2)-600 watts vs 1)-1000 watts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyinghigh

Grow Pretty Flowers
Reaction score
Ok thinking of buying 2)-600 watts hps to go into a 6x8 room.
Will this be enough lighting.?

I am trying to keep the electric down and figure 2- 600 watts would be better then 2)-1000 watts and still grow 8 plants without any problems.

Any info will help..

I run a 4x8 with 3x 600w and I am content with the light footprint. If i had a 6x8 room I would much rather have the 2x 1000w lights over 2x 600w hps. I will be beefing up the flower room for the winter by expanding to an 8'x8' area and i'll be adding another 2k to the 1800w i'm already using.

Go with the 2k my friend unless you wanna go with 3x 600w hps....

IMO, 2 600W is not enough light for 48 sq ft. That would only give you 3750 lumens per sq ft. If you want to cut your space down, you could probably still fit 8 plants just fine. I have a space that is 3 x 6.5 running a 1000W and I can get 8 plants in that space just fine if they are not monsters. But 1200 watts in 48 sq ft is probably going to result in unsatisfactory results--stretched plants and light airy buds.

My ex and I used to grow in a large room. We made some moveable dividers with mylar (I would use Panda film now) and PVC tubing. They looked somewhat like the dividers they use in large office spaces to separate the workers. We could move them to work and as the plants got bigger. If you are looking to lessen your electrical costs, you really need to lessen the space you have to light also.

I also feel 2 600's won't cut it in that size space.

IMO, the decision lies in one question.... How high is the room?

My biggest problem with my 1000w light was keeping the plants away from it. I got light bleaching and leaf burn like crazy. I am using 600w now and the plants are 2" from the hood lens and not suffering at all for it.

If the ceiling is low, 600w and probably 4 of them for that space. If the ceiling is high enough (or your plants are low enough or scrog'd or whatever) definitely 1000w. I mean, why not (if cost is not a factor)?

And, no matter what wattage, I suggest that you probably still need 4 just because these hoods are so tiny these days that you get a very small [effective] footprint out of a hood. I'm not considering lumens or any of that. Just footprint.

Maybe a light mover.

My space is 1/2 that size and 2 hoods light it up just right. One barely lights half the room.

I don't have the problems that Hackerman has with the 1000W. I get some bleach on some strains if I let them grow right up to the glass, but any problems are minor. You can buy any size hood you want, they are not all small. In my space, I didn't get any better yield from 2 600W lights as I did from a 1000W. I just figured that given my conditions that 7500 lumens per sq ft is about all my plants could utilize.

bigger is always better---6 x 8 space = 2---8" hoods w/ 1k watt bulbs---u'll be kicking urself later for not maximizing ur space now

what are ur height restrictions and do u have plant count restrictions???

whats ur harvest weight goal?

can u control temperature?

all to be considered before u decide which way to go---jmo

Look into Hydrofarm Raptor 8 air cooled hood...It is a monster and is, unfortunately too big to fit in a 4' x 4' tent or I would get one. http://www.hydrofarm.com/product.php?itemid=11312I

They claim it has best in the world reflective quality's....Granted that is a sales pitch....
They also have a dual bulb model if that is of any benefit in this situation...

I really like that Raptor. I wonder what the footprint would look like in my room.

They have a 6" version at the local store.

I have seen them used and they have a great footprint. But you want to keep them in as close a space as you can fit it in so that you don't lose lumen concentration.

My room is 6Wx8Lx8H and I am going to rebuild my hood to hold two 1k bulbs and put in exhaust fan to drawl heat out, the hood be 6ft X 4ft x 12 inch flange or so with thin window glass. Not for sure if I am going this way just yet.
Can't wait to restart my grow soon..

I doubt that thin window glass will hold up to the heat from 2000W HPS, plus it is quite dangerous. I wouldn't put anything but tempered glass in a reflector hood. I don't know how many times I have raise up while working on the plants in my room and hit my head on the glass in the reflector. Doing something like that with thin window glass could be deadly--glass like that can cut you so bad.

my 2 cents...I have run 2 600w in a 4x4 tent and that is about right for lumens

have you ever thought about using 2 1k lights and flipper box with a timer? 1 light is on for an hr, then 2nd light comes on and first goes out. repeat for 12hr cycle.

I doubt that thin window glass will hold up to the heat from 2000W HPS, plus it is quite dangerous. I wouldn't put anything but tempered glass in a reflector hood. I don't know how many times I have raise up while working on the plants in my room and hit my head on the glass in the reflector. Doing something like that with thin window glass could be deadly--glass like that can cut you so bad.

Trying to use with what I got as a windowshield for hood.

I understand that you are trying to use what you have, but window glass is not safe and it will not stand up to the heat of 2 1000W bulbs. In addition, window glass is not meant to be hung horizontal and I have concerns about the stress on a 4 x 6 plate of thin glass mounted horizontally in a hood. Just concerned about your safely here flyinghigh. When I was about 11--before the days of safety glass, I ran through a plate glass door. Took over a hundred stitches to close up the numerous lacerations. Glass can cut you incredibly bad. Some places we can skimp, some places we can't. Please please do not make a 4 x 6' hood with thin window glass!

I would think a reflector for each bulb would allow for a better light spread.

I have seen them used and they have a great footprint. But you want to keep them in as close a space as you can fit it in so that you don't lose lumen concentration.
Out of curiosity i ran 2000 watts in 187 sq foot room with 10.69 watts per sq foot imprint i vegged 5 weeks and made 7 pounds 72 plants what as my lumen per sq foot ????? 1 - 1000 mh and 1 - 1000 HPS i am guessing max maybe 500 lumen per sq foot ??? and how much is it suppose to be lumen per sq foot for actual ????

View attachment !cid_0312012200a.jpg

I understand that you are trying to use what you have, but window glass is not safe and it will not stand up to the heat of 2 1000W bulbs. In addition, window glass is not meant to be hung horizontal and I have concerns about the stress on a 4 x 6 plate of thin glass mounted horizontally in a hood. Just concerned about your safely here flyinghigh. When I was about 11--before the days of safety glass, I ran through a plate glass door. Took over a hundred stitches to close up the numerous lacerations. Glass can cut you incredibly bad. Some places we can skimp, some places we can't. Please please do not make a 4 x 6' hood with thin window glass!

Well it was a thought of cheap, save money.. after building a 3k work shed 16wx20Lx16 overall height.. I think I'll just buy a temper glass..
Ty and Ty all.

Latest posts

Back