truth about molasses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gottaloveplasma

Reaction score
So my nutrient line claims that molases hurts microbes and roots. I know everyone has always used molasses and swears by it. Is there any truth to it being hard on microbes or roots. I read it can also make microbes become dormant. The only negative they throw out at molasses is that the carbon chain is to long and smothers roots and microbes. Does anyone know if this is possible, or is it just salesmen trying to sell sucrose and dextrose.

Don't know bout your stuff but, I use a molasses mixture on my girls. Seems to do them fine. No dying plants out in my yard.

Molasses feeds the microbes. I don't think your nutrient line wants you to step away from them. Molasses is cheap.

I agree. And I also know that they want to sell there sweetener. But the guy has been so honest and helpful I'm trying to dig and see where the truth is he's talking about. He claims they used microscopes and checked out what's going on. Is all sucrose created equal? His product is basically a sucrose and glucose. Claims it is readily available to the plant and the plant can take it up and use it as so it doesn't need to expend energy creating sugars.

It is my understanding that the microbes in the soil need food to survive. Molasses feeds them. Then the microbes feed the plant.

Molasses has b vitamins, iron, potassium a little calcium...here:

Nutrition Facts
Molasses
Amount Per 1 serving 1 tbsp (20 g)
Calories 58
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0 g 0%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 7 mg 0%
Potassium 293 mg 8%
Total Carbohydrate 15 g 5%
Dietary fiber 0 g 0%
Sugar 15 g
Protein 0 g 0%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 4% Iron 4%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 12%

I suppose sucrose is sucrose as far as the plant is concerned. But the black molasses has more nutrients.

And you can cause problems with to much of the micro nutrients yes? Just cause its organic don't mean it wont be harmful if overdone correct?

I am not sure of the answer to that. I think you could over do molasses if you don't have a good micro heard.

I guess i don't understand your question? Are you talking overdoing liquid fertilizers? Yes you can. not as easily as with synthetics..but it depends what you ar eusing. I don't use any liquids myself. I just wasnt' getting what i wanted out of them.

i use teas, that is the only liquid nutes I use. I go with EWC and Guano's for my plants and the maybe the most important is EM1.

PS, GLP, very cool you are checking stuff out for yourself... way to grow pot...seriously.

I use Liquid Molasses and Fish Ferts with no problem. All my plants love it,,flowers veggies trees and grass.

I know what StoneyBud would say:)
"Molasses is for pancakes"
RIP buddy.

I use molasses for feeding the microbes in my tea.
I do not use it while watering my girls.
IMO there are 2 types of organics. Feeding the plant(soup feeding) and true organics(feeding the soil).
Feed the soil not the plant.

IMO soup feeding is leaning more towards chems. As many of the nutes are chelated already, making it less important for having a thriving micro herd.

To each his own,,,and i thought Stoneybud was an awesome dude and grower,,great guy,,,but i like using molasses, ,,and i am 60yrs old. Been gardening all my life. It works for me,,is it a rabbits foot,,i dont know cause I am not a chemist, but it works for me.
Duck is an awesome grower and knows much more then i do about Organics and soil,,,so dont listen to me,,besides i am a Pothead,,,,and im high. Lol

So am I Weedhopper:stoned:

Been :bongin: Chucky hard today:)

Blue Dream for me Little Brother. Lol

I be ridin` the Ghost Train tonight.

Latest posts

Back