What kind of lens for Cannabis macro photography?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
I have purchased a number of macro cams for taking tric pics and none of them quite live up to par. So, I guess it's time to get off my wallet and buy a macro lens for Mrs. Hackermans DSLR.

I have no clue so any tips would be great. It's a Cannon Rebel if that makes a difference for the mount. In my day there were only 2 different style mounts but I don't know what the scene is today.

What mm and f do I want? Most of what I looked at so far was great for close-ups of insects or flowers but nothing that would zoom into the trics.

Thanks

these are from a (IIRC) $100 cam.

not good enough?

I'm ALL FOR new and better gadgets but pushing $1k is... well, up 2 U mate. cheers :beer:
:48:

edit
nope, $80 [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Vividia-Handheld-Endoscope-Microscope-Diameter/dp/B005P40OXY/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1420753394&sr=8-17&keywords=usb+endoscope+camera[/ame]

that $76 version is just different enough for me to suggest the EXACT one I have

View attachment 2day3.jpg

View attachment 1305662032511.jpg

View attachment PICT0668.jpg

View attachment PICT0672.jpg

View attachment LED.jpg

Joe beat me to it buy a china macro camera that hooks up to your PC.
They work well and are cheap. To get a macro for the rebel I think will be pricey

Last edited by a moderator:
@Joe. I do have a USP microscope now. I don't think mine is quite as clear as yours but like any said, I want to take it into the grow room and snap shots.

@ant. I am seeing used Cannon brand 100mm macro lenses on eBay for under $200. I know you get what you pay for but I imagine all the optics are computer ground now. It's not like I am looking for fine German hand ground lenses for my Hasselblad. LOL It's a Canon Rebel. LOL $200 to $300 would be fine since it is a general cam lens and will be used for other things. I have a buddy who collects cameras. He may have something I need. And, he just got divorced and he is flat broke so..... now is a good time to get a good deal. LMAO

Thanks again all

sorry, saw "macro cams for taking tric pics" and assumed

you can plug it into a laptop and go wherever you want but the pictures while hand-held do NOT come out well.
You can use this on live plants to evaluate the trics with video but photo "evidence" like I posted must be done on the stand.

good luck

if those tric shots were hand-held, your better than I am @ that / the equipment performs better.

the field of focus is RAZOR thin and lighting plays its normal (HUGE!) part in photography

can take me 10 mins+ to get a really solid (public forum worthy) shot on the stand with 0-2 flashlights added to the unit's LEDs (not too much!)

the slack/play in the focus dial really SUCKS; go too far one way and then you have to take the slack out of the system before it starts to actually move and you better notice because you were only 1-3 degrees rotation off before anyway (+/-30 degree slack)

Latest posts

Back