How long do I keep new clone under light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My WW girl is a nice, darkish shade of green, no yellowing leaves, no brown spots, no wilting - therefore, everything is ok / fine, and I don't need to worry about ph.

I will let ph be a concern for those who are really anal-retentive, and/or control freaks who are really nerdy about this whole grow thing. When you grow outdoors do you test ph, or do you just make sure your plants look healthy by getting what they need?

The Hemp Goddess said:
PH is not nonsense--you should always be concerned about your pH. If your pH is not within certain parameters, you plants are not going to get the nutrients they need. How can you know that your soil is okay/fine if you do not know what your pH is?

I dont worry about my pH either! I've done several soil grows. All I did was water and give it as much light as possible. Maybe a little nutes. All have turned out great. Its a weed. Doesnt take much to grow unless you choose to go that route. Which is also fine.

White WidowMaker said:
I will let ph be a concern for those who are really anal-retentive, and/or control freaks who are really nerdy about this whole grow thing. When you grow outdoors do you test ph, or do you just make sure your plants look healthy by getting what they need?

You don't need to ph outdoor plants because rainwater is either nuetral or slightly acidic. That is rain water is in the 7.0-6.5 area, the area people try to ph their water to indoors...

If your plants look fine its because your cities tap water isn't too messed up, and that makes you a lucky person. Believe me though, if you weren't that lucky you would be an "anal retentive nerd" like the rest of us. Simple fact, if your ph isn't in the zone, your plant will get messed up. By chance your ph is in the zone, so how about you stop name calling all of us who actually have to work to give our plants what they need, instead, why don't you sit back and appreciate the good fortune that has fallen upon you.

You can pick up a ph meter from something like a pet store for next to nothing, yeah they may not be considered as good as the expensive ones but if calibrated correctly and regularly they at least get you in the right zone.
Not having a go here man but i'd say testing and correcting your ph is considered as one of the first and most basic and important parts of indoor growing.
Simple truth is if you get it wrong you in trouble.
They can be bought from as little as £10 in my money so for the price i really dont see the logic in taking the risk.
Your call though fella and as always, best of luck :)

White WidowMaker said:
I wonder if I had covered my babies in plastic wrap to create humidity if I would have had more success in the others surviving?

Maybe you would if you didnt think PH was nonsense?

White WidowMaker said:
My WW girl is a nice, darkish shade of green, no yellowing leaves, no brown spots, no wilting - therefore, everything is ok[/fine, and I don't need to worry about ph.B] /

Everything is clearly not "ok", you have no visible root system.

White WidowMaker said:

Hmmmmm

When you grow outdoors I would advice checking the soil pH and if need be adjust it accordingly.

Just as our anal-retentive grandfathers and there grandfathers did to keep the soil "SWEET".......

Thanks...I do ok without need to check it. Maybe because I am growing in soil and not hydro I don't need to be monitoring this. I do ok with growing visually knowing when it looks healthy and when not, and what to do to remedy it.

If you need to check ph, ok, no disrespect to you. But I don't need it, and for me it is unnecessary nonsense in my soil grows. I do ok without having to check or monitor ph.

Newbud said:
Not having a go here man but i'd say testing and correcting your ph is considered as one of the first and most basic and important parts of indoor growing.

Hey if it works it works and no one can knock it.
Just trying to help as always.
As i have discovered just cos people tell you sumet dont make it right lol or relevant to your grow.
Wouldn't go without checking myself BUT i not in soil AND you dont get problems once you got something going so who am i to judge.
All the best man, if it works it works and you happy with your results then do your own thing.
I begining to realise there no set right and wrong way to go, nothing set in stone, and the old phrase too many cooks spoil the broth springs to mind ;)

i give this all the chance in the world
but dont talk to the hemp goddess like that.
she tries to tell you a definite useful FACT about growing
and you come back with a reply like that?
sorry hick, im trying but thats just whack.
straight.

well, for the last few days I have been placing my clone baby-girl out in the sunshine during the day (in her original clone pot), and she is looking healthy, so tonight I came home and placed water in the pot, turned it upside down and pulled the plant out to transplant.

I think I should have waited longer, because the top half of the mud came out with the plant in it ok, but the bottom half must have been really heavy because it ripped off the bottom part of the root. I should have smacked/tapped the bottom of the pot as I was trying to get the girl out, or I should have cut the plastic with a knife and tried to take it out whole.

Even better, I think I should have waited a few weeks until the root turned into a rootball...but I figured that if I moved her to a bigger pot she would have more room to grow her roots.

I don't know, we will see if she survives the transplant. I watered her well in her new home, and I guess the next few days will tell.

Does anyone know how long it will be until I know for 100% certain that she survived? Is two days enough? one week? I am now worried that that root-rip might shock her and kill her. I hope not. I love her~!

Only time will tell on that one.
Wouldn't worry too much if there still a decent amount of root on it, they can be resilient little buggers, you'll not be the first or the last to do it for sure.
If its any consolation i've done same and remarked to girlfriend that "Thats gona be pi***d of for a few days" and not even noticed a change lol.
On my first lot i even had one that seemed to give up when i took it from cloner to first pot so i pulled it.
Dunno why but stuck it in a glass of water with some pebbles to see what would happen and it made full recovery????

As for "Even better, I think I should have waited a few weeks until the root turned into a rootball...but I figured that if I moved her to a bigger pot she would have more room to grow her roots", even if the roots are in a ball, once moved to a bigger space they will grow into that new space as well.
Couldn't tell you whether anyone else will agree but thats coming from my own experiences so i seen it with my own eyes.

Just give it a chance, might even look like game over for a bit but i reckon she will come good, and as i said you might not even notice a change.
Hope she ok, let us know how she goes :)

yes, that's why I figured it might have been better until the roots filled the pot and became a rootball because of no more space in the pot.

Thanks for your encouragement and words of support. I'll update in a few days, hopefully with good news.

well, it's been a day, another day out in the warm sunshine in the new pot. She is still green, no wilting. Looking good so far!

I was gonna say that i just give a lil tug on them stem to determine if there are roots or not, usually about 8-10 days for me, if it pulls obviously no roots but if it fights back then roots should have a hold. But I check my ph so listen to me or not.

Reckon it be fine then cos they usually let you know pretty quick if there not happy

well, another day in the sunshine and she is looking good. Today I found and purchased 5 liters of worm castings! I am so excited! Much better than chemicals!

Growright, I disagree with your advice. To tug on a fragile clone is dangerous because the roots are fragile. I would prefer to watch for green to know if she has rooted ok, and not tug on her and risk killing tiny roots that may be forming.

Latest posts

Back