Choco Loso

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sunakard2000 said:
as i said before good to see yah pokin yer head back in around here P Jammers, always nice to see what you got going on under those LEDs
Thanks

trillions of atoms said:
How much are those apollos now? Could I get one for 400 bux? Im a cheap ba$tard lololololol

You could get 2 of the Apollo 4's for that, or 1 Apollo 8 or be short on an Apollo 20.

You're looking at "around" a buck a watt for that series. Bout a 1/3 the cost of the California Light works fixtures with way more performance from what I am seeing.

What's happening PJ, good to "see" you man.

What is the coverage area for the Apollo 10's that you are running for flower? I take it is around a 4x4 area?

I understand the cost savings on electricity is a big factor, but say if a Apollo 10 @ 365watts covering a 4x4 area gets 3 gpw, that is 1095 grams from the 4x4 area.

A 1000 watt hps will give me close to the same results consistently in the same area, 4x4.
Is this fair to say?

If that is so, then LED's have come along way, and I am paying attention.
The savings for me on electrical, both light power and the power it takes to cool them, are something worth looking into.

I've been growing a long time, and having 2+ lb's in a 4x4 area is pretty jammed packed, I just can't see getting significantly more quality herb from that space, if you catch my drift.
I don't think you are claiming more herb from the space, just equal amount from less watts, but still the same space.

Again, if they are producing at that level, that's awesome.

That makes sense. But what if kilowatt costs were not a factor? Would LED's produce better herb per say? In WA we pay .08 kilowatt, flat rate. Zoned "AG" its .04 kilowatt. So my savings would be replacing the bulbs 3 times per year(HPS), Metal halide, twice(every 6 months).

Total costs for bulbs,

HPS- $400
MH- $140

Cooling bulbs happens less than 10% of the Year(AC).

NorCalHal said:
What's happening PJ, good to "see" you man.

What is the coverage area for the Apollo 10's that you are running for flower? I take it is around a 4x4 area?

I understand the cost savings on electricity is a big factor, but say if a Apollo 10 @ 365watts covering a 4x4 area gets 3 gpw, that is 1095 grams from the 4x4 area.

A 1000 watt hps will give me close to the same results consistently in the same area, 4x4.
Is this fair to say?

If that is so, then LED's have come along way, and I am paying attention.
The savings for me on electrical, both light power and the power it takes to cool them, are something worth looking into.
I actually use one Apollo 10 over a 4x2 area, so about half the area or less than half the area mentioned.

Make it over to the other site, and I will link you to the lab where you can "see" it all first hand. I have full room shots you can take a look at to see what I am doing and how it is all set up. Just not something I share on open public sites.

I mentioned somewhere that I had recently done some math and on an average I am at around 1.6 GPW. Some strains will do up to 3, while others are under 1 first time through which is just a learning curve of that said plant. I've only met a few that won't perform well, but they are going to be the same under HPS as well, so we just kick those to the curb. Also keep in mind I am typically testing new strains, and not a commercial guy by any means. I simply test, report my findings and have it tested.

I'd never recommend to someone like yourself to spend the cash and "change everything" over to LED. You have already made that investment and it makes no sense to spend a ton of money to "convert" over to LED. You would have savings in terms of your electric bill, but how long it would take to realize your savings would be the question.

That said, for someone with no lights setting up whether it be a tent or a commercial setup, LED's [Good ones] are more than adequate and you realize the savings immediately.

I'll be honest. I don't see too many people having the success I am. There are a few guys over at TSD that are starting to show some real nice results, but not many of them have any real "growing" experience and are still figuring what the plants really need when issues pop up.

I do run one public thread for anyone who wants to take a look at some of the things I have been doing at another spot. Just keep in mind that these are almost all first time through plants and are vegged 21 days from seed pop to keep things consistent in my regimen.

hxxxp forum.seeddepot.nl/showthread.php?1941-All-Bodhi-All-the-Time-LED-Harvest-shots

Here is a shot from last month on a tester first time through called Super Snow Lotus from Bodhi. These things really surprised me and took off like crazy once they hit flowering. Can't stay away from that jar either...
:icon_smile:

supersnow.jpg
She was 6'4 done and went just a little under 4.

This what I like to see normally

dh.png

So yeah, be good to "See" you over at the other spot as well brother NCH. We'll do lunch.
;)

From the pictures I've seen by WELL grown LED growers, like PJ, the herb looks top notch for sure.

Your spoiled with your power bills. I get super taxed, and they (Power Compant) knows what I am doing and gives me a nice "demand charge" on each bill...furthering my pain. 20 lights runs me about 4000 - 4500 a cycle. All the bells and whistles running, complete environmental control. 5 ton AC a BIG amp eater.
But, being in a sealed room, I see no other way around having to run a 5 ton, no matter how cool it gets outside, as I never exhaust air.

So, for me, if I can get these panels to at least hit 2 gpw over a 4x4 area, it will be worth trying 1 out.

Haha. Or move to B-Ham and reap the benefits of WA weather and power costs.

nouvellechef said:
That makes sense. But what if kilowatt costs were not a factor? Would LED's produce better herb per say? In WA we pay .08 kilowatt, flat rate. Zoned "AG" its .04 kilowatt. So my savings would be replacing the bulbs 3 times per year(HPS), Metal halide, twice(every 6 months).

Total costs for bulbs,

HPS- $400
MH- $140

Cooling bulbs happens less than 10% of the Year(AC).

Define better herb?
:D

I've got a strain or 5 in the high 20% THC content fully tested in a lab in N Cali. Got a couple real high in CBD's. Had nothing to do with the lights as far as I can tell however. Some would argue that LED smoke tastes better, while I have first hand watched people use them and grow what tasted like wood chips.

I say next time you make it to the DC area hit me up and test for yourself. Got a buddy who backs up my keepers and runs HPS so you can get samples of several strains and test for yourself.
:D

He's also over at that other spot you were approved to enter, and you can ask him straight up on the site who's doing what. I'll try and make sure he don't whine too much.
;)

We also have a food area and I need some new ideas.
:hubba:

Rather than take this thread any further before it turns in to some huge debate over what is better, I am simply stating I can do every bit as good as any HPS bulb and in most cases do way better.

If you live in Antarctica they may not be for you. If you live in AZ and are not using them you'd be a fool with today's tech. That's not something I even want to go in to but I can assure you the rest of us who suffer high electric bills it's a no brainer...

Is it worth it to switch? For me it was but for most probably not. To anyone with experience growing that was just setting up a new system again, no brainer.

nouvellechef said:
Haha. Or move to B-Ham and reap the benefits of WA weather and power costs.
And then you can watch it rain as much as you see perfect weather NorCal.

I'd jump on that. I hear the fish is tossed.
:p

Latest posts

Back