Lights, camera, bud pic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nvthis said:
Tc, thanks for your input on your outdoor techniques. I am very much looking forward to hearing more on 'the subject'.

Do you use a tripod? Or just wing it on the go? Also, when shooting outdoors in lower light conditions, do you use the manual settings? Or is the auto better? (I am almost inclined to think auto as the light changes so quickly that time of day I don't think I would want to spend all my picture taking time fooling with adjustments.. But IDK);)

I have a Digital C-740 Ultra Zoom Olympus Camedia, it has writing all over it, but I think that is the name. My bro got a new camera a few years back, bout the time I got my first Internet computer and he sold me his old camera...this one. The manual is almost half an inch thick, x 3x4. I got to the point in it that I can shoot a pic and never picked it up again. NOT a good idea..but I was so freaking tired of reading manuals at that time, that I didnt read it. I recommend reading the manual on your camera.

I use the Auto setting the most. I use the flash when it tells me too. I have tried using the flash when the arrow is not on, but...it sometimes does not work, and sometimes does. I need to read the manual.:rolleyes:

I also have a card that goes in it that takes 160 pics about. Another that takes 50, so I stay with the 160. That way the 50 is the reserve card, just in case.

One day we were at a fish hatchery, I was watching the fish jump and jump. So, I thot to get a fish jumping pic....yeah right. I took maybe fifty pics..one after another and this is the best I could do. You can see in the second pic that three fish were jumping at once and still I could not get them good.

Moral to story, READ YOUR MANUAL, lol. If I had read the manual, I could have taken a short vid of the fish jumping.

IN EDIT, I use the hold your breath and shoot technique. Works real good. Take deep breath, and shoot the pic. I have sometimes put my camera on something and timer'd it, to take a group pic with me included..dif camera tho.

4mp4.JPG

4mp 5.JPG

I have plans!

But remember these three very simple guidelines:
1 - consider what the subject will be, or the theme the photograph will express
2- apply techniques to focus attention on the subject
3 - simplify the composition. Make sure there is no distractions in the fore/background ( I will show you tricks on how to do this later)

tcbud said:
One day we were at a fish hatchery, I was watching the fish jump and jump. So, I thot to get a fish jumping pic....yeah right. I took maybe fifty pics..one after another and this is the best I could do. You can see in the second pic that three fish were jumping at once and still I could not get them good.

You have a good little camera there TC but, it's really hard to 'stop' motion if your camera is not 'fast' enough (the hesitation when you push your shutter button down to take the pic) OR if your camera can take 'multiple' shots at once (like a burst of 3 fast pics) try that setting too

EDIT: I just looked at the specs of your camera, try using "Continuous Shooting Speed 2 frames per second, 1.4 frames per second" for your shots like that

Hey Tc, I have a request to make of you for next years outdoor grow.. Check out this pic and see if you can make it work! ;)

jhv.jpg

Cool! is that a crop from a pic you took

Qman said:
Cool! is that a crop from a pic you took

Noooooo... lol, No way man! It's just a pic I had on my comp. that I thought was really cool and would make for a great October (Halloween) bud pic. I would want to put a little light on the front of the bud, but the whole silhouette thing would be super sweet.

NV, my grow is in the mountains...lol..by the time the moon comes over the mountian behind me...it is big and bright. You get that full Huge look by taking the pic as it goes above the horizon, where there are the most particals in the air between you and the moon. As you can surmise in that pic you posted, the moon is not far from the horizon or the light post would not be in the pic.

I got this moon shot on the coast....after it cleared the horizon, it still looks kinda big...I wasnt there when it came up, or it would have looked bigger in a photo.

4mp 6.JPG

Haha! Sorry Tc, I'm afraid even the mountains won't hide you from this quest!;)

images
Scientists Offer Answer to Baffling Lunar Illusion
By Greg Clark
Staff Writer
posted: 08:27 am ET
05 January 2000

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
Anyone attempting to photograph a fat orange full moon rising on the horizon will undoubtedly be disappointed upon viewing the resulting image.
Rather than seeing the enormous orb the photographer remembers, the moon appears as a small circular spot, as interesting as an aspirin hanging against a twilight background.
This is lunar illusion at work: A trick of perception seems to exaggerate the size of the moon when it is near the horizon. While it isno closer or farther away from the viewer on Earth, the low-hanging moon appears a good deal larger than it seems when elevated higher in the nighttime sky.
The popular explanation is that the moon looks bigger when you have something to compare it to. Seeing the moon compared to other objects -- trees, buildings, mountains -- makes it appear larger. The moon alone in the middle of the sky has no surrounding frame of reference, so it appears smaller.

Certainly this is the case, but it doesn't explain what happens in the human brain to change the viewer's perception. Why should a comparison to features on the ground change the way we perceive the moon? What trick is the brain playing that makes the moon appear to change size?
Thinkers throughout history have struggled to explain the illusion, and today the little-understood phenomenon is still a subject of controversy.
Two opposing theories vie for acceptance, but they are contradictory: One suggests that the horizon moon appears large because visual cues in the intervening landscape make the moon seem far away. The other idea says those same cues make the same moon appear closer.

Ok, but I still think it would be fun... I am sure there is a special lens that is needed here to bring the background up so close. Sheesh, ya party pooper!:p
[/FONT][/FONT]

Hey, I read somewhere that if you turn your back on a rising full moon, bend over at the waste and look at the moon between your legs, it gets even BIGGER and whiter!!!!! Wider??? Hahaha! Oooh man! :rofl: No, but really, they say the moon will return to normal size if viewed in this fashion. I dunno though... Hmm.. Think I will have to get my daughter to try it first!!:D

nvthis said:
Hey, I read somewhere that if you turn your back on a rising full moon, bend over at the waste and look at the moon between your legs, it gets even BIGGER and whiter!!!!! Wider??? Hahaha! Oooh man! :rofl: No, but really, they say the moon will return to normal size if viewed in this fashion. I dunno though... Hmm.. Think I will have to get my daughter to try it first!!:D

Yeah you can do that or you can also use a paper clip as a caliper and measure the size of the moon when it is at the horizon and also when it is overhead...it will be the same size...also there is a way to see that it is an optical illusion with a sheet of paper with a hole in it...just a trick of our mind..it's the same size on the horizon as anywhere else in the night sky...

Checkout this link>>>>hxxp://www.howstuffworks.com/question491.htm

you can see the illusion at work by moving the lil guy in the hallway....

Cool Hammy, thanks!;)

But the question still remains...

HOW do you make the shot????? I mean there is obviously a difference between Tc's moon and the moon in the other picture....

Great thread. I love great pics. One day I will upgrade my Coolpix. I am watching and learning. Keep it coming.

Okay Ladies came out for a watering and some pics were taken...tried a cpl towards the end while covering up about 90% of the flash...nothing special

I like this one the best though...IMG_0354-1.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0347-1.JPG
    IMG_0347-1.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0348-1.JPG
    IMG_0348-1.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0349-1.JPG
    IMG_0349-1.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0350-1.JPG
    IMG_0350-1.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_0352-1.JPG
    IMG_0352-1.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0353-1.JPG
    IMG_0353-1.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 251
You got some healthy lookin' plants there brother. What were you trying to cover the flash with? And what was the outcome you were hoping for? The pics look very nice. You seem to make your trichomes really pop out (just like your BPOTM photo). Do you do anything to help this?

Hey Hammy, I got a question for you... How on earth do you get a pic in the middle of your text??? You have the photo box, but then you have the one pic on top of the photo box. How'dya do that?????:D

2 nl 5 and 1 blue widow bud...

Nvthis..I know the pics look awful with the overhead hps light on but when budding how do you get good pics during the dark time? do you just go in 15 minutes before the light change?

122709 004.jpg

122709 005.jpg

122709 002.jpg

2Dog said:
2 nl 5 and 1 blue widow bud...

Nvthis..I know the pics look awful with the overhead hps light on but when budding how do you get good pics during the dark time? do you just go in 15 minutes before the light change?

2dog, a most excellent question! The answer is both yes and no. Yes, you can go in and shoot during lights out, but I wouldn't recommend it. It would probably be easier to just turn your HPS off for a bit during lights on, if that is what you wanted to do. But really, having a good understanding of your camera functions should suffice, even under your HPS. A simple adjustment to your white balance (Q will go into this in a little more depth, I am sure) will take care of the yellow wash. The balance features on my camera read flo1, flo2, flo3, cloudy, incandescent, etc., etc. I would suggest trying the incandescent setting. This should eliminate the yellow wash of your HPS give everything that nice bright 'green' look. If your camera doesn't have that exact setting don't worry. Just watch your LCD screen as you toggle through the settings.

There are other settings on your camera that will further the quality of photos under HPS. I know how to play with them, but would refrain trying to explain it to someone else and yeild to someone with the ability to explain clearly and correctly;) I am sure it won't take long... But, for now, play with the balance a little and see what you think!:D

Post #171 were all shot directly under my HPS...
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?p=594296#post594296

nvthis said:
Hey Hammy, I got a question for you... How on earth do you get a pic in the middle of your text??? You have the photo box, but then you have the one pic on top of the photo box. How'dya do that?????:D

You just upload your pics then if you want to put one or all of them in certain places you find the attachment number by hovering over the pic you want then use the attachment number inside of this That places that pic in that spot...

Latest posts

Back