Stealth Grow w/ CFLs and Soil 1st Time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbc

Reaction score
Hello. I've been lurking around this site for a little bit now reading and gaining as much info as I possibly could. I have finally decided to take the step and start growing myself. This will be my first time growing any sort of plant if u exclude the sunflower I had to grow in elementary school about 18 years ago. Needless to say, I am completely new to this and am hoping that by keeping my grow journal here, I can gain some assistance along the path of earning my "green" thumb. As the title states, this will be a stealth grow. Not in the very early stages as it is going to be built this coming weekend out of an old dresser I have. Anyhow, a few days ago I decided I was going to get started and needed some seeds. Some people buy their seeds from seed banks. Others choose the route of bagseeds. I ended up going the "floor seed" route. That is to say, when me and my buddies are breaking up our green, we tend to just toss the seeds on the floor in his room. He was in the process of cleaning his room so I just started picking seeds up. He helped a bit and we came up with a total of 211 seeds. Yes....it had been a while since he vaccumed, lol. I went ahead and got a clean washcloth out of the dryer at home. I soaked it in warm water and squeezed till the excess was gone. I placed about 20 of the seeds in this washcloth and let it sit. I woke up this morning and checked, and sure enough, I've got one good root, and another one which should be out by tomorrow. After seeing this, I decided it was time to start preparing. I went out and purchased the following items from Menards.
16qt Potting Mix - $3.96
6 Outlet Workshop Strip - $5.95
23W Spiral Daylight CFL - $4.48
23W Spiral Daylight CFL - $4.48
1 to 2 Socket Adapter - $1.88
Outlet to Socket Adapter - $1.35
32oz Spray Bottle - $0.77
12" Plastic Pot Green - $3.49
Grand Total - $35.75 after tax

I am hoping this is enough to get me started. I plan on rigging something up in a bit for water drainage, and will make a hood of some type to go above the lights. Keep in mind, this is just for the start of the initial growing process. I haven't even begun purchasing the items I will need once the plants get moved into the grow box. I still haven't decided if I should just go ahead and use a 24hr light cycle in the beginning. I have heard different things, and imput would be nice. I'm leaning towards 24/0 to start out with. As for the soil, will it be ok to just put it straight in the pot? Do i really need to premix this stuff? I have no experience in this, and really have no means to go get a mixer today. Hopefully I will not have to. I am not going to be transplanting these plants. They are starting out in their first and final pot. Anyhow, in approximately 1 week, I will be able to start adding pictures. Friend has my camera while on vacation. Also, do i need the lights on before the plant breaks the soil, or do i wait until it breaks the soil before starting the lights? Thanks for any help and I will answer any questions you all may have of me. I would like to do this properly my first time and all support will be appreciated.

xbc said:
I still haven't decided if I should just go ahead and use a 24hr light cycle in the beginning. I have heard different things, and imput would be nice. I'm leaning towards 24/0 to start out with. As for the soil, will it be ok to just put it straight in the pot? Do i really need to premix this stuff? Also, do i need the lights on before the plant breaks the soil, or do i wait until it breaks the soil before starting the lights?

I know it can be tempting to grow bag seed but really it is not a good idea. You've no idea what it is. High chance of hermies. Good quality genetics can be had for little money - I've grown Nirvana strains and they are good value. There's plenty to choose from. Genetics rule.

16/8 is fine. I have tried 24/0 and seen no difference in the growth rate. Just a higher electricity bill.

You should have the lights on as per normal. Some light will filter through the top layer of soil and help the seed orient itself properly.

Finally, welcome to MP! ;)

There seems to be at least 2 trains of thought on growing bagseed...some say it makes a great "practice" run and others say just grow seeds from a quality seedbank... I think that with all the hard work and energy you are going to put into a grow you shld just get some good beans and do it right...bagseed tends to go the hermie route and even if it does not then you really don't know what genetics you are growing...beans are so cheap on Nirvana that I think you shld spend the 25 or 30 bucks and pick out a strain you find interesting and grow that out...I only use bagseed to practice things like germination and then I kill them or put them outside in the woods...

leafminer said:
I know it can be tempting to grow bag seed but really it is not a good idea. You've no idea what it is. High chance of hermies. Good quality genetics can be had for little money - I've grown Nirvana strains and they are good value. There's plenty to choose from. Genetics rule.

16/8 is fine. I have tried 24/0 and seen no difference in the growth rate. Just a higher electricity bill.

You should have the lights on as per normal. Some light will filter through the top layer of soil and help the seed orient itself properly.

Finally, welcome to MP! ;)

IME with 'side by side' comparison, 24/0 produced tighter internodal growth (less stretch) than 18/6.
Seeds sprout and grow veg' growth "up" and roots "down" due to "geotropism" or "gravitropism", not due to light filtering through the soil.
They will grow in the proper direction in total darkness.
hXXp://www.essortment.com/all/geotropism_rdux.htm
hXXp://science.jrank.org/pages/3032/Geotropism.html

Latest posts

Back