Second Grow "Papaya"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rose, Yep had to pick up a heater. Have my exhaust going back into garage.so when garage warms up doesn't take much to heat the room. If At all, depending on our weather..Been cold lately, supposed to get into 40s this week.
Soaked the beans overnight all were split seen 1 little nub.
All are in Sunshine Mix sitting on top of my steam gen. staying nice & warm

:banana: Ya Hooo Three out of five beans are out of the dirt.. Have them under 600w MH About 18" off the babies with 75 Deg. temp
Is the temp all that we are worried about? on how close we get the light?? How close is to close??

I should be able to bring it right down if that is the case..

I think with a 600w you should be fine at 1' to 2'. Ive been keeping my aircooled 1000w at around 2'

I feel like an expecting Dad, one more popped up...4 outa 5 so far..
Note; Tap water pH 7.86

So with your 1k watt, yiu bring the light down to one or two inches??

Mine grew to about 16 inches from my light. Glad I didn't have any issues, cuz I'm out of room!

I'm sitting about 18" over the little ones & it's about 75 deg.

Sounds good. How close your lights are isn't just about temps. Really, you want the light as close as it can be without burning the plants. Then you need adequate ventilation to keep temps down. If you have to pull your lights further away due to just temps then you prob need better ventilation or a/c of some sort.

you cant keep open lights close, only sealed lights, put a batwing to close and you will cook it, 1-2ft with open wings

I am running an air cooled hood About 18" off the babies right now Temp running 73-75
Give them some time to stand up ...

well i find t5 or cfl are better for babies and you can keep them very close, and they use less power, once they begin to grow then it would be better to switch but i think the hid might be much for babies, just my thought

With the seedlings, you have to be very careful of the lighting. It is a tricky balance that you have to maintain with the HID lights over the seedlings. You don't want the tender flesh of the seedlings to get light that is too intense or too hot. (heat and intensity aren't always the same thing) At the same time, once the seedling begins to establish itself, it will begin reaching for the maximum amount of lumens. There isn't really a standard distance for the HIDs over seedlings or young plants. I would start out with a 600w at about 18-24" and as soon as I see the seedlings begin to stretch, I would bring the light down to about 14" and see how they do. If they begin to look stressed then back it up a few inches.

That is also why I prefer to start out seedlings under the T5s as they are more forgiving of being too close.

I can see that I will be picking up some T5s in the future.. It does seem like a lot of light for such a tiny thing.

The HID will certainly work, you just have to be careful and get it in the right spot each time. The T5 is just easier for that if you have the $ to get one. I use 2 2', 4 bulb fixtures for all my vegging stuff. They were pretty cheap when I got them. :)

HOT5s are great for seedlings and Awesome for Vegging.

Latest posts

Back