White stuff on my soil mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsman

Reaction score
I've decided to start recycling my soil.After collecting about 30 galllons of used Happy Frog I added bone,blood,cottonseed meal,worm casings,bat guano,etc...Checked on it today and there appears to be a white stuff,looks kinda like spider web/mold stuff.Is this normal?Is this just the soil and microbes and things working?

That's the good bacteria :) Dont forget dolomite lime. Super important.

Thanks NC,I've got hydrated lime but i'm not sure I want to use that in this mix.I use it for my holes outside but am I correct in thinking I need just regular lime/gypsum.I also need to still add some phosphate and azomite.My first go at this mixing stuff so I hope it does ok.Thanks.

yeah...thats good stuff...I get that on top my soil in garbage cans..I just stir it in..:D...look up Calpril for lime...it dissolves on contact with water..

Thanks,it's only going on 3 days now and I stirred it in already once and it's back already,guess I'll stir some more.This is kinda exciting for me!

Dam.....Duck knows all the Big words:rofl:

:48:

4u2sm0ke said:
Dam.....Duck knows all the Big words:rofl:

He's just showing off. :ignore: :hubba: :D :D

OP ... Get rid of that hydrated and snag some *regular* lime. It will say 'derived from ..... limestone. Calcitic or dolomitic. Gypsum will be a separate bag. Usually has 'soil repair' somewhere on it. But, it's not the same as lime.

Apply at the same rate as the lime, 1cup/cf, or a bit more.

BTW, Duck is right and what you have is a good thing.:icon_smile:

Wet

Thanks Wetdog.I'll be going into town today to get some of that plus some other supplies.New at mixing soil but can't afford to keep throwing old stuff away.What is minimum cook time?Does it vary from batch to batch depending on what had to be mixed?I'm doing small(30gal or so)at a time which is easier for me to mix.With you and NC,pcduck and 4U looking over my shoulder,I feel confident.

I dont use my mix for min..30 days....I like to use garbage cans(32g) and dump into another one every week for 4 weeks..than stays in can untill I use it..I also like to make sure its not HOT still...Just how I roll

30 days or more for me too.

Place on tarp, mix, cover, let sit 30 days, then store in garbage cans

I recycle my soil, too.

I have a batch of super soil in a barrel. I also wait a min of 30 days but mix it often. I am going to be mixing another partial batch in a 27 gal heavy duty tote that I have (Home Depot $10) when it decides to quit raining. It is quite easy to mix and turn in the tote and I can keep the soil in there as long as I need.

I use a little kiddie pool with a tarp over it mainly to keep my cat from using it organically so to speak.Haven't followed any certain recipe,just got my lime so i'll go mix that in shortly.Should I add some bat guano also?It's high P so I wasn't sure.So far I have 30gal used soil to which I added 2.5 cups each of bone and blood meal,1.5 cups each of cottonseed meal and greensand and 3 cups of EWC.Adding lime and biotone/plant tone.Any suggestions?What adds the micro nutrients and phosphurous?Not exactly a super soil but I'm hoping it works.

dont foget the mole-asses...my soil mix is mainly for veg..I make teas for flower...

Thanks 4U,i do have mole asses.What's the best to add that in?I am thinking the same for veg and flower as that also.4U,do you use your mix in the shed also?Temps are too hot for the HPS in my shed but I can keep it good enough to run my T5 for veg/clones/autos.Was wondering if you use it inside cause if I remember one of THG's post in her getting dirty thread there was something mentioned about maybe the soil not working good indoors because of something or another.

Make SURE you get that lime with the cottonseed meal, it's super acidic. Maybe not toss it, but when it runs out, I wouldn't buy anymore. It's at the very bottom of my list for N sources.

OTOH, lime is the second thing I add after I measure out my peat moss.

I do the 30 day cook also.

Wet

Not sure I follow,lime with cottonseed meal.All I can find for lime is Hy-Yeild agricultural limestone or hydrated lime.Are you talking of tossing the cottonseed meal?

Lime helps buffer the pH in your soil mixtures. So if you are using cottonseed meal, which is quite acidic, be sure to use lime to to help buffer the acidity of the cottonseed meal. Don't throw the cottonseed meal out, but when it is gone, look for a substitute for N that is less acidic.

Ok,Thanks.I'll start trying to get the alfalfa meal,soybean meal if that's a good sub?Eventually I'll have the stuff for super soil.

Latest posts

Back