Reducing radiant heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I am trying to do an auto grow in a small tent and have little headroom and no space for an aircooled light so I am fitting a small open wing type reflector and a 400w hid.
Without a glass cover or direct extraction for the light, the temp in the tent at the canopy went up over 35C in a short time with the light on. The extractor fan is at the top of the tent, with the outside intake at the bottom.
I was wondering if I hung a sheet of plexiglass right below the wing reflector light if that would reduce the temps at the canopy?
The radiant heat might bounce back from the glass and stay in the upper area of the tent and be more easily extracted by the fan perhaps? There would be about a 4 inch clearance around the plexiglass to the sides of the tent, so colder air will still be sucked up from below.
I was looking at some greenhouse type plastic glass called polycarbonate greenhouse glazing as the kind to get.
Does anyone think that this will help reduce the heat, or have you tried this idea? I haven't done it yet and would rather not waste the money if it won't make a difference.
I also wouldn't want to melt the plastic glass and ruin the plants!

One thing you might try is to put a strong oscillating fan so that it blows right across the bottom of the light, between the light and the plants.

I do this with my T-5 lights to reduce heat at the plant tips.

Can you maybe louver the wing to let the heat go up towards the extraction fan?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back