Lots of questions: Building a Grow BOX

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md.apothecary

Art is Resistance!
Reaction score
Grow box will be: 2ft x 2ft x 3ft high

Required lumens @ 5000/sq. ft = 20,000 lumens

I will be using CFL's for the grow box. It will also be holding 3 fluorex 65w 6500k (6825 lumens each). Those will be swapped later for 3 105w CFLs 2700k ([FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,sans-serif] 6720 lumens each).

The questions I have are fairly simple about box design, however I wanted to get verification from everyone else who has input.

I have a carbon scrubber I am going to place at the top of the box with a 110cfm fan attached. The fan going through the carbon scrubber is a true 60cfm fan. This is still more than enough to evacuate the 12cfm area 5 times over in a minute. However... because this will be a VEG and FLOWER box here are the ventilation questions...

1) how many passive intake holes at the bottom should I place to ensure proper airflow without creating too much of a vacuum effect from not having enough intake air?

2) How big should the passive holes be? I assume the fewer holes the better depending on size.

3) How can I have unrestricted airflow and not allow light into the box from outside?

4) Would I still need a small fan inside to circulate air considering how much will be exhausted per minute in this small area?

Lighting Questions:

5) Can I add two smaller 23w CFLs during the veg. phase without posing any problems? Or should I stay with just the typical 6500k bulbs only?

6) Would a reflector be necessary for this size box? I will be painting the entire area with a flat white paint instead of messing with mylar.

Thanks! I might have more later. :)
[/FONT]

the biggest problem you will have with such a small space is temperature. im running 4-23 watt cfls in a space just like yours and it stays at 83 deggrees with ventilation. 83 is okay but not hte best conditions for growing.

83 degrees isnt bad for veg, but you gonna have to think about something different for flowering.

the ventilation is inadequte for your grow area then. This fan is going to be pulling out 5 times the amount of air required PER MINUTE, cooling shouldn't be a problem...

Latest posts

Back