Sopappy's grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done this in the past--I take a soil plant and let all the soil that comes off easily come off. Then I shove it into a net pot. If there is any space left, I add hydrotron. The first time I did this as my system does not recirc, I figured that as the dirt washed away into the res that I would add more hydrotron and change out the bucket more often. To my surprise, I got virtually no dirt in the nute solution. The net pot contained the soil and the roots grew through the net pot just as they did when I started them in a rapid rooter and hydrotron.

Hard to believe but if there's no drip, no watering of the hydroton, there'd be nothing to wash the dirt down in to the bucket. I see it now (I think)... I'm going to try Doc's dirt without a rapid rooter.

Pff, I even did it with a drip system. Heck, I've done ENTIRE Sunshine Hydro runs... I just used a smart pot to block the holes on the mesh pot. I used 3 types of methods for my hybrid system; DWC / Drip / Under Current.

So honestly, if you ever worry about it, you can use a mesh pot regardless

:aok: Good stuff Sopappy

I would like to connect one end of this SS coil to a half inch copper feed line nearby using a 12VDC solenoid and appropriate size flexible tubing (like on my furnace humidifier) (or a simple tap and use the solenoid valve at the other end)<br/>
It will drain to waste. (drop the coil in to res, solenoid keeps temps 65-70)
Can you suggest a suitable 12VDC solenoid valve?
-thank you.
I'm wondering if it's really stainless steel. I just made these two coils with my bare hands and a jack post in the basement.

View attachment 100_0884.JPG

View attachment coils.JPG

View attachment coils in res.JPG

Hey Kraven! I just read your tips re DWC ramp at your grow page. Thank you, I can't hear that enough. I have your K-tips printed all over my walls hahaha <br/>
You didn't mention pH of the added back water... is it okay to try and throttle back a too rapid pH rise with some pH downed water? <br/>
One set is doing great, I think it's a ramp! readings at least 8 hours apart:
5.9 180... 5.8 180... 5.8 170... 5.9 160...
the other set, not so great, doing nothing, water lvl barely down, maybe just drinking?

View attachment thegang.JPG

View attachment yes.JPG

dang sopappy....... it's only march where you live? you must live way way off in the sticks.......... lmao.

wow looking good pappy, I usually add back at 5.8 but if the ph is around 6.1 I'll go back with 5.6 to bring the pH back into a lower range, the idea is to prevent large or rapid pH swings. I start around 5.6 -5.7 and I do my add backs to slowly ramp up to 6.3 over 7 days. When its moving a bunch, say from 5.7 to 6.0 in two days or less they need to be fed more, the food will lower pH and raise ppm some. Your right it takes practice, but if you watch the "ramp" and the plants, between the two it will tell you when you are dialed in tight.

dang sopappy....... it's only march where you live? you must live way way off in the sticks.......... lmao.

The camera door is busted and falls open easily and I'm too irritated to walk through the date presses. I updated it today though, it's correct, I like day / mth / year, seems more logical to me.

----trimmed---..after you take water and put it to air, it takes about 24 hours to &quot;settle&quot; where it wants to be. So just factor that in...usually it will come out at, say, 5.5 and settle to around 5.8 just over night.
I let both nute solutions sit overnight this time two nights in fact. The numbers didn't budge. Ya know, I'm finding out some things just aren't normal in here.
I know chlorine needs 24 hours to evaporate so I keep a 45L tub with an air stone constantly full for my source. My tap water is 8.7. What do you think the tub water it is the next day? oxygen makes pH rise but not in here, it drops to 7.6

The camera door is busted and falls open easily and I'm too irritated to walk through the date presses. I updated it today though, it's correct, I like day / mth / year, seems more logical to me.

mine is a pain to program to........ I leave it turned off cause I don't want to set it.

wow looking good pappy, I usually add back at 5.8 but if the ph is around 6.1 I'll go back with 5.6 to bring the pH back into a lower range, the idea is to prevent large or rapid pH swings. I start around 5.6 -5.7 and I do my add backs to slowly ramp up to 6.3 over 7 days. When its moving a bunch, say from 5.7 to 6.0 in two days or less they need to be fed more, the food will lower pH and raise ppm some. Your right it takes practice, but if you watch the &quot;ramp&quot; and the plants, between the two it will tell you when you are dialed in tight.

***usually add back (ph'd) water*** but if jump to 6 too fast, is it then okay to top up with nuted water or do you wait, water only and increase nutes next change?

mine is a pain to program to........ I leave it turned off cause I don't want to set it.

I can't find where to turn the feature off. It takes crummy pictures too. But it was waterproof until I broke the battery door.
funny thing, I just noticed it defaults to the last date and if I close the door again right away, all I have to do is press okay

Just look at your plants if they can take a higher ppm then yes, nutes will lower the pH and raise the ppm. It's a balancing act pappy, to find the right ppm for the stage of growth your in, the plant will need very different things along it's life cycle. The key to hydro is to fully understand what the plant is doing and what needs the plant has, without knowing that or how to read you plants well hydro for some can be a nightmare. My advice is to find someone who runs hydro well and just copy them, run the same strain in the same set up with the same nutes, get a few good grows under your belt and then start to tweak the system to your likes and needs, but to go from scratch and try to grow stains your not familiar with it can be tough if you don't have a solid foundation of plant mechanics. Your gonna get there Pappy, sometimes it just takes a bit longer for some than others. I would encourage you to read everything you can on the strains you are running and hydroponics in general. I have over 30 books I read and reread when I'm having a difficult time, because I forget the basic's from time to time. Good luck and green mojo brother :)

In no way would I ever say that about someone. I said very clearly, some people have a natural talent and things seem to come easy to them, and others have to work a bit harder but in the end get the same results. I'm kinda pissed you feel that way, I have done nothing but try to help you. If you think I'm doing anything other than that then you have wasted both our times.

I think y'all misunderstand what the other means......... let's smoke a fatty be peaceful....... we all here to grow better pot.

:48:

In no way would I ever say that about someone. I said very clearly, some people have a natural talent and things seem to come easy to them, and others have to work a bit harder but in the end get the same results. I'm kinda pissed you feel that way, I have done nothing but try to help you. If you think I'm doing anything other than that then you have wasted both our times.

It was a joke. In my day, it was socially acceptable to be a jerk about things like that. It used to be funny, sort of, I was just poking fun at myself for being a slow learner. I do apologize if you were offended, it was not my intent.

I think y'all misunderstand what the other means......... let's smoke a fatty be peaceful....... we all here to grow better pot.

:48:

Sometimes my attempts at humour fail quite spectacularly

I caught the joke Sopappy.. it wasn't lost on me.

In today's world, that joke isn't as accepted but 20 years ago people would've been rolling over lol.

Pappy I misunderstood. I though you were being serious. I rode the short bus till 4th grade myself until people finally realized I wasn't retarded, I had a learning disability to overcome, and I did. I graduated summa cum laude from both my High School and when I got my AA. To me that joke has no humor. But it's cool.

Pappy I misunderstood. I though you were being serious. I rode the short bus till 4th grade myself until people finally realized I wasn't retarded, I had a learning disability to overcome, and I did. I graduated summa cum laude from both my High School and when I got my AA. To me that joke has no humor. But it's cool.

No, it's not cool. I feel quite shitty now seeing as you were actually on one of those buses. I just fear we are losing the ability to laugh at ourselves. Everybody takes offense so easily these days. I think most often it;s the printed word that gets me (us) in trouble.... if I had said that while we were sharing a spliff, you would have objected and I'dve been falling all over myself apologizing and trying to justify the black humour.
My uncle died in a mental institution, my son had ADD, I'm borderline.... it's not like I'm not poking fun at myself too, Kraven. Frankly, I HAVE to laugh :)....
No humour at all? I do regret the post

Latest posts

Back