too much nutes i think...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PC; I believe you would argue with a stop sign brother :doh:

You didn't correct any mis-information. You just said that my statement was wrong. If I am wrong then give the right statement so that I can know as well :) I'm not above learning, and I'm certainly not above being wrong,,,, at least once a year :hubba:

You didn't correct any mis-information. You just said that my statement was wrong. If I am wrong then give the right statement so that I can know as well :) I'm not above learning, and I'm certainly not above being wrong,,,, at least once a year :hubba:

I already have given the statement. You said the nutes/ferts impact the taste and I disagreed. Because if they did my buds would taste like fish guts and bat guano and they dont. That is correcting misinformation.

No my friend, that is a red herring, a simple argument as opposed to a concise disagreement. That is like saying "I know there is no god because if there was I would have a better life right now". If my statement is wrong, please tell us what is the correct statement on the question of what gives plants their flavor.

HP, you said that the nutes impacted the taste not me. Why don't you tell us how this is done? As my bud does not taste like what it is grown in(fish guts and bat guano and other amendments) and that's a fact. Not a "red herring".

I already explained my statement:
There are 3 things that affect flavor. Nutes, dry & cure, and plant genetics. IF you aren't drying your buds properly before beginning curing, that will have a significant effect on the flavor.

The kind and type of nutes you use will make a difference. Kind being the brand and type being synthetic or organic. It sounds like you have tried to mix both. It has been my experience that regimens that try to use both seldom work as well as wanted. The reason is that the 2 generally oppose each other on the molecular level. Organics rely on the use of microbe activity within the medium, while synthetics often make the soil unfriendly to the microbes.
I don't know if the nutes you are using is "organic" or synthetic. If you like a good "clean" flavor, then you should go fully synthetic, but if you like more of an "organic" flavor, then go with all organic nutrients. Your soil can be organic or soilless medium and still use organics in either one, but If you like organics then beginning with an organic soil that is good quality, some added amendments, then some good organic nutrient tea for boosting.

Let me simplify it for you my friend: I never said that the nutes give the flavors and smell to the plants. I said these things affect the flavor and smells. I have grown MJ using several different nute brands, and I have grown using organics, and I have and do currently grow using a specific regimen of both synthetic and organic nutrients. With each change in nutes, I have noticed a subtle difference in flavors, with my biggest difference in flavors coming in when I used organic nutrients.

I always use the same method of drying and curing, so that takes dry and cure out of the equation. I have also grown the same strains (from clone) using both synthetic and organic nutrients, and I (along with my patients) have experienced a significant difference in flavors.

The reason your plants don't smell like fish is because the chelation process breaks down the molecular compounds that give the raw ferts their unique smells and flavors. Those basic elements are then used to build new molecular compounds in the plants that give the plants their unique smells and flavors.

I used to live in a house where there was a cherry tree that grew right beside the house. When I moved in, the owner said the tree hadn't produced cherries in several years. That summer, the tree produced so many fat, sweet, beautiful cherries that we couldn't get all of them. They were amazingly good, and the home owner was amazed as the tree hadn't produced cherries in several years. What we found out was the tree was growing directly beside and in contact with the septic tank, and was feeding off of the human waste.
The following year we moved to a new home and the tree never produced another cherry again.

The tree was able to pull nutrients from the surrounding soil but not until we supplied it with the extra, and right nutrients every time we flushed the toilet, did it produce the big sweet cherries. :)

Yes it would be a ridiculous statement to say that nutes have no effect on flavor, the flavors and potency doesnt get delivered by a thc fairy the plant turns the nutes into elements that if in the right proportions will result in dank.
Some of the reason you might have noticed some different flavors in organic and hydro, is because most people are over feeding in hydro, which causes a overabundance of nitrites built up in the plant rather then using its energy to produce sugars because all base nutes using luxury levels of nitrate nitrogen and in order to convert the nitrates into nitrites it used the energy of photosynthesis, which could be used to make sugars instead

i still can't get past the super-septic-all-delicious-fat cherries... ;)

Let me simplify it for you my friend: I never said that the nutes give the flavors and smell to the plants. I said these things affect the flavor and smells.

If you like a good "clean" flavor, then you should go fully synthetic, but if you like more of an "organic" flavor, then go with all organic nutrients.

HP, I guess I am just confused by what you mean by "clean flavor" and "organic flavor" and how you determined this?

I really can't describe that well. There are 2 distinct flavor characteristics that I have always experienced to some degree as long as I have been smoking. I have discussed this with my patients and they say the same thing, but each person tastes their own experience. The flavor characteristics of MJ smoke breaks down on a tree, with the top division being:

1. Organic:
1a. strong or weak:
These variations are caused by individual palates of smokers and the elemental potency determined genetically within the plant
2. Synthetic
2a. clean or dirty:
These variations are caused by differing amounts of chemical elements in the solution going to the plants. And by the level of dry/cure done.

I have tasted bud that had a fuelly or piney flavor but had strong undertones of synthetic chemicals in the buds. It is a distinct but indescribable taste as it can vary depending on which elements are stronger in the material. And I have had several versions of organic grown bud that had a richer flavor that isn't present in synthetic grown plants.

Maybe I am too much of a bud connoisseur :eek:

If the smoke is very "clean" tasting, then there is no telltale sign of chemicals in the material. the grower did a good job of taking it out or keeping it out. However, there is very little to no general flavor that is supposed to come with that bud. The flavor is rather bland as opposed to "very berry", "very fruity", "very piney".

With organic flavor, it can be really strong berry, fruity, citrusy, but the flavor is richer, sometimes a similar flavor of "natural rich earth" comes through ahead of or after the featured flavor. The weaker side of this would be a blandness that is similar to the "clean" synthetic flavor. These two are often confused for each other by those who are less focused on MJ flavor.

This is what happens when I smoke OG Kush. I get all scientific and artistic. I think this bud wakes up parts of my brain that I don't normally use. Unfortunately, it interrupts other parts that that I normally use like typing :doh:

I tell ya what Oldfogey8, Those were the best, plumpest, sweetest cherries I have ever eaten. We picked and jarred jam and jelly until it was running out our ears. And I hated the day that the last jar was eaten. Even the birds had all that they could eat. The owner told us that he never remembered those cherries tasting that good :eek:

Latest posts

Back