autos and pot size

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunakard2000

Reaction score
so im starting a batch of autos here soon, in a week or so and iv done alot of reading here on autos and cant quite decide on which pots to use. i have some round 2 gal pots and i have 7 gal smart pots. now either i simply use the 2gal pots or i roll the top of the smart pots down a bit to give me about a 4-5 gal pot.

which would be better? 2gal or 4-5gal smart pot? im leaning more towards to smart pots with the sides rolled down a bit as it gives me more depth for the autos tap roots to grow streight down.

Bigger the better for autos...as they dont like any stress..and likes deep root growth....So I would run the full 7 gallon SP

:48:

I don't grow them any more and have not for a while but I believe people have had more success with deeper pots. I wouldn't use the 7 gallon smart pots, but then again I grow everything inb one gallon pots. jmo

i grew 4 autos in a lil under a gallon pots (actually reused plastic coffee conts.) their heights were 10", 12", 16", & 14" the first three are same strain go figure that one out but all in all they are more work then they yeild is worth

wish u the best of luck try the deeper pots but the full cycle is so short not sure why u'd need more then a gallon for them jmo green mojo to ya

look here for pics of what i mean http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?p=856360#post856360

Was looking for the threads I did on the autos a few years ago...but must have been lost....I ran the same strain in diffrent types containers...and the Biger yields came from those in bigger containers....Tjose 7 gallon may be a bit more..but like you said...fold the side down and make 5 gallon ...IMO..the one gallon pots make smaller yields....Mojo for the Grow

:48:

Someone who ran autos for quite a while (sorry I can't remember exactly who, but JAAM comes to mind) and used the tall narrow pots they use for trees. I believe that the depth of the pot is more important than the actual amount of soil used. Smart post tend to be bigger around and not as tall--a 7 gal smart post is about as tall as a 3 gal bucket. So, I recommend neither. If you want some yield, get some pots that are tall, like tree pots.

I remember reading about someone using those tree pots for autos. Always wanted to try that.

well out of what i have, 7gal smart pots, rose pots from HTG and the round 2gal... the smart pots are the tallest so i guess ill just give these a go... really just lookin for a quick turn since i lost some summer crops to thripes >_<. lol i was also honestly just lookin for some purple genetics to grow out and the autos were in my price range but im defently gonna go back to /stick with photo plants, much easier it looks like but hey, gotta experiment and try everything, just so nice being a jack of all trades so to speak lol
thanks everyone for the replys ill be using the smart pots and depending on how my current sour diesal goes i should be poppin the autos in their homes around the 13th of Oct and gonna hold on tight for this new adventure in the world of autos. i counted through my calander and its showin Dec 8th for the autos 60th day and the 18th as the 70th day from poppin the beans in the soil. so hopefuly ill have a nice purple christmas XD ill post a journal for the autos and maybe toss in some bud pics from my sour diesal, shes lookin mighty sexy, im guessing based on the amount of tops above the screen and the bud size now compaired to my previous grow without the screen its gonna give me about a quarter pound. we will see..

Good luck with the auto grow.
I use the tree pots. hXXp://www.stuewe.com/products/treepots.php. I think mine are around 3 gallons and about 18" tall but no bigger around than the one gallons so I can cram 10 under a 8 tube T5 till they show sex. Then I pluck the males around 2-3 weeks and the soil is still good for the next grow.

Your Christmas crop plans made me think of one of my favorite MP auto threads from days gone by....
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49433

more later...
OHC

Sun--the 7 gal smart pots are only something like 9-1/2" tall. Why not get a few pots that you are going to know will work? :confused: If you use the 7 gal pots, you are probably going to spend more on soil (that the plant does not actually use) than if you went out and bought some pots that would work well.

Hippy Chick, good to see you pop in. Thanks for the link to the tree pots. I couldn't remember who was using them.

well unless i fall into money before the 13th i wont be able to afford new pots, and my 7gal smart pots are a foot tall, i can make them a little taller by pushing the sides in and up a fuz and tying them in place, i can get about 15-16 inches tall. i already have 50gal worth of soil waiting so thats not an issue. just currently trying to make do with what i have as money is gonna be tight this month and honestly for only running 6 autos for the experience and quick turn as i gear up for a perpetual set up, its not worth it to invest more in something ill use once. thanks for the info though its all appreciated.

so i was just about to look on homedepots site and see if they got some for a reasonable price... uhmm i had a thought... i have a bunch of 6gal buckets... they are about 17.25 inches tall (inside height). would this be a better bet? and should i drill some drainage holes in the bottom?

sunakard2000 said:
so i was just about to look on homedepots site and see if they got some for a reasonable price... uhmm i had a thought... i have a bunch of 6gal buckets... they are about 17.25 inches tall (inside height). would this be a better bet? and should i drill some drainage holes in the bottom?

Yes
Yes
I think that you will have better luck with the taller buckets. Autos need to be given every advantage you can give them. Unlike photoperiod plants, they live for a certain period and any stress that affects growth will affect yield and potency. The better growing conditions, the better yield and potency.

awesome thanks THG, i was hoping you chimed in lol... your words golden around here hahaha. anywho im currently in the process of painting the buckets black, well 5 will be a dark blue since i dont have any black paint layin around >_< hopefuly this blue will be enough to help insure light doesnt penetrate the buckets, well got 3 left to prime then in a few hours ill start my final coat of dark paint. looks like these are gonna be my best bet, as i said before ill try and get a 60day journal going for the autos, thanks again.

I've grown many auto strains,most in 3gal pots and many in 5gal size and have not seen much difference,all about 1oz per plant on average.

I've grown many auto strains,most in 3gal pots and many in 5gal size and have not seen much difference,all about 1oz per plant on average.
1 oz a plant ? really ?
you must be growing dwarf strains
or keeping them too wet
growing outdoors ? maybe
only reason im asking is we had a " auto party cup contest " at the last site i was at and i think if i remember right the winner for yield was around 13 grams or something like that and on average the yields were around 7 grams or so
but thats out of a 16 oz party cup

Someone who ran autos for quite a while (sorry I can't remember exactly who, but JAAM comes to mind) and used the tall narrow pots they use for trees. I believe that the depth of the pot is more important than the actual amount of soil used. Smart post tend to be bigger around and not as tall--a 7 gal smart post is about as tall as a 3 gal bucket. So, I recommend neither. If you want some yield, get some pots that are tall, like tree pots.

its because if the tap root feels confined then the plant tries to go into flower for self preservation purposes
ruderalis has adapted to living in thin layers of soil and this helps the plant to not out grow its living space
and alot of times the root grows at a 45 degree angle so with the air pots theres a chance it might grow out the side and get air pruned which stunts vertical growth

kinda like a fish in a fish tank
the bigger the tank the bigger the fish

wasnt correcting you just adding a little personal experience ;)

Latest posts

Back