Producer pulls "Cannabis Planet" show from O.C. TV station

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
Brad Lane is an outspoken proponent for medical marijuana and wanted to get his message heard. His television show, "Cannabis Planet," was poised to do just that – until he says Orange County station KDOC stopped running its ads and refused to list it.

"We chose (KDOC) for its late-night because of the topic and the economics. We also wanted to tie in with the viewers of 'Star Trek' and 'The Twilight Zone,' and then we could do "Cannabis Planet" at midnight," said Lane. "We had some awesome ads we were going to air. … But at the 13th hour, they came back and said they wouldn't list it or run ads for it. I didn't want to pay money to have my program hidden, so it was just like, 'Thanks, but no thanks.'"

KDOC declined to comment on the matter. The show, which was paid programming, premiered on the station at midnight July 31 and repeated at midnight Aug. 1.

Lane already knows how to run a successful television show (he produces Beach Cities Television Network); so, faced with a difficult decision, he decided to move his show to KJLA. Although Lane has had no reservations about his personal stance on the highly debated plant, he understands people who do; in fact, it was the public's ideas about marijuana that formed the very basis of his decision to create the program in the first place.

"Quite frankly, it's just that the time has come; and what I mean is that I'm so tired of the misinformation and the demonization of cannabis that is out there. It's ludicrous, the mentality that's out there, and I wanted to come up with a show that would counter it," said Lane.

But it was also the newly found interest in the plant's benefits that truly inspired Lane to advocate for its use.

"I am a cannabis patient and I just noticed: the movement has gained incredible momentum in Southern California," said Lane. "I came back down from Mammoth, and my eyes really opened up. The light just came on in my head; I should produce a show on not just its medical purposes, but how it can be a resource industrially."

One of Lane's main goals is to capitalize on the fact that there is no such thing as a "typical stoner," and the show's transition to KJLA has done nothing to sway Lane's confidence that "Cannabis Planet" will be able to dispel this and many of the other rumors that circulate around the plant.

"KJLA is actually the studio where we film. They were very receptive; we just didn't know about the audience," said Lane. "But we have more exposure, and, at the end of the day, we're going to be a destination, and people are going to follow us."

"Cannabis Planet" airs Thursdays and Saturdays at 11:30 p.m. starting Aug. 13.

hxxp://shuurl.com/F6274

how ironic, media organizations that are always on the side of free speech and 1st ammendment rights, are now stifling the views of this guy because of politics? such **, considering the other crap that is on late night paid programming (yes those damn bowflex and nutrisystem ads drive me crazy lol). imo he should restart his program on Berkeley public access TV stations where they will be much more receptive, not to mention he'll probably get a decent viewship - non pot smokers are in the minority in the Berk.

Latest posts

Back