Carbon Filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hint: if you have a passive hood and dont/cant cut into it you can use a coupler sold as a pipe-to-floor vent piece. bend it a bit and tape it up. lotsa turbulence, but it sure gets the air out.

my hood technically belongs to another man so i gotta do what i gotta do ja.

for my scrubber i use a 3 layer replacement filter. carbon and static. it works well but isnt perfect.

i'd rather spend extra money on something quiet...still looking though...

So I am about to move and I have a shed, so naturally I see a gold mine waiting to be plundered.
Awesome DIY, I cannot wait to put this to use.
Any ideas on how often the activated carbon needs to be changed in your setup?
Can you not hear the noisy fan outside you shed?
That is another concern I have.
Either way, thanks for the setup. Good stuff

DirtySouthernAfficionado I am just about finished with the grow room. I have a couple bagseeds sprouting now but I still need to get the bulbs , a new hood to finish.

I think I am going to try an Ebb&Flo that I am biulding based off my friends design.
As far as the noise outside with three $27 6" Inductor brand fans running I cannot hear any fan or see any light leaks under the shed.

I dont know why exactly but I built one of these and my room stinks. I am not sure if its helping a little or not at all. Anyone have this problem?

I don't know for sure just what the "duct collar" is. Is it just a short piece of ducting that slips into the reducer from the 8" side so that the rducer has a 6" end on both sides as well as a 8" outer end on one side?

As to the fan issue, I think maybe you are talking about a heating duct booster fan, correct? If not you might look into them as they are an inline fan and very reasonable priced.

Another thing to consider is to use window screen instead of chicken wire and if you are using granulated actived charcoal, you shouldn't need to use pany hose.

Also, place your exhaust fan as close to the end of the ducting as possible.

Another suggestion is to use a separate enclosed system for your cooled hoods, that is draw fresh air in from outside the grow area and exhaust it outside of the grow area too. That goes a long way to wards controling hte heat issue WITHOUT letting the stink out of the grow area. That means you oder ocntrol system will have to control a lot less of the iar becuase less of it will have stink in it to control.

Don Jones

do i put the carbon in the inner 6" tube or the outer 8" where do i put the pillow poly

Shockeclipse, I have not had any smells inside or outside of my shed , but before I put the filter in my shed and outside of it reaked of plants (still in veg then) now the're in flower 5 weeks I smell no odors at all

DonJones the item he is calling a Duct Collar is also called a "take off" it will fit just inside of the 8" to 6" reducer.

savage954, The charcoal will go inbetween the 6" and the 8" tube.

dumb question to most of you I'm sure, but I've looked at pet co and wal mart and can find no activated carbon specifically for the removal of odor from air, so I'm assuming the aquarium charcoal is what you are all using and that it is fine to use for this application. If I'm way off on this please let me know because I'm at the point where I either have to build this or buy one, and I'd rather build one.

I build two of these and all I have to say is thank you very much for the information. Smell fresh again.

Very nice post and writeup, I'm going to make one. One thing I feel I need to correct though is that the "fencing" used is not called chicken wire, it's called hardware cloth. Chicken wire is way bigger holes and stop sign shaped.;)

SherwoodForest said:
Very nice post and writeup, I'm going to make one. One thing I feel I need to correct though is that the "fencing" used is not called chicken wire, it's called hardware cloth. Chicken wire is way bigger holes and stop sign shaped.;)

there are a few types of chicken wire dude.. lol if you go to peavy mart and ask if the have any 1/4" chicken wire they will hand you that.. lol
LH

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_wire chicken wire  –noun a light, wire netting having a large, hexagonal mesh, used esp. as fencing.

hardware cloth

 
–noun galvanized steel wire screen with a mesh usually between 0.25 and 0.5 in. (1/4" and 1/2"), used for coarse sieves, animal cages, and the like.:aok:

Hahah. Sorry folks. As I said in the write-up, the hardest part of this project for me was figuring out what the names of the parts were so I could even buy them.... :rolleyes:

I bought a roll the other day at the depot and it said hardware cloth on it, boy did I feel good.:D The other stuff said poultry netting, but no matter, I'm just a stickler for details on things that don't matter usually. They didn't have the right ducting pieces though, it's all new and different looking. Hopefully another hardware store will have the right parts. Thanks for the great design and writeup!

Where are people buying their carbon from? I know ebay but what kind is my question because buying from the store is costing me a lot more money then I want to spend. I am almost better off just buying a new Carbon filter.

Latest posts

Back