Do you have to replace ballasts and fixtures?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flight175

Reaction score
Okay I know you have to replace to bulb of HPS lights every 2-3 years but what about the ballasts and fixtures? is there ever a point at where they go bad and you have to replace them or do they last forever?

flight175 said:
Okay I know you have to replace to bulb of HPS lights every 2-3 years but what about the ballasts and fixtures? is there ever a point at where they go bad and you have to replace them or do they last forever?

No, you don't *have* to replace them. If you buy a light meter, you can easily tell if your lights are putting out enough lumens to promote proper growth.

If you buy a ammeter that slips around a power cord and gives you a reading of your amp draw, by using a little math, you can calculate if it's worth it to you to continue to use that particular light with it's power to light ratio.

It's that easy. A light meter and a meter to measure amp draw.

The rest is simple math. When the light gets to a point where it costs more than it's worth to you, you replace it. It might be ten years, it might be one. It depends largely on the exact brand of light you've bought.

When you buy a light, measure it's lumen output and it's amp draw. Then, as it ages, continue to measure it. At some point in time, it will draw more current than it's worth in the amount of lumens it produces.

Or, if you're rich, you can just chunk it into the dump every year and buy another light and ballast. Hehe, not me...

AC Ammeter.JPG

Latest posts

Back