SCROG - When to start? -- First time Grower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HazePhase

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I will start off telling you about my situation.

Started: Solo Cups
week 3: 2 gallons pots
week 6: 15 gallon smart pots final home

I have SCROGCO screens 2x2 - going to be having 4 plants in their 15 gallon smart pot and their own individual screen.

Currently at week 4.
I was thinking I would be okay to grow for another 2-3 weeks roughly in veg in the 2 gallons and then move them into the 15 gallons and put the SCROGs on and start training them through.

My Question:
- is that going to be too late to start doing that at this point - I was told it should be fine and I have attached a picture of my best plant so far.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you!

View attachment UnderGrowth.jpg

Don't use 1 15 gal pot for 1 plant . 2x2screen is just big enough for 1 plant in a 5 to 7 gal pot.Just veg it longer to fill the screen. I scrog 4 plant in a 5x5 area.in 7 gal pots. I can average 4 to 5 Pounds every run with 4 plants. I use 1 screen

The 2 things to remember with doing scrog: You want your plants to veg until they are sexually mature before setting screens, in case you have to do any changes. You also want to allow them to veg until you get the size you want them to be.

I generally will veg my plants (grown from seed, different for clones) for 5-6wks to allow sexual maturity. Then I set them in my flowering space and allow them to grow to the screens. Sometimes they end up taller than where my screens actually set. I like to set my screens about 17" above the soil level. This gives me enough room to get under the screens to do maintenance and plant care. As the branches come to the screen, I bend them out so that they spread across to fill the screen some. For those branches that are taller already, I just bend them over as I set the screens. I try to let them get about 75% screen filled then flip the cycle to 12/12. This allows them room to continue to stretch and grow during the 2 week switch to flowering.

Have a look at my bottom grow journal in my signature to see how I do it. There's lots of ways to do this, you have to find what works best for you. It takes some practice, and it will change with different strains of plants but after a few times of doing scrog you will get the hang of it. :)

To do scrog you will definitely have to do some topping on your plants in order to get them to bush out some so that you have multiple branches to spread out. Plus topping will give you more time to allow the plant to bush out, and mature sexually.

I am a big believer in getting the screen up as soon as you have decent veggy growth. If you wait too long, you risk the stems becoming to fiberous and not bending to your will. You are going to need to top or fim your plant so you have more tops going. A scrog is more than simply a grow with a screen over the top. The basic idea is to have the plant grow horizontal under the screen until the screen is about full and the plant is ready to flower. Then only bud growth was allowed above the screen. Like hush mentioned, you will need to clean up the underside of your plants so you have good air flow. This is a scrog I did a few moons ago. http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30420

To do scrog you will definitely have to do some topping on your plants in order to get them to bush out some so that you have multiple branches to spread out. Plus topping will give you more time to allow the plant to bush out, and mature sexually.

Thanks I will check out your journal shortly.
I appreciate the advice and it gives me hope that I am on the right track.
I topped my plants yesterday morning 3 of 6 and then the other 3 yesterday around 5pm.

Here are the pictures from this morning.
:)

View attachment IMG_0364.jpg

View attachment IMG_0365.jpg

View attachment IMG_0367.jpg

View attachment IMG_0366.jpg

View attachment IMG_0368.jpg

Latest posts

Back