Melvanetics BeP and Super Buckeye grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man you don't need to change anything with those results, unless you are just wanting more yield. Those purple buds are gorgeous. :) You can get more. I can get 5-7oz max in a 2x2.5 space using a 600wHPS, which is what it would take to get the density and number of larger buds up, but like you say, it would cause you significant heat issues. Which heat can be dealt with but there is more cost and challenge involved, in the way of HVAC.

Thank Pup. It also comes down to trying to justify buying something more to Mrs Fogey. I grow more than the Fogey household can smoke already. First world problems...

Congrats on the harvest! Your purp is very impressive.

thanks tc. can't wait to partake...

so kinda a sad face. i weighed what i have from my harvest. i had my son jar it up yesterday with some hygrometers and they were in the 71-74% rh range so i pulled the buds out and put them in some paper bags to let 'em dry a bit more. while i had them in the bags i weighed what i have and i am bummed that i am currently at about 120 grams. i still have some larger stems i need to remove and obviously some water weight to shed. i think i will be lucky to get 100 grams. i don't think i vegged nearly long enough. may be too much 10000 kelvin with uv bulbs in the last couple of weeks too. you live and you learn. on the sunny side of the street though, my son smoked some wet bud and said it is a pretty heavy duty buzz. i also have 4 healthy clones so i can try to improve. thinking more and more that i may need to go hps too. i am also a bit down since i don't have my indoor garden anymore...

took a couple drags off of a joint rolled from 'still too wet' bud. my impression is i wont need a huge harvest. very nice buzz. i have been rambling on and on to my polite son for about an hour. i thought i'd be knocked out but i am very alert and loving it. if i were a twit(is that what they call people on twitter?) i'd pound something like #indicaaftersmokingsativaforayearisreallyabitmorepowerfulthanonewouldthinkbutthatisnotnecessarilyabadthing or maybe just#buzzed...

Did you say you used UV tubes for flower? I don't think they're much use I would change those for some warmer colour tubes as it would be more useful to your plants. Well done on the harvest man homegrown buds just taste better.

i used the uv bulbs because i read that trichs are the plants way of protecting itself from uv. that and i have seen where other folks have used lizard bulbs for uv to get a broader spectrum. i do think i used too much. the bulbs i used are 4 foot 10000 kelvin t5 bulbs with uv. i have used just the one in the past and got a lot better yields. i even tickled 1 gram per watt on my thai plants(not quite there but close). i have 4 clones i am keeping in check that i will probably try hitting with more of the 3000 kelvin bulbs when i flower them. i am disappointed with the yield but the quality of that buzz was superb. it is not for day use, that is for sure. i don't think i have experienced 'narcotic effect' doobage before but i think this is it. now i am curious, stone. wondering if i am in fact wasting my time with the uv. i see other people flowering with t5's but i don't think they do the uv thing and it looks like they have some frosty plants. i think weedhopper and just another ant marching both have flowered using t5's. i grow so spartan though i am afraid to stray too far from what has worked for me. i don't have the room or time to do side by side comparisons. plus i usually have more weed laying around than i know what to do with. i still have some buds in long term storage from my first grow in 2013.

Experimentation is a tricky thing. Even with side by side grows the are many variables and the number of plants in the sample would probably be small it is hard to pin down what is working and what is not. An increase in yield from one grow to another could be due to something as simple as an ambient temperature change as the seasons change. So it's hard to say. Maybe on the next grow swap out the uv for a warm white and see how it goes. If it all goes tits up you'll have 2013's backup buds to console you. Good luck

I have experienced variation by time. This was my 4th grow. Screwed the pooch on the first one when some salts killed 2 plants. Then had 2 grows that led me to think this is an easy 'hobby'. This grow was hard. I started out in January. Buzzed as heck since I started smoking this stuff though. Yikes!

so i am in the cure zone(63-65% humdity) with 3 jars right now. weighed the harvest out after trimming off the bigger stalks. i have 44 grams of nice sized buckeye purple buds, 48 grams of nice sized super buckeye buds and 22 grams of mixed popcorn buds which most people would make into butter or shatter or oil or qwiso. not a great harvest but better than i thought i'd wind up with last week. it is the ickiest of the sticky that i have grown so i am happy with the final product. definately learned some things not to do this grow. i have 4 clones that i think are all purples so i think i will try to fix my mistakes with these little ones...

It is a bit more powerful than I am accustomed to. Gives me the munchies like you read about. My sons really like it. I am probably going to cut it with some Thai I have. I am not complaining. Just my weak, old fogey observation...

learned a lot from this grow. i still have 4 clones going, 2 each from the buckeye purple and super buckeye, in the basement waiting for me to put the tent back up. i can't keep up with the smoke i have now so i don't really need to grow for a while but i have the itch to have some plants to tend to...

i wound up with a bit over 105 grams from my indoor grow(i got over 280 grams my previous harvest - different strain but also a lot of other differences). too much 10000 kelvin and uv light i think is one of the main things that made the harvest so small. i took it down early too because i did not want too much amber. glad i took it when i did though as it has quite the narcotic effect which i think would have only gotten more intense with more amber.

here is a picture of my personal stash while i wait for the rest of the harvest to cure up nicely. the top bud is greenhouse seeds thai from my last grow. then we have some popcorn bud from the purple then the super buckeye and then a small bud from the buckeye purple clone i planted in the woods for about 2 months. on the left is some 'scissor hash' from trimming. when i was a teen fogey, i'd never have dreamed of having such a nice little stash nor would i have imagined ever having more than i could smoke...

View attachment IMG_1113a.jpg

Yum, having more than you can smoke. Your buds look awesome there.

my smoke report on the super buckeye bud:

i will add that if you can make it past the urge to just go to sleep, you pep up and it is a really nice mellow stone...

IDENTIFICATION
=================================================

Date:
Strain: Super Buckeye
Judge:
Breeder: Melvanetics
Grower: oldfogey8

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION

1. Visual Appeal: Rate the visual appeal of the buds from 1-10 unappealing-excellent. 9 - nicely dense pine cone shaped green and brown buds

2. Visible Trichomes: Rate the visible trichome content from 1-10 none-totally covered. 6

3. Use an X to indicate the colors that are present in the trichome heads under magnification or list the percentages of each color for a more precise report.

Clear [20 ] Cloudy [75] Amber [5] Dark [ ]

4. Mark with X the colors that are present in the buds or for a more detailed color analysis rate presence on a scale 1-9 light-dark.

Brown [2 ] Green [6] Gold [ ] Blue [ ] Grey [ ] White [ ] Red [ ] Rust [ ] Orange [2] Purple [ ] Black [ ]

5. Bud density: [ ] Rate the bud density from 1-10 airy-dense. For samples that are not in their natural state leave this field blank. 7

6. Use numbers 1-9 on descriptors that apply to the aroma of freshly broken bud where a one indicates a subtle presence and 9 indicates a pronounced presence.
Delete the existing space when marking a descriptor in order to maintain the columns in alignment.

Ammonia [ ] Earthy [6 ] Licorice [ ] Peach [ ] Berry [ ] Floral [ ] Mango [ ] Pepper [ ]
Blueberry [ ] Fruit [ ] Meat [ ] Petroleum [1 ] Bubblegum [ ] Grape [ ]
Melon [ ] Pine [ ] Cedar [1 ] Grapefruit [ ] Menthol [ ]
Pineapple [ ] Cherry [ ] Grass/Hay [ ] Mint [ ] Rotten [ ] Chocolate [ ] Hash [ ]
Mold [ ] Skunk [2 ] Citrus [ ] Iron/Rust [ ] Musk [ ] Spice [ ] Coconut [ ] Leather [ ] Nutmeg [ ] Strawberry [ ] Coffee [ ] Lemon [ ] Orange [ ] Vanilla [ ]

7. Aroma [8] Rate the aroma from 1-10 repulsive-delightful. Use freshly crumbled bud for best results. 7 - still needs to dry a little more. curing slowly.

8. Seed content [0 ] Rate seed content from 0-10 none-fully seeded. 0

9. Weeks cured [5] If known enter the number of weeks your sample has been cured. If desired repeat SSR after an additional two weeks of curing.

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION COMMENTS:
==================================================
THE SMOKE TEST

Address these questions while smoking.

1. Please use a clean instrument for the evaluation. Enter information below that will identify the instrument as follows:

Water pipe (enter bong, hooka, bubbler etc) [ ]
Vaporizer (enter the brand name) [ ]
Pipe (size-type, ie medium-glass) [ ]
Joint (enter brand of papers) [x] Raw
Other (specify):

2. Use numbers 1-9 on descriptors that apply to the taste where a one indicates a subtle presence and a nine indicates a very pronounced presence.
Delete the existing space when marking a descriptor in order to maintain the columns in alignment.

Ammonia [ ] Earthy [6 ] Licorice [ ] Peach [ ] Berry [ ] Floral [ 1]
Mango [ ] Pepper [ ] Blueberry [ ] Fruit [ ] Meat [ ] Petroleum [1 ] Bubblegum [ ] Grape [ ] Melon [ ] Pine [ ]
Cedar [ ] Grapefruit [ ] Menthol [ ] Pineapple [ ] Cherry [ ] Grass/Hay [ ] Mint [ ] Rotten [ ] Chocolate [ ] Hash [ ] Mold [ ] Skunk [2 ] Citrus [ ] Iron/Rust [ ]
Musk [ ] Spice [] Coconut [ ] Leather [ ] Nutmeg [ ] Strawberry [ ] Coffee [ ] Lemon [ ] Orange [ ] Vanilla [ ]

If appropriate return to this question after 5-10 minutes and mark
with X any unmarked descriptors for lingering aftertaste.

3. Taste [6 ] Rate your impression of the taste from 1-10 unpleasant-delicious.

4. State of dryness [ 3] Rate the dryness of the bud from 1-10 wet-dry where 5 is ideal.

5. Smoke ability [87] Rate the smoke ability of the sample from 1-10 harsh-smooth.

6. Smoke expansion [3] Rate how the smoke expands in the lungs from 1-10 stable-explodes.

SMOKE TEST COMMENTS:

FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS
Address final questions immediately after effects have worn off.

1. Dosage [3] Enter the number of hits taken to reach desired effects.

2. Effect onset [4] Rate how quickly the effect hit from 1-10 immediate-major creeper.

3. Sativa influence [2] Rate the sativa influence detected from 0-10 none-extreme. Sativa influence is best described as a clear and energetic mental effect.

4. Indica influence [8 ] Rate the indica influence detected from 0-10 none-extreme. Indica influence is best described as a sedative,
lethargic or numbing effect that affects the body. *** rating maybe due to early -ish harvest with a fair amount of clear trichomes

5. Potency [9] Rate the potency of the sample from 0-10 none-devastating.

6. Duration [2 -4 ] Indicate the number of hours the effects lasted.

7. Tolerance build up [ ] Rate how quickly tolerance builds from 0-10 none-rapid. Leave this field blank if you have not used this sample repeatedly.

8. Usability [ ] Rate on a scale of 1-9 where a one indicates the worst time of day to consume this strain and a nine represents the ideal time of day.
Leave field(s) blank if you have not yet formed an opinion.

Morning - wake up [ ] Day - work [ ] Evening - relax [ 9] Night - sleep [ 9]

9. Overall satisfaction [7 ] Rate your overall satisfaction from 1-10 poor-Holy Grail. i like a sativa buzz during the day. getting used to the narcotic effect. zzzzzzz...

10.Ability and conditions [3 ] Rate your overall ability to judge from 1-10 low-high. Consider experience, strain familiarity, atmosphere,
current tolerance and most importantly the condition and preparation of the sample.

11.Judging from the sample alone do you personally consider this
strain a keeper for long term use. Yes [x ] No [ ]

12.Rate the noticable effects on a scale of 1-9 mild-severe. Take care to use the appropriate column for your response. for me noticable effects rate an 8. gets me really, really toasty.

Latest posts

Back