Inside an Amsterdam Marijuana Coffee Shop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Dutch 101 for beginners: a coffee shop isn't where you get a caffeine fix. Coffee shops in the Netherlands are places where you can buy and smoke marijuana legally.

I would never advocate the usage of drugs under normal circumstances, but I visited one of these "coffee shops" and sampled their wares on a recent trip to Amsterdam. Of course, it was all strictly for research purposes.

I was accompanied on my investigation by a fellow travel writer. My colleague and I asked several locals for their coffee shop recommendations and they all suggested a place called Dampkring. We tried to find it, but after a few minutes of searching, we grew impatient and randomly walked into a coffee shop/internet cafe named "Freeworld." I didn't see anyone using laptops at Freeworld, but I did see people who looked half asleep sitting in booths and benches all around the shop.

There's no alcohol allowed in coffee shops and tobacco smokers have to sit in separate enclosed areas. Freeworld's menu consists of smoothies, milkshakes, and of course drugs. They sell both herb, hashish, and vanilla or chocolate "space muffins" that contain cannabis. Muffins cost six euros, but the smokeables all start at twelve euros. Freeworld has a five gram maximum on pot purchases to prevent freakouts and drug smuggling.

Dutch coffee shops have goodies from all around the world. At Freeworld, I saw international designer strains of marijuana like "New York Diesel" alongside cheap Jamaican pot. There was also pricy Nepalese hashish and a budget variety from Afghanistan. For your joint rolling pleasure, coffee shops provide herb grinders, free rolling papers, and filters. At Freeworld they also sell joints that are pre-rolled with "White Widow" for customers who can't master making their own.

My colleague and I ordered the White Widow, since it seemed like the shop's de facto house blend. We got 1.6 grams of the stuff for our twelve Euros and I proceeded to roll up half of the bag. As we settled in and smoked, I took my first good look around the coffee shop. Behind the bar, the manager was watching ultimate fighting on a television perched next to a fridge containing the muffins and drugs. Psychedelic decorations like stuffed aliens and blacklight sensitive paint covered the walls. In front of our seats there was a computer that was playing videos of crazy patterns synched with electronic music.

About three quarters of the way through the joint, an intense tingly sensation crept over my body. As time progressed, I found it difficult to concentrate and was laughing uncontrollably. It was awesome. I was enjoying myself, but my associate soon complained of a bad case of "the jitters." I figured his condition was probably just a bad reaction to the techno, but since the manager was beginning to close up for the night anyway, we decided to head out and get some fresh air.

We still had a sizable amount of leftover weed when we left the coffee shop. Our plane out was the next morning and I wasn't sure about the Dutch law on smoking in the street so I didn't feel safe lighting up outside. On the other hand, I couldn't bear to throw out our spare plant. I decided to eat the gram or so we had left in the bag and spend a few more hours wandering through the streets and canals. It was wonderful. Next time I'm in Amsterdam, I'm going to try the space muffins.

hxxp://tinyurl.com/3qjcm3

FruityBud said:
"Of course, it was all strictly for research purposes."

Why don't they just say so i could smoke legally or in peace without recourse from the law? i hate when people sound like there just testing or researching it. you know they want to and you know its not research.

Ok, there's lots of pot to be smoked or eaten, but how about the coffee, is it good too? I lived in Europe for awhile, and the coffee was great! I once had a coffee that was in a cup about the size of a sewing thimble and it was the strongest caffeine-laden coffee I've ever had in my life.

FruityBud said:
I decided to eat the gram or so we had left in the bag and spend a few more hours wandering through the streets and canals.

what a waste. he shouldve just rolled it up:doh:

let me clear that up.. you fruit bud did went there?

or aint ur name hunter?

Latest posts

Back