Cloning Flowering Plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alistair

Reaction score
I did some reading and I see that some people have successfully cloned flowering plants. I took a few cuttings of some plants that are finishing up week 6 of flowering. I left the bud (or buds) on the cuttings and put them directly into dirt, using quart-sized Ziplock bags for humidity domes. Will the humidity in this makeshift humidity domes cause any bud rot? Of course, the plan is to have them root and reveg. Should they be misted like other clones?

I've successfully taken clones from flowering plants, but always only a week or two into flowering. The later you leave it the more difficult it becomes and you can expect higher failure rate.

Why not finish plant off, reveg, then take clones ? I think you'd get better results.

You could do both....I would say to take a bunch of clones as they will be a lot harder to root. If none of the clones take, you could try a reveg. I personally really suck at revegging--don't know why, but most of anything I have tried to reveg.....didn't.

Don't know why you've had no luck revegging HG. Ive only revegged handful of times with decent results, admittedly got a couple of freaks on one or two occasions but they came good after a while. A lot easier to reveg a grown plant with full root system than try to reveg budding clone with no root system whatsoever.

I have reveged once. it worked but took two months.

If you are going to clone flowering plants, take the flower off. Top it.

Okay, thanks. I was expecting it to be easier than that.

Good luck AListar....I too dont like the Long time to clone a plant thats farther then 4 weeks into bloom...I do however like to reveg if needed and have done reveg a few times now...Im shocked to Hear THG has issues there as I know she runs her veg room 24/0 and that is best when reveging...Also bump up the "N"..takeing her back to veg nutes

take care and be safe

Well, 4u2, the four cuttings I took have lasted 24 hours, they're still healthy-looking. I sure hope they work; I just love those phenotypes; Jillybean and The Flav (Subcool); they're sugar-coated.

Get some advanced nutrients root shooters. First time I used them I took my cuttings 2 weeks into 12/12 because my other cloning method failed. Just about everything rooted by 2 weeks. That will be my goal, take cuttings between week 1 and 2 of 12/12 because of height restrictions. This time using root shooters I made a big mistake. I had a spray bottle of one half rubbing alcohol one half water left over from spidermite problems, I poured this on the root shooters by accident to moisterize them and then I flushed with tap water [everything you need to clone is already in the shooters, I washed it out]. Still got at least one half of most cutttings to root. The only one that might not make it is the og kush, but I have larry's og seeds. By the way I sprayed my plants with the alcohol solution five days in a row, and right after spraying you couldn't stand to be in the room for a while, I wiped out my spidermites.

that will be my goal

THG, doesn't revegging require leaving about 1/3 of the buds on the plant? I wonder why you have bad luck with revegging? Doesn't it normally work well for others?

I wish I would have cloned during vegetation; I had no idea how frosty those two phenos would be!

Alistair I too would reveg the pheno you wish to save.

Cloning fully developed buts will work but as you suspect you will have to keep an eye on mould. Do you have any H2o2; you could add some to kill all the nasty's when you mist.

They take a fair while to root, 20 days is the longest I've seen.

Aerocloning will greatly increase success.

Best way to reveg is to take it down to anything you couldn't be bothered processing and let her go. Leave any large fan leaves you can.

The Hemp Goddess said:
You could do both....I would say to take a bunch of clones as they will be a lot harder to root. If none of the clones take, you could try a reveg. I personally really suck at revegging--don't know why, but most of anything I have tried to reveg.....didn't.

I agree with THG why not try both?..

rosebud said:
I have reveged once. it worked but took two months.

If you are going to clone flowering plants, take the flower off. Top it.

Again I Never have done it!,,but I agree with Rosebud take the flower off at least half the clones= make it an expirament we all could take note of. And do it half and half on the clones and the mother like you said keep bottom 1/3rd and leave bud on it as that is where the new growth comes from. On the Clones though?? dont now, but imo taking the buds off and just leaving a couple leaves top would help switch the hormones back to veg and concentrate on making roots. lol I could be way off though! good luck

Alistair said:
THG, doesn't revegging require leaving about 1/3 of the buds on the plant? I wonder why you have bad luck with revegging? Doesn't it normally work well for others?

I wish I would have cloned during vegetation; I had no idea how frosty those two phenos would be!

I agree you need to leave some bud sites as the new growth will sprout out of them, it will look like a spinich leaf.

Okay, Rosebud says to remove the buds. How many think I should remove the buds?

GD, when you said leave bud sites, you were referring to a revegging plant, not a cutting, right?

Ok, after you take your cuttings for the clones take the top tiny flower off.
I have only reveged once, I left about 20 % of the buds on the bottom. I fed N and put under 24 hour light. I just took cuttings of it today for clones and threw the big mess outside.
Look at Faders journal on Gold he did. He had a beautiful reveg that he re- flowered the whole thing and it looked great. Mine looked terrible and I needed the room so the clones better take. They will.
I hope that helps Alistair. ~rb~

Alistair said:
Okay, Rosebud says to remove the buds. How many think I should remove the buds?

GD, when you said leave bud sites, you were referring to a revegging plant, not a cutting, right?

I am sure she was talking about the Clones. Not revegging the plant.

If you really want to save this strain, I would try cloning and revegging.

I would imagine that the clones would do better topped (no bud sites) that way ALL new growth is concentrated on making roots. JMO though!

The Rvegging plant MUST keep some bottom buds sites this is where new growth comes from on a reveg.

There's only one bud on each clone. It won't kill them to remove the buds? I guess not, or else you wouldn't be telling me to do so.

I forgot to ask: How much H2O2 per quart of water? For the time being, I'm undecided as to remove the bud or not; so, I want to use the H2O2.

Thanks for all your suggestions. 48 hours later the cuttings still look healthy. The buds, however, are ripening up. So, that could be an indication to just whack it off anyway. But, if I do that, there will be nothing but leaves. Just snip the whole bud off? As you can tell, I'm a bit apprehensive. I'll get back to my research, and check in later.

lol,, I would be too! I stated earlier that I have never took clones that late into flower it is just Opinion.. That is why in an earlier post I said maybe do half the cuttings with no buds and half keep on or 75%/25% I really don't know for sure!! JMO but you would think the bud would have to be gone for the NEW plant to grow roots, you want roots, not reveg in da clones...Again I would try multiple ways on this one! if I was you.,,,Reveg the flowering plant, take the cuttings cut the buds off a few and keep them on a few. How many cuttings did you take?

And ya your not going to get a good harvest,,,If your prioirty at this point is to keep the strain,,,then just Harvest the top 40% That's All.. Take 30% for cuttings(Get some Good Ones) and then leave 30% for reveg...GOOD LUCK,,, You will still get some good smoke, keep the strain and teach us somthing, all at the same time,,Kinda Cool!

Alistair said:
There's only one bud on each clone. It won't kill them to remove the buds? I guess not, or else you wouldn't be telling me to do so.

I forgot to ask: How much H2O2 per quart of water? For the time being, I'm undecided as to remove the bud or not; so, I want to use the H2O2.

Thanks for all your suggestions. 48 hours later the cuttings still look healthy. The buds, however, are ripening up. So, that could be an indication to just whack it off anyway. But, if I do that, there will be nothing but leaves. Just snip the whole bud off? As you can tell, I'm a bit apprehensive. I'll get back to my research, and check in later.

DON'T remove the buds.."IME/O"... THAT is where the new growth will start.
From 'my' experience revegging 'clones' OR 'plants, Cutting first need to 'root', then they will start new growth. Two blueberry cuttings that I had gifted a few years back, were taken from a plant in the 5th-or 6th week of flower(I was told) They took around 60 days to start showing 'new shoots'.
Previously flowered plants... I've seen as little as 3 weeks, and as many as 6 to see new shoots start sprouting...from the old bud sites....

:yeahthat: Not only is the "buds" where the new growth will come from, it is the only place the cutting has any stored nutes for it to use to grow new roots with.

Latest posts

Back