coffee grounds perk up compost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berserker

Valhalla
Reaction score
A compost pile,generally made up of yard trimmings,food waste and manures is cause for concern due to the level of pathogens present in the manure.As an alternative,people are instead choosing coffee grounds.Coffee grounds make an excellent addition to compost piles,as they are relatively rich in nitrogen,providing bacteria the energy they need to turn organic matter into compost.
Used coffee grounds can be a safe substitute for nitrogen-rich manure in the compost pile as they have a carbon to nitrogen ration of about 20 to 1, in the same range as animal manure.After brewing,the grounds are close to pH neutral,between 6.5 and 6.8.
Informal research has shown that coffee grounds help sustain high temperatures in compost piles,which reduce potentially dangerous pathogens and kill seeds from weeds and vegetables that were added to the piles.In contrast,the manure in the trial's didn't sustain the heat as long.Coffee grounds seem to improve soil structure,plus attract earthworms.Hope this helps,Keep it GREEN:D

Source:Oregon State University."coffee grounds perk up compost pile with Nitrogen".Science daily 10 July 2008. www.sciencedaily.com

been feeding my earth worms coffee grounds for quite some time now. The seem to like it.

Probably explains why they are so active :D

i also used to keep an old chest freezer as a worm bed.i always kept my coffee grounds to add to the top of the bed.i also sprinkled corn meal on it once in awhile.the worms loved it.

Latest posts

Back