"Marijuana Is Becoming More Potent"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluealein56

Misderected Hostilty
Reaction score
ok so..... doin school work and having to research topics and, yes marijuana was one of the topic options. SO naturally i picked it, seems to keep me focused on class. But yeah thought id let ya see this article i found on tha net.
hahaha, let me know what all you little stoners think. i chuckled and it made me slightly think of reefer madness the movie:joint4:

Marijuana Is Becoming More Potent

Table of Contents: Further Readings

National Drug Intelligence Center, “National Drug Threat Assessment 2005,” February 2005.

"Samples of marijuana testing at 9 percent or higher THC ... increased more than 600 percent from 1994 ... to 2002."
In the viewpoint that follows, the National Drug Intelligence Center (NDIC) contends that the average potency of marijuana has soared in recent years and that high-potency marijuana has become more available. Higher-potency marijuana can produce intense reactions, the organization asserts. In fact, the increased availability of higher-potency cannabis, the NDIC suggests, may be partly responsible for the rising number of emergency room visits where marijuana is involved and drug treatment admissions that have occurred since 1994. The NDIC, the nation's center for strategic domestic counterdrug intelligence, also produces drug threat assessments. This report combines information from enforcement and intelligence agencies with comments from the NDIC.
As you read, consider the following questions:

In NIDA's contention, what happens in the first hour after a person smokes marijuana?
Why don't all cannabis growers produce high-potent product, in the NDIC's view?
According to the author, what percentage of state and local law enforcement agencies reported that the availability of marijuana was high or moderate in 2004?
The escalating prevalence of higher potency marijuana such as sinsemilla has resulted in an increase in average marijuana potency; however, high potency marijuana constitutes a relatively small portion of the marijuana available throughout the United States. Commercial-grade marijuana is the most widely available type throughout the country.

Demand is higher for marijuana than for any other illicit drug; however, marijuana use among eighth, tenth, and twelfth graders as well as college students has declined since peaking in the late 1990s.

The consequences of marijuana use evidenced in ED [emergency department] mentions and treatment admissions have increased steadily over the last decade; however, three significant underlying factors should be considered when analyzing such increases. First, marijuana often is used with alcohol or other illicit drugs, which obscures the relevance of marijuana as a cause of many ED mentions. Second, a rise in treatment referrals through the criminal justice system has contributed largely to the increase in marijuana-related treatment admissions. Third, increased prevalence of higher potency marijuana has likely resulted in a greater number of individuals experiencing more intense and often unpleasant effects of the drug, leading them to seek medical intervention....

Adverse Effects
Marijuana is not harmless. Marijuana's effects can include those problems attendant to cigarette smoking as well as problems with distorted perception and loss of coordination, which can contribute to household, occupational, or vehicular accidents. For example, in 2001 an estimated 38,000 U.S. high school seniors reported that they had crashed a vehicle while driving under the influence of marijuana. Other effects include problems with memory and learning, difficulty in thinking and problem solving, and increased heart rate. According to one study, fewer heavy users of marijuana completed college and more had household incomes of less than $30,000 as compared with a control group, despite similar educational and economic backgrounds. (In this study, heavy users smoked marijuana a mean of 18,000 times and no less than 5,000 times, while control group subjects smoked at least once but no more than 50 times in their life.) NIDA [National Institute on Drug Abuse] reports that another study has indicated that a user's heart attack risk quadruples in the first hour after smoking marijuana....

Highly Potent Marijuana
The escalating prevalence of higher potency marijuana such as sinsemilla appears to have resulted in an increase in average potency levels. Samples of marijuana testing at 9 percent or higher THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) [the active chemical in marijuana] increased more than 600 percent from 1994 (104 of 3,281 samples) to 2002 (545 of 2,378 samples), according to data from the Potency Monitoring Project. Yet the increase in the average potency of tested marijuana and sinsemilla during that period was less dramatic. Average THC levels for both types rose approximately 50 percent, from 3.50 to 5.11 percent THC for marijuana and from 7.49 to 11.43 percent THC for sinsemilla.

NDIC Comment: Marijuana potency has increased; however, it is unlikely that average potency levels will reach 20 or 30 percent THC in the near term. Even with the advances in indoor cultivation techniques or marijuana production methods used throughout the United States and Canada where much of the higher potency marijuana is produced, THC levels remain, typically, under 15 percent. Growers can and do produce marijuana with potency levels over 20 percent; however, not all growers have the capability or the determination either to produce top-quality marijuana or to achieve the highest potential yield from their crops. The trend toward larger grows controlled by organized crime groups in Canada and, to a lesser extent, in the United States should help stabilize or further slow the rise in average potency levels. The interests of DTOs [drug trafficking organizations] and criminal groups are in marijuana's profitability, and they are unlikely to invest the care required to mass-produce top-quality marijuana, particularly in the drying, manicuring, and curing stages of production. Thus, average THC levels likely will continue to increase only gradually or remain relatively stable.

Marijuana-Related Emergencies and Treatment Admissions
The consequences of marijuana use evidenced in ED mentions and treatment admissions have increased steadily over the last decade. Marijuana-related ED mentions increased nearly 200 percent from 1994 to 2002. Marijuana-related treatment admissions increased 100 percent during the same period.

NDIC Comment: The dramatic increases in marijuana-related ED mentions and treatment admissions often are viewed with concern, and while these increases may be attributable in part to the higher potency marijuana available today, this hypothesis has yet to be confirmed. Polydrug use and integrating treatment services in the disposition of minor cases of marijuana possession are two significant underlying factors to consider when assessing the consequences of marijuana use. Marijuana very often is used sequentially or concurrently with alcohol or other illicit drugs. In fact, only 28 percent of marijuana-related ED episodes in 2002 involved marijuana alone, so the presence of alcohol or other illicit drugs undoubtedly obscures the relevance of marijuana as a cause of many ED visits. Also, a rise in treatment referrals through the criminal justice system (such as through drug courts begun in the early 1990s) has contributed largely to the increase in marijuana-related treatment admissions. According to SAMHSA [Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration], treatment admissions referred by the criminal justice system were more likely to report marijuana as a primary substance of abuse than admissions referred by all other sources (24% vs. 10%). This is not to suggest that marijuana use is not harmful or that providing treatment as an alternative to arrest is a flawed policy, but these underlying factors do have bearing on analysis of marijuana's consequences....

Availability of High-Potency Marijuana
All DEA [Drug Enforcement Administration] Field Divisions and HIDTA [High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas] offices report that marijuana is readily, widely, or the most available illicit drug in their areas. Reports of increased availability largely concerned higher potency or Canadian Bud (also referred to as BC [British Columbia] Bud) marijuana reported by Field Divisions and HIDTA offices whose jurisdictions include the northern half of the country. Such reporting likely implicates Canadian marijuana, although higher potency marijuana is produced domestically, particularly in the Pacific Region, and the term Canadian Bud has been used to identify any marijuana consisting of buds and is not necessarily an accurate indicator of the country of origin. Areas where increased marijuana availability was identified include Detroit, North Dakota, South Dakota, Oregon, Washington, New Hampshire, Vermont, Colorado, Utah, Montana, and Wyoming. There were no reports of a trend toward decreased availability, although DEA Newark [New Jersey] attributed a recent shortage in marijuana supplies to law enforcement actions in late 2003.

NDTS [National Drug Threat Survey] 2004 data show that 97.8 percent of state and local law enforcement agencies describe the availability of marijuana as high or moderate, little deviating from the percentages reported for 2003 (98.2%) and 2002 (96.9%). The percentage of agencies reporting high or moderate availability in 2004 ranged narrowly from a low of 97.1 percent in the Southeast to a high of 99.5 percent in the West. Although law enforcement agencies throughout the country identify marijuana as the most prevalent illicit drug in their areas, few consider it a significant threat to public health and safety, hence its relatively low ranking as the greatest drug threat.

Another indication that marijuana's availability is not declining is that federal seizures of marijuana have increased slightly overall since 2001.... However, while marijuana seizures have increased, the amounts seized over the 4-year period [2000-2003] have not varied significantly, nor has the location of most federal seizures. FDSS [Federal-Wide Drug Seizure System] data show that from 2000 to 2003, seizures in the four border states of Texas, Arizona, California, and New Mexico accounted for an average of 92 percent of all marijuana seized through incidents in which federal agencies participated. In 2004 seizures in Texas and Arizona alone accounted for 76 percent of total federal marijuana seizures.

The Demand for Higher-Potency Marijuana
Contrary to reports of increased availability and amounts seized, marijuana-related arrests have been declining, probably reflecting law enforcement's focus on more socially disruptive drugs, such as methamphetamine or crack, as well as the challenges posed by state and local laws inconsistent with federal laws governing marijuana. For example, the number of DEA arrests that involved marijuana declined overall from 7,096 in 2000 to 4,655 in 2003. At least 80 percent of DEA marijuana-related arrests in each year from 2000 through 2003 involved marijuana of foreign origin.

Potency levels reflect less the actual supply of marijuana available than they do the quality available. Thus the documented rise in marijuana potency (see Table 1) is more a factor of the availability of and demand for better quality marijuana. For example, according to data from the Potency Monitoring Project at the University of Mississippi, 23 percent of submitted samples tested at 9.0 percent THC or higher in 2002, compared with just 3 percent in 1994 (when some 900 more samples were tested than in 2002). The data also illustrate that despite advances in cultivation techniques that make it possible to produce marijuana with THC levels of 20 to 30 percent, yields of this strength are not the rule, and high potency marijuana—whether sinsemilla from Canada or the United States—more typically tests between 10 and 15 percent THC.

Man frosty nugs, i had no idea! I've been smoking for 30 yrs with no side effects whatsoever.......bread, milk, light bulbs, coffe, pick up luandry.

thanks for shareing this with us blueA...hope ya get an A+ on report..as you have here:aok:

"marijuana often is used with alcohol or other illicit drugs, which obscures the relevance of marijuana as a cause of many ED mentions."

I love the way they always skirt around this part.

Ok, Doctor, he/she also had a cheeseburger and fries, a large chocolate milkshake, and some chlorinated water in the stomach and system.

The cocaine, meth, and heroin that were found in the same persons system MIGHT have had something to do with the traffic accident also, but hell, let's just look at the danger that marijuana was. Sure, IT must have caused the accident!

And, and, and....the cheeseburger! Everyone knows you can't mix marijuana and cheeseburgers and then drive! OMG! What was he/she thinking?

Hahahahahahaaha, that was fun.

Government studies conclude whatever they want them to conclude. They are usually as biased as a test can be.

If marijuana contributed 0.00001% to the intoxication of a driver, they will say: "The cause of the accident may be attributed to marijuana that was found in the persons system.", if in fact, they want to conclusions of the testing to show negatively towards marijuana.

California is at the forefront of showing marijuana's true nature when used by a large segment of society. More real studies are being performed right this moment than in any other moment in time.

"Government Testing" hahahaahahahahahahahaaa

When I read statements like this: "The escalating prevalence of higher potency marijuana such as sinsemilla has resulted in an increase in average marijuana potency;" it makes me quit reading. Not only does the sentence not make sense, it makes me think that they don't even know what sinsemilla means.

The Hemp Goddess said:
When I read statements like this: "The escalating prevalence of higher potency marijuana such as sinsemilla has resulted in an increase in average marijuana potency;" it makes me quit reading. Not only does the sentence not make sense, it makes me think that they don't even know what sinsemilla means.

Yeah, and my personal favorite is "Hydroponic Lighting"

Hahahahahahahaaha

The Hemp Goddess said:

Lol..

lol

4u2sm0ke said:
thanks for shareing this with us blueA...hope ya get an A+ on report..as you have here:aok:

thanks i hope i do as well. the cool part is that the report is about finding biasis in opposing arguments so this one works very well.

Hope yall all got a good laugh as i did. and yeah the hydroponic lighting is pretty funny.
:cool:

Latest posts

Back