oil questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grass hopper

Reaction score
where do u guys get your syringes from?? what size is most popular?? what price raNGE DOES OIL GO FOR?? what is an ideal filter for straining?? the coffie filter i used screened out 5 to 8 grams of hash. holes are a little too fine. i think. thanks for your help!!

I use the magical butter machine, so I use the strainer that comes with that. I get my syringes at Amazon and I get the ones with caps.

I have no idea what oil costs to buy or sell, sorry.

I use the magical butter machine, so I use the strainer that comes with that. I get my syringes at Amazon and I get the ones with caps.

I have no idea what oil costs to buy or sell, sorry.

what size syringes do u get rose?? how do u like to ingest?? i am a diabetic. I DID NOT DECARB THE BUD PRIOR TO MAKING SOME BEAUTIFUL RSO. is this ok ???? i hope. gonna check out the butter mach. thanks rose.

somehow i did not see or hear any mention of decarbing weed prior to making rso. do u think its possible that during the process of evaporing/ cooking the oil at 180 degree f., for several hours, would be enough to decarb?? the ounce i made, is it smokeable, vapeable or is it junk.. thoughts, THANKS!!

It isn't junk.. Have you tried it? Smoking would decarb it, but that isn't really what it is for. I have never smoked rso, it is very strong. Usually i decarb at 250 degrees.

It isn't junk.. Have you tried it? Smoking would decarb it, but that isn't really what it is for. I have never smoked rso, it is very strong. Usually i decarb at 250 degrees.

I WOULD THINK THAT THE EVAPORATION PROCESS, BOILIng the weed/ alcohol for hours would more than decarb. also the bright green color (liquid),a couple videos showed might be lost.. after decarbing prior to adding solvent, would that not make the liquid mix color brown?? also, i just read several articles on decarb and said "240 degrees for 30 minutes was not enough'.. after much testing, "240 degrees f. for 1 hour was ideal for gaining 50% more thc and cbds in the final product".. thanks!!!

That is interesting GH. I know there are many thoughts about the time and temp of decarbing. I do what the magical butter machine people tell me to and it works. Where did you get this chart? This chart states that 30 min is better.The way I understand it is it is all THCA until you decarb which drops the A (acid) and your left with TCH.

I think you were "boiling" the booze off not the oil.. Did you taste it yet? You need to take a small piece of rice size and see what happens in an hour... I want to know. This will be good info to have grass hopper. thank you.

That is interesting GH. I know there are many thoughts about the time and temp of decarbing. I do what the magical butter machine people tell me to and it works. Where did you get this chart? This chart states that 30 min is better.The way I understand it is it is all THCA until you decarb which drops the A (acid) and your left with TCH.

I think you were "boiling" the booze off not the oil.. Did you taste it yet? You need to take a small piece of rice size and see what happens in an hour... I want to know. This will be good info to have grass hopper. thank you.

the temp they used was 240f... the 'TRIM' (1) hour method had 50% more thc after decarb. yes, very interesting. more info coming... re , cooking the oil, it was still cooked for 4 to 5 houirs at 170 degreesf. +/-.. would think that would decarb..? also i am gonna send out free tastes to oil users for opinions. will have a much better feel in a couple weeks. i had a lil taste, it reminded me of the resign inside a bong (not tasty). honestly, i am scared of it.( bad brownie trip many years ago)..

Am I on crack? I wish i could just circle that part where total cannabanoids is higher with the 30 min.

Am I on crack? I wish i could just circle that part where total cannabanoids is higher with the 30 min.

lol, i see your point rose!! yes, total cannabanoids is higher with the 30 min. decarb in the trim comparison. yet thc, 50% higher, cbd higher. biggest problem with weed is there are so many variables that work. VERY TOUGH comparisons..

I'm a little confused. How can you start out with .6% CBDA and CBD and end up with 1.3% CBDA and CBD? I understand CBDA being converted to CBD (that is the reason for the decarb), but how does the percentage more than double? The CBDA is after all, actually losing a carbon molecule.

hi thg. i dont see the 1.3 u are refering to. i do see cbda lowering to (.3).??..

i looked at the magical butter mach. rose. appears small for doing any size quantity. i really liked the rice cooker($36.), holds 10 cups. just about perfect for doing about a pound of good trim or buds. thanks for the heads up on making sure the syringes come with caps... re the filter issue. the video on making rso shows they"re using a #28 bag for filtering. the mag. butter uses a #190 bag for filtering. i think the larger the #, the larger the holes. just the opposite as u would think. anyway i am gonna use the #220 bag for filtering from my hash making bags. it will still be a couple weeks to get back reports on my 1`st batch. thanks!!!

i would love to learn more on pressing. hearing more about that. local grow store says they make one with an 11 by 11 inch plates. have u tried pressing???

The kief starts out with .6% CBDA and 0% CBD. After decarbing for 30 minutes, you are left with .3% CBDA and 1% CBD. And CBDA is just CBD with an extra carbon molecule attached, so I added the 2, that is the 1.3%. So it looks like a gain of CBD? However, now I am thinking that maybe there is a typo and rather than 1% it should read .1% (like the 60 minute decarb numbers).

I like using a large crock pot for butters and oils. However, if I get to where I have enough trim that I can make a lot of butter and oil, I will probably invest in a Magic Butter Machine. It makes smaller batches, but faster and easier.

nice summery! i think u are correct. re butter mach., i read both good and bad reviews on it. it was designed for making butter. and later people found thet could also make oils as well, though not in lg. quantities. i like bigger and better and cheaper (sorry). i know u 2 are personal use based. i'm ranting again. good call thg!! :aok:

my UNdecarbed (sample#1) came back at 70% thc and .28% thca. Note my rice cooker will only reach a max temp of 173 degrees but cooked about 5 hours....then 1 more hour in coffie maker as per u tube...

i then tried a decarb (sample #2). baked at 240 degrees for 20 minutes. i did not want to decarb any longer in fear of over decarbing. because of filtering out at least (5) grams of hash (on sample #1), using "the coffie filter", i thought i would be smart and try a filter with alot larger holes. after reading "the butter machine used a #190 filter, i went even larger with a 220 screen, from my hash bags ,(MISTAKE)!! note; there was GRIT, which I THINK were THE LARGER TRICS I HAD previously filtered out. i stirred and stirred near the finish but the grit would not melt in. while drawing the finished product into the syringes, (3) large blueberry sized nuggets formed on the end of the syringe. i collected these off and continued drawing. the sample #2 came back from the lab at just under 40% thc and 5.64% thca... My conclusion is, i did not cook down (sample # 2) quite enough. the oil did not simmer or fine bubble boil , like in batch # 1. instead had little pops during the final boiling procedure. my wife strongly blamed "the grit" !!! if anyone is interest in seeing the lab results, i will be happy to post. STILL LEARNING..

Well that is very interesting. So i am confused, not your fault, mine.

Which one did you decarb in the oven before making the oil? I am surprised you have any thca in it at all... hm..lumpy? Yes, you will get better, i am going to make some tomorrow I hope. keep up the good work, and I would love to see your test results.

Chart ain't right !--- Pretty chart but the numbers don't add up !-- Grass hopper -- I had a major head injury and spent 7 years on morphine and other poison as a legal junky !-- Now I'm only on cannacaps !-- Done a lot of decarbing !-- I decarb at 240 for 30 with an extra 5 minutes to allow it to come to temp !-- I simply decarb my weed and run it thru a screen colander to make it pack into capsules easier !-- Pack the caps full and chase them with some coconut oil and done !--Let my belly do the extraction !--- Adjust dosage to potency! -- Do an experiment for us and decarb at different Temps and come back and tell us what U discover !--

Latest posts

Back