about THCA solubility in water about how soluble it is and how fast it dissolves. From my personal experience it is worth it to wash the plants.

A lot of people spray and soak their plants. Especially outdoor growers.

I can't believe that washing it doesn't loose a lot of trics but..... people who do it say it doesn't.

It's one thing I have never tried.

LOL--I guess that I am still wondering if we need to decarb before we make hash?

I am one of those that used to put my plants in the shower and give them a good spraying if I had mites. It never seemed to affect the potency. So tell me again why we decarb?

LOL--I guess that I am still wondering if we need to decarb before we make hash?

I am one of those that used to put my plants in the shower and give them a good spraying if I had mites. It never seemed to affect the potency. So tell me again why we decarb?

You decarb before you make hash? Never heard of that. It will decarb when you smoke the hash. Must make your hash taste funny. Ice water or dry sift?

We only decarb to eat.

I thought de-carb was just for edibles myself.

All very reassuring reading these posts about spraying the plant. I pulled the plants out of the bath and they are SOAKED, DRENCHED, no way I could "leave these to dry as normal" as one article said. They would be literally dripping on to the floor, in the dark, mold city.
I put them in this nifty dehydrator and have it on low, 90-110F, gentle breeze, 4 hours to go
I still see plenty of chlorryphil, no browning at all which is nice visually
terpenes definitely gone though, that's the price for stealth smoke I guess :-(

View attachment lots o green.jpg

View attachment wet .jpg

Latest posts

Back