Christmas Crop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigFunGirl

Reaction score
I recently began to get low on funleaf. :shocked:
So i started a Christmas crop.
Details
Germination
(10/24/09) 60 seeds soaked in 80 degree F. tap water. Checked on them every 8 hours.
(10/25/09) 44 sunk and cracked within 24 hours. Put them in wet paper towels between 2 plates atop heating pad. Temp of towels was 86 - 92 F.
(10/26/09) First 42 to grow 1/2 centimeter taproots were bedded in MG seed starter mix in a flat with 7 inch dome, and placed atop heating pad. One 26 watt 6500K spectrum (daylight) CFL light bulb in a $5 reflector was set atop the dome powered 24/7. Temp of soil stayed 84 – 90 F. Air in dome was 75 - 81 F. With 68% - 75% humidity.
(10/28/09) First 10 seedlings broke ground.
(10/29/09) Husks on 12 or so are lost and coty’s opened and turned green, making 10/29/09 the official birthday of the crop.
Plants #1 - #7 are transplanted into Fox Farm Ocean Forrest soil. Stems of the seedlings are buried completely. 5.5 x 5.5 inch square pots with 6 inch depth. Rest of seedlings are left in dome. Wanted to transplant more of them, had unavoidable commitments.

102809 001.jpg

102809 004.jpg

102909 003.jpg

102909 004.jpg

102909 005.jpg

102909 006.jpg

103109 001.jpg

Recovered from halloween. (dress up parties are always wilder :) )
(11/01/09) Best remaining 21 seedlings from the dome are transplanted and labeled #8 – #28. Remaining 12 seedlings and 10 seeds are destroyed. Soil on all plants is covered with a thin layer of perlite. (Many people believe that light on the bottom of leaves will cause stretching. I believe, at least in these specific conditions, the perlite layer results in less stretching.)
(11/01/09) 400 watt MH is lowered to about 12 inches from tops and powered 16light/8dark, “Day” temperature at leaves is 75-79 F. Plants are given 400 ml of room temperature tap just before night.

110109 001.JPG

110109 002.JPG

110109 003.JPG

110109 006.jpg

110109 007.jpg

110109 004.jpg

110109 005.jpg

Welcome to MP, BFG!

are they any particular strain or some bag seed?

also, unless chopped extremely early, very doubtful of Xmas or New Year's bud.... possibly some Super Bowl bud.... that's what my Super Silver Haze is going to be....

best of luck on your grow! i've got my milk crate pulled up for this one....

(11/03/09) All plants are given 50 ml room temperature tap.
(11/05/09) All plants are given 50 ml room temperature tap.
(11/08/09) All plants are given 400 ml room temperature tap just before night.
(11/09/09) Early Morning Pictures

110909 001.JPG

110909 002.JPG

110909 003.JPG

Well Flesh, These are lowrider2 so with a birthday of 10/29/09 they should be 8 weeks old on Christmas eve. 9 weeks at newyears. I cut my last crop at 8 weeks exactly and the trichomes were perfect. Heres a close pic of #2 from my last batch.

081609 02 005.jpg

wow..nice setup...Girl...Ill be fallowing along if ya dont mind..Lovely pic ya take...thanks for shareing with us...

take care and be safe:48:

very nice.... being a clone or regular seed grower i often overlook the auto's....

seems like it'll be a holly jolly christmas afterall!

best of luck on the grow.... can't wait to see the outcome....

:watchplant: I'm in.....
I've got some autos that will be in the MG seed starter within the next two days. Will be watching with interest.
GREEN MOJO

Well that is an impressive first post. I look forward to seeing more.

Will be watching this one closely. Good luck on the grow! Nice set up!

4u2smoke. Thanks, it’s a decent little camera and the lens fits right with the mag-lenses I use to see trichs, I love sharing the grow, since I can’t tell anyone around here. the photo’s are the best part of forums.

Flesh. I understand that The autos can be frustrating sometimes with all the fuss that goes into growing from seed. (there’s always at least one stunted/misshapen genetic runt) Plus there’s the added hassle that males create. You waste your $ and time and effort on them and have to pull them and dump their soil when they grow balls. :mad: But,,, there is the Speed… I do love the speed. :D I’m done growing in 8 weeks and have dry quality happyleaf in nine. (of course if I’m out of personal I’ll smoke it fresh. It’s a different experience, but still quite fun)
Then there’s the Quality. I see people who say auto’s are crap quality, and I have No Earthly Idea What They’re Talking About (laugh) this lowrider2 stuff is my absolute favorite high. (if the trich’s are mostly cloudy with no amber when they’re clipped) It kicks my sex drive, set’s my taste buds tingling, makes the music wider so I can dance,:dancing: it doesn’t have the paranoia, couch-lock, or the coma/nap requirement.
I share (just a joint or 2 here and there, to start the party or concert) and I get all kinds of compliments on the lowrider2 the northern lights I used to grow didn’t get.

OldHippieChick. Great, we can get some compare and contrast action through the grow. What strain(s) of auto are you germing?

I'll be posting regularly. I'm seeing some obvious but minor distress on #5 and #20. They have yellowing of the veins of the new growth. I think maybe I should have taken more time in prepping the FF, should have stirred and mixed it up better. It's not burn I don't think, its deficiency. maybe magnesium or manganese. Got a couple pics here. What do you guys think? Mineral salts solve this problem or am I way off?

110909 004.JPG

110909 005.JPG

110909 006.JPG

Definition of quality depends on the coast.

Where are you? Right Coast? ;)

BigFunGirl said:
OldHippieChick. Great, we can get some compare and contrast action through the grow. What strain(s) of auto are you germing?
10 Fem Buddah White Dwarfs. First grow. Tent 48"x24"x60" soil 600Watt HPS.

OGKushman said:
Definition of quality depends on the coast.

Where are you? Right Coast? ;)

It grows the same on the right as is does on the left, just as the same as on the east as the west.

(11/12/09) All plants inspected for gender. #5 was destroyed for being male. :mad: All remaining plants are given 400 ml room temperature tap just before night. No other plants showed sex.
I wonder if the gender was affected by the difficiency it being the only one to show.

Early morning pictures tomorrow

111209 001.jpg

Were these Feminized seeds?
Also, I noticed a large percentage of your original seeds did not germinate. Is this the norm in your experience? I've been having very bad luck germinating and it's disheartening reading GJ after GJ and seeing 80-100% germination rates so I am looking for feedback on a realistic expectation.
I want to add that I really like your presentation style.

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']OldHippieChick [/FONT]"Were these Feminized seeds?"

No, not feminized. These seeds were home-made quite a bit ago. 2 strong girls from my first lowrider2 crop were pollinated 4 weeks into growth and BOOM! Over 300 seeds :holysheep: that were sorted through for 254 seeds of the quality pictured here.
The original 10 seeds cost $106 to get. :rant: Oh SURE! they are only $70 USD for the seeds,, UNLESS you want them shipped! Want shipped stealth? Well OF COURSE that costs MORE oh and by the way, you have to pay sales tax of the ****ING CC even though you are just buying your own money in a different form. I,,, HATE,,,, Visa. :rant:
ok,, feel better now. :p
On top of costing an arm and a leg, you never know what quality you're going to get. Out of the 10 Lowrider2 shipped, 2 were small and slightly misshappen and a third had two intersecting seams. (the husk was quartered not halved, which pissed me off to no end as it was so OBVIOUSLY a bad seed :rant: ) these didn't crack at all. So I got 7 decent non-fem seeds for $106 USD out of pocket. That's about $15 per seed to get them to the mailbox. Oh the freebies the stupid sites always include? Yeah, I got 10 TINY, and I mean TINY seeds from a strain that has one of the strongest smell intensities available, so those were completely useless.
ok,, feel better now. :p

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']OldHippieChick [/FONT]"I noticed a large percentage of your original seeds did not germinate. Is this the norm in your experience? I've been having very bad luck germinating and it's disheartening reading GJ after GJ and seeing 80-100% germination rates so I am looking for feedback on a realistic expectation."
While only 44 out of the 60 that were soaked, sunk and cracked in the first 24 hours, there is no rule that they can soak only for a day.
There is also decent chance that some that soak and sink but do not crack right away would eventually (a day or four later) crack between the towels and become perfectly healthy plants.
The 2 foot by 3 foot space can fit 11 of the bigger pots I use (after gender checks and transplanting).
It can fit 28 of the little pots.
To ensure only the best girls end up in the final chamber for the last 5 weeks. I went with 28 strongest sprouts. Hoping for at least 14 girls because you never know when one of your plants is going to be the tiny LR1 sized pheno. (I had one of these runts last crop #7)
Check these pics.
The other reason for the overkill on seeds is I didn’t want what I had 2 crops ago, which was 3 plants that lagged 8 days behind the rest. Makes harvesting/drying suck since I use the same 2X3 space to dry as to grow. (another reason autos are better for my space preferences)

111309 004.JPG

081509 07 001.JPG

081509 07 002.JPG

Latest posts

Back