How to make butter cookies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker1

Reaction score
Hi, I watched a show on Nat' Geo about weed. Some guys poured weed into melted butter & ???. I went online asking how to make butter cookies.

It says to use eggs, butter, sugar, flour, vanilla extract, baking powder, & salt. They said: 1) Mix weed/melted butter/ & sugar 1st. 2) Add 1 egg & 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla seperately. 3) Mix baking powder- (no amt. mentioned) & flour together. 4) Put all ingredients together and bake- ( No time or temp mentioned).

Those guys said you get 3 times longer enjoyment out of eating vs. smoking.

I want to get this right. Can someone guide me please? I don't want to do this wrong. Thanks all.:stoned:

you can just melt some butter and mix your bud/trim/leaf/whatever with it and make budder..
then you can cook that into basically anything you want (i'd test it on a piece of toast or something and make sure it's the correct strength, then you can melt more butter or add more shake if needed before cooking a big batch.)

i prefer to strain the crap out after it's been simmering for a while, but know some who leave it and cook it greens and all.
also read people adding water. but when i made it, i just did small batches with straight butter.
honestly i wasn't too impressed with my results, but my uncle unknowingly ate a piece of the apple crisp i made with it and was flying nicely, the lightweight :D
there's many different idea's.. you should be able to find recipes and stuff easier now searching for budder ;)

good luck :)

I would recommend making cannabutter and then making your cookies or whatever using that butter. I personally do not like the taste of cookies, brownies, etc that just have pot thrown into the recipe.

Eating pot gives you a quite different high than smoking it.

i always melt 3x the amount of butter the recipe calls for since just about all butter now haws vegtable oil mixed it with it.. i melt the butter then cool it in the fridge to let the pure butter harden on top of the water and oil. then i melt down the pure butter that was on top of all the oils.

i like to use about an oz of bud per box of brownies or one batch of cookies.. thats just what works for me.. hope this helps a little

View attachment 010-1.JPG

I just made my first batch of canna butter last night. I was so messed up I couldn't even pretend to care today. I used the stovetop - I simmered the mj for 45 minutes with 8 cups of water. Then I added 1.25 lb unsalted butter and simmered for 3 hrs. I put the well strained mixture into a bowl and put that in the fridge. The next morning I tossed the water on the bottom and remelted the butter slab so I could put it in a more suited bowl. After the sample I can see its wayyyyyyyyyy to strong for cooking so will add another pound of butter to this tomorrow if I'm not so baked.

Slowmo and OHC, you guys have some good ideas.

I never studied how to make canna butter using water. I normally simmer ground up weed in butter with 151 proof rum for about three hours. It works for me.

OHC, you simply simmer the weed directly in water and then add butter and continue for another three hours? What is the purpose of this method? Do you think it works better than other methods? How much weed did you use for 1.25 lbs butter?

Slowmo, does purifying the butter before making canna butter make it more potent?

Alistair said:
Slowmo, does purifying the butter before making canna butter make it more potent?

the reason i do it is because most butter also has vegetable oil in it. so when you add th mj to to butter with the oil in it in and it cools. all you remove is the butter that hardens up on top. that leaves alot of THC and other chemicals you want still in the veg oil that didn't harden up so your losing potency.. when you heat the butter and cool it before addin the mj everything stays in the butter so your not leaving anything behind when you cool it a second time..

OHC and Slow, are these MJ trimmings or resin you add?

Think i need to check out the recipe.

i use trimmings or bud.. i'll use 2 oz of trim or 1 oz of bud. thats just how i like it. the amount is really just trial and error based on your taste and tolorance.

I use about 3-4 ozs of good trim per pound of butter. I put the butter, the water, and the trim in a large pot all at the same time. The water is only used to help keep the butter and pot from burning. I simmer for at least 3 hours and then strain through cheesecloth.

Thanks guys. This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time but always been intimidated buy cooking with Mj, you just made it simple.

Alistair said:
Slowmo and OHC, you guys have some good ideas.

I never studied how to make canna butter using water. I normally simmer ground up weed in butter with 151 proof rum for about three hours. It works for me.

OHC, you simply simmer the weed directly in water and then add butter and continue for another three hours? What is the purpose of this method? Do you think it works better than other methods? How much weed did you use for 1.25 lbs butter?

Alistair,

The only reason I went looking for the butter recipe is because I dont care for the taste of alcohol... Maybe I overstudied or overthought it. First time jitters and all...

hXXp://www.thecannabischef.com/content/how-make-cannabutter
Watch this video and it'll show you what I did as far as the technique goes....
I just guessed at how much bud and trim to use.

Water is used because trichs don't disolve into water. So when you chill the mixture, just like oil and vinegar seperate, your butter and water will seperate into layers. The water layer will have the impurities that made it through the strainer and cheesecloth..... please note that the man in the video doesn't use cheesecloth but I got some at the grocery store and lined my collander with two layers... just to get more of the junk out. My water ended up looking like dirty brownish green swamp mud water. I'd seen it used in other videos and thought it was a good idea. It also made things neater when it was time to squeeze out the last bit of the mixture from the trim and buds.

My theory was it's better to make it to strong and cut it later with more butter than to make something not worth the effort... so at the last minute I tossed in another 1/4 oz of some good white widow I was sort of tired of. In total I used 2oz of good trim and about 1/4oz of the WW and maybe 1/3 or so oz of some auto ak47 bud that was what was left after I heavily pollenated a plant and harvested hundreds of seeds... hope this helps get you started man.
xox
OHC

kaotik said:
you can just melt some butter and mix your bud/trim/leaf/whatever with it and make budder..
then you can cook that into basically anything you want (i'd test it on a piece of toast or something and make sure it's the correct strength, then you can melt more butter or add more shake if needed before cooking a big batch.)

i prefer to strain the crap out after it's been simmering for a while, but know some who leave it and cook it greens and all.
also read people adding water. but when i made it, i just did small batches with straight butter.
honestly i wasn't too impressed with my results, but my uncle unknowingly ate a piece of the apple crisp i made with it and was flying nicely, the lightweight :D
there's many different idea's.. you should be able to find recipes and stuff easier now searching for budder ;)

good luck :)

OK, I'm unsure about how much butter & MJ to use, and how long to simmer it. Also, do I have to add water in the mix? Sorry, I want to get this right. I was going to make maybe 12-24 small cookies- (2-3" each) so I just need the closest/exact directions. What are you straining after the budder is done and why? I want maximum results after making the cookies. Smoke is bothering my lungs so eating is my best way. What happens if you eat too many cookies? Thanks for your help.:)

Thanks Slowmo, OHC and everyone. I have a better understanding now.

Walker1 said:
OK, I'm unsure about how much butter & MJ to use, and how long to simmer it. Also, do I have to add water in the mix? Sorry, I want to get this right. I was going to make maybe 12-24 small cookies- (2-3" each) so I just need the closest/exact directions. What are you straining after the budder is done and why? I want maximum results after making the cookies. Smoke is bothering my lungs so eating is my best way. What happens if you eat too many cookies? Thanks for your help.:)

you have to decide what your dose per cookie is going to be.
I like to use two ounces of weed to two cups of oil. my brownie mix makes 8 brownies and takes 1/3 cup of oil which comes out to just over one gram per cookie. so you have to figure out how many grams of weed need to be in the amount of butter or oil that your recipe calls for. :watchplant:

I use a crockpot and won't go back to any other way. I put 2-3 ounces of bud/trim, a pound of butter, and enough water to give it a thick soupy texture. I cook it on low for 8-12 hours stirring it whenever I pass by(about once an hour). I then take a steel strainer and get out as much plant as I can, putting it in a seperate container. I then take a clean white cotton T-shirt and squeeze out remaining butter from plant.

Next the crockpot goes in the fridge till budder hardens forming a solid budder seal on top of mix. I poke a few holes on each side of "budder seal" and carefully drain out water...leaving budder in crock. I then mix up cookies/brownies or whatever right in crock.

Makes super potent treats every time...even when I make hash out of the trim first. I just don't use the 25mic bag if I'm gonna make brownies.

Latest posts

Back