Carbon Filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yo DLT!! One quick q on this...What is the overall length of the filter? I got all the stuff from Lowes yesterday, but the chicken wire is 24in tall and it just feels kinda long?? Thanks in advance!!

I stretched the panty hose over my head before trying to put them on the filter. It gave me one heck of a headache, and I still needed help with getting them over the top. Kudos to those that figured out how to do it alone...

DSC06473.JPG

benamucc said:
I stretched the panty hose over my head before trying to put them on the filter. It gave me one heck of a headache, and I still needed help with getting them over the top. Kudos to those that figured out how to do it alone...

That was u at the store the other week with a panty hose over ur head !:hubba:
Didn't anyone tell u that u have to put the panty hose on ur leggs not ur head..!!;)
Must of been real tight to get a headache !!!:rolleyes:

Hey,does anybody know where the best place is to install the fan?I did up a little diagram on paint to show you what i mean.i'm gonna be using 2 of these filters with a flexibe tube (one people use to vent their dryers) hooked to the reducer but i'm not sure if i want the fan right at the end of the tubing or if i want it right at the top of the filter but im wondering if since the airs gotta travel all the way through the tube,if i should have two fans going.one pulling the air and one blowing the air into the filter...? lil confused on which way,i'd like to get away with just one fan (since it would use less energy) but will just 1 get the job done? i grow in a 12'x9' room and was planning on building two of these filters. Thanks for any input i can get on this.-G

benamucc-- I looked at your picture and how you have a seperate chamber for the fan. That's a great idea that I am going to utilize. I have some air flow issues with mine. That should absolutly help with pulling air.

DLtoker said:
Works like a Dream. My grow area was getting hot with 1000W of T5's but now she is back down to the low 70s and there is *no* smell outside. Perfect :)

Do you have pics of your T5 grow. ID REALLY like to see. Im thinking on going all T5s for Veg.

Thanks DL

Stunzeed..

I have one question ( sorry for my stupidity but i'm a newbie, i'm starting from scratch) after you've finished your carbon filter, where are you supposed to place it in order to make it work properly?
one last question: if I have my plants in a large closet which is in a closed room with sealed windows would it still smell outside?

^ heat rises so your exhaust/filter should be at the top of your closet/setup

I've just wrapped up a furnace filter into a cylinder, ducted up the end, sealed it up to the exhaust. Seems to be working well, though I wouldn't expect it to last 3 months, the carbon layer is thin. Good $3 filter though!

Call me stupid but i've seen so much conflicting information on this its untrue.

Is aquarium stuff the same as air type stuff, can either be used? Which is yours?
Different people say different things :(

I didn't see anyone else ask this, so... the air will be blowing through the inner "tube", so I want to put the carbon between the two layers, right? And fill it up, or does it need some space to breathe?

Also, how long does the carbon continue to deodorize? will it work for several grows of 100cfm, or several grows of 250cfm. I would imagine the amount of air being circulated through it would cause it to expire quicker, right?

*edit*-I see that it will last four to six months, but at what rate 100cfm or 500?

Good question... I really never thought the CFM mattered because the activated carbon is being exposed to the air either way. I really wouldn't stress too much. Once you start to catch a whiff of skunk, then you know you need to replace the carbon. I always keep extra on hand for when the day comes.

What about the pack job? I'm kinda worried that I won't be able to pack it evenly. How do you do it?

im using the odor neutralizing bucket right now and like it alot,but im using some totally toddler baby stain and odor remover.it definitly takes care of the skunk smell,but the smell of the baby stuff kinda gets me sick after having to smell it for too long.what type of odor does that ona give off? (Thanks)

"Pack job"? Don't over think this setup. Simply pour the carbon into the outer ring that the two cylinders produce and fill it right up...

And pertaining to Ona... It smells like fabric softener. It's great for a small grow, but once you get serious and want to play a little more with growing, a carbon filter is just about the best way to go.

I have a room where we all hang out and smoke in, and it's a little hot in the room. Luckily this room was a 1 car garage converted into a room, so it has those little 14x6 square vents around the bottom of the walls. I purchased a 6" inline fan @ 250cfm, which should replace the air in this room every 8 minutes by my calculations. I have the fan attached to 6" duct tubing that is then connected to a 6" circular to 14"x6" square metal piece, which connects to the square vent to expel the air outside. I will be placing this setup closer to the ceiling, and run the ducting down to the square vent at the bottom of the wall.

I'd like to put this DIY carbon filter somewhere in the middle of this setup. With that said, could I modify these instructions and swap out the end caps with an 8"-6" reducer, and then wrap the middle section with metal sheeting and clamp the sheeting down with clamps? This way, all air would be passing through the ducting and going outside.

Would this still work efficiently, or would I need to get a more powerful fan?

Latest posts

Back