MH vs HPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moxie

Reaction score
I know people are experimenting with leds and are getting decent results with quality , but what I would like to know is are their anyone who has had experience with eye blue metal halide for flowering ? and not just going by what everyone else is saying that mh blue spectrum is for vegging and hps red spectrum is for flowering .

Way back when I first started growing I used a MH for veg and it did okay. I never considered using it for Flower though since the warmer colors of an HPS are more suited for that. I think some might add some blue to their HPS but don't know anyone who flowers with just MH.

I know people are experimenting with leds and are getting decent results with quality , but what I would like to know is are their anyone who has had experience with eye blue metal halide for flowering ? and not just going by what everyone else is saying that mh blue spectrum is for vegging and hps red spectrum is for flowering .

Actually, we are "not just going by what everyone else is saying". We are going by what science tells us what the plant needs. There are many things we can manipulate, but we really cannot change the basic biology of the plant. And biology tells us that plants grow best during vegetative growth with blue light and better during flowering and fruiting phases with more red light.

As a side note, LEDS have red and blue spectrum lights also.

Done it , did it, I prefer HPS for flower though. mH Works great for veg but I have changed over to t-5's for veg.

"The Rev" the author of the book True Living Organics prefers mh for flower.

I can almost copy the Duck's answer exactly. I veg with T5's, gave up the MH a long time ago and never looked back. vegging with LED is good too...even less stretch.

I can almost copy the Duck's answer exactly. I veg with T5's, gave up the MH a long time ago and never looked back. vegging with LED is good too...even less stretch.

:yeahthat:

Once you go HO T5 for Veg you don't go back. I also agree Good LED's can Veg well also. The only thing that makes HO T5's my choice right now is the price comparison between them and LED. Good LED lights are not cheap. Not Yet....:D

You folks have deeper pockets than I do. I use T8s, ten bucks for a double bulb fixture at the local Menards, and the cheapest bulbs to fit, seven bucks for a pair. I usually keep two fixtures going 24/7 for vegging.
Trust me, they work great, and at less than an eighth the price of the T5s.

I personally do not have deeper pockets, but I am going to try and scrimp on other things to buy the best equipment I can--I have found over the last couple of decades that it pays off. I tried T8s way back when because I had them. When I went to T5s, I saw a big difference. They also have more lumens per watt. I really want at least 3000 lumens per sq ft over my babies when they are growing. About the only way I can get that many lumens into a smaller space is to go with MH or T5s. I choose T5s because they spread the light better than the MH, but still put out the same amount of lumens per watt.

wonderful replies thank you ,

I use t8 for veg , haven't gone to t5s yet and theres even plasma before I spend on LEDS but I ask about the metal halides because I use hortilux super 600s for flower and by incident I had to use that old 400w metal halide that I bought before I actually new anything lol , one lamp burn out early in flower so I ran with it for grins and it turns out that the plants under the MH were stickier than the others and ive been running this strain for years , so I don't know if it was a fluke, I didn't change anything with feed but I am going to roll with it and see what happens .

I'm a SCROG grower, so I really don't veg 'em all that long. As far as lumins per watt, I just can't justify the cost difference. Of course, you're talking to a guy that spent a grand total of four bucks on nutes for my last hydro grow.

Like I tell the guys at the local grow shop, it's just a weed. Done right, it doesn't cost much to grow it.

MH vs HPS is a on going debate normally MH is used for Veg and HPS for flower
I used to run both MH and HPS for Veg and Flower it worked really good
Some ppl swear they get better results flowering with MH only thing i would think is more leafs on buds etc
And from running both i found that if you run only MH in flower you will have more leafy bud sites then HPS MH runs about 8 - 10 degrees hotter then HPS from my room readings
So IMO running both in flower might have its advantages giving more of full spectrum which it seems more n more light companies / led companies are doing
I use T5 ho's for cloning and transplanting from clone ,, with some plant training , couple weeks if i am ahead of the game i place clones right into main veg room under HPS ...
Growing with T5's growth rates are slower as your obviously not running the wattage
but from T5's couple weeks in i place under HPS more or less Veg HPS once i got my cycle going have plants under T5's even up to 4th week while waiting for others to move on into next stage and so on

View attachment DSCF1187.jpg

View attachment DSCF2494.jpg

View attachment picture446e.jpg

I use T5s For Veggtng but i use a 1000 w Hps To Flower.:bong2:

Latest posts

Back