Is Hydro-grown bud better than outdoor/indoor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugget123

Reaction score
Hey to all, i saw a post on something like this before but can anyone tell me anything if thier is a diffrence some people say hydro hits smoother and better and is more potent but i never really noticed a big diffrence..... Anyone post on any things they know about any diffrences, or things they noticed or expeirenced..............

IF you don't smoke it, You will never know it........

No, not really. You may get a larger yield a little more quickly.
Potency is a matter of strain grown, not how. Also the care given.
The "hit" has to do with the nutes used and the way it is cured.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I agree with Ogof. Its just a method of growing. I still beleive an OD grow under the sun is the best with organic ferts. That in my opinion gives best yeild and best potency. I truly believe that nothing is better than good ole mother nature.

i agree too all ive heard about hydro is the plant growing fast so you can harvest it faster thats about it. I think good ole mother nature will produce the best buds.

There is a lot of confusion about what hydroponic growing does for plants.

I'll try to explain it.

Perfect marijuana would be when a plant has received the most light that it can possibly use genetically and the most nutrients in the right proportions that it can possibly use genetically and the perfect amount of water.

Nature seldom gives a plant all that a plant is capable of using. The nutrients are either too few, too dilute or in the wrong proportions. The light is sometimes blocked, or too shaded or causes too much heat on the plant.

This is the value of hydroponics. Using hydroponics, the water, oxygen, nutrients, light and temperature can all be adjusted to provide as much of each variable as the plant can use. This enables the plant to reach it's full potential in size, potency and quantity of bud.

Only aeroponics can provide more perfect growing conditions than hydroponics. Actually, aeroponics is just another type of hydroponics.

Some hybrid soil grows are approaching the effectiveness of hydroponics. Advanced nutrients and soil additives make soil growing much better than what nature supplies as well.

I hope this cleared some of the misconceptions up about hydro.

As a big proponent of growing Hydro I'd agree with a lot of what you say SB. You also get great flexibility since you can pick the start of your growing season anytime, you can also trigger flower etc as you want to.

A guy on the now defunct Overgrow did a side by side comparison and it was incredible the growth difference after about the 2nd week.

I think I get great yield and the potency has always been great. It gets better as I have.

That being said, I wish I could do just one gdmmd outdoor grow! I have tried some really nice tasty outdoor nugz and I think they have their own aroma and taste.

I can't comment too extensively on "hydro" growing. I'm absolutely 'ignorant' to it, but I can say this with absolute confidence.
"I've smoked a lotta' dope in the past 35 yrs, indoor, outdoor, hydro, soilless, and nothing, "IMHO", is superior in flavor or potency to a well grown organic outdoor plant.
Maybe it's the sunshine?..

Im Only A Newbie With No Hydro Cant Say Too Much But
Its A Weed At The End Of The Day.
Given Light, Warmth And Water In A Pot Of Soil And A Touch Of Tlc It Grows.
Proof Is In The Puddin And Mine Doin Just Fine With Tubes
Would Like To Grow Outside Tho Thats Where They Belong Afterall
Maybe One Day

IMHO it depends more on the smoker than the bud. What type of high the smoker enjoys pretty much determines what type of bud you would prefer. Usually bud grown outdoors doesn't get the attention that hydro bud does. Now if you're big on Potency hydro would win 9 out of 10 times. The factors that determine potency can be optimized with an indoor/hydro grow. Those same factors are impossible to control with an outdoor grow.
I am not a patient person and would rather have my bud in 4 months time as opposed to 7 months. Indoor/hydro bud gets my vote. Have you ever seen or heard of an $800 ounce of outdoor bud? How often do you see outdoor bud without seeds?

I know i feel a connection with nature type of thing smoking outdoor bud, grown as nature intended it. and if i could grow outdoors then i would. but i do think some of the best ive smoked was hydro!

Nugget123 said:
Hey to all, i saw a post on something like this before but can anyone tell me anything if thier is a diffrence some people say hydro hits smoother and better and is more potent but i never really noticed a big diffrence..... Anyone post on any things they know about any diffrences, or things they noticed or expeirenced..............

IF you don't smoke it, You will never know it........
hydro has made my crops easier just fill my reservior & let the water & nutrients flow you can try soil i do both but the pukka bud comes from the hydro system but i like soil 2 just 2 much muck 4 me bud STILL SMOKING THE SHIZNITT DAVRO over & out mate good luck:rolleyes::cool::cool::cool:]

Now if you're big on Potency hydro would win 9 out of 10 times.
"HA!"....thats a myth/misconception or at very least an "opinion". It isn't a "fact". But I will agree with you that it relates to the "smoker" as much as the smoke. "Opinions" and personal preferrance are the determining factors. "NOT" the method of growing...and thats "my opinion"..hee hee
The factors that determine potency can be optimized with an indoor/hydro grow. Those same factors are impossible to control with an outdoor grow.
"artificial" lighting has not reached the "optimal" quality of the sun. Lighting is a huge factor in the resulting potency and quality. Compare flourescent grown to HID grown. Lighting has come a long way in improvements over the last several years, though. As has hydro' methods, nutes, ect.
I'm not dissing anyones opinions or methods. You guys do fantastic jobs with the indoor hydroponic methods. I simply don't agree 100% with all of the conclusions that your opinions reflect.
..and an $800 dollar ounce of anything is rediculouslly overpriced. Those prices are fuel for the fire of anti-mj legislation and contribute to the negative opinions surrounding casual and medical users.
and last but not least..
How often do you see outdoor bud without seeds?
I've had somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 outddoor "sensimillian" crops. The only time "my" oudoor buds have seeds, is when "I" have personally hand pollinated. but, I don't live in an area such as the midwst, where wild hemp is prolific either.

My brother grew 8 plants outdoor in the midwest in the 2005 season and even with ditch weed in the area. he only had about 3 seeds per 1/4 ounce. he said he let a black widow male release some pollen and that was why he had seeds. with yields near 1 pound a plant...and the "connection with nature" appeal...ill take a few seeds.

Outdoor, indoor, on the ceiling or in the pool, I love to grow pot.

Marijuana in the botanical sense has limits to what it is capable of using for nutrients and light, as well as the many other factors that make a "perfect" pot plant.

Is it possible to grow a "perfect" plant both inside and out? Yes. I've grown perfect weed using both types of grow.

I prefer Hydo for several reasons. One, and the most important to me, is that I don't worry about the freaking cops as much as I did with outside grows. I never worry about thieves. I can give the plant as much light as it's capable of using. Anything over 6K per/sq/ft isn't even "seen" by the plant, indoors or out. I can optimize the nutrients and their ratios super easy with hydro and the reaction time from screw up to cure is WAY less with hydro if done with redundant pumps and timers.

So, "better"? No, I don't believe either is better for anyone but me. I prefer hydro, but I do use dirt. (Nasty stuff)
icon10.gif

Yah, I like outdoor weed too and have access to some really good stuff. I have never seen seed in any weed xcept for some of my own and one batch from a friend -- we both got herm'd.

Now, I have to say I grow some damn fine hydro. Also the light spectrum on a good MH or HPS is pretty much within the range that plants can utilize. There is this 'x' factor people bring up about outdoor/natural fert grows and I can't totally argue with that, but I think using extras like B'Cuzz or Floralicious really help make your hydro bud rich and aromatic.

Well, I like to try all kinds and can appreciate some well grown herb whatever the source.

Well, I like to try all kinds and can appreciate some well grown herb whatever the source.
Absolutely!...I'd love to be able to sit down face to face and bicker 'n smoke samples from all the folks here and their different methods, strains, cures, ect. 'till we fell off our chairs. I doubt we would solve this mystery, but I bet we'd catch a wicked o' buzz..;)
...but if that danged old stoneybud don't quit talkin' bad 'bout my dirt..Qote.."(Nasty stuff)", I'm goin' o'er thar 'n push him down 'n bust a hip...:mad: ...:p

Hick said:
...but if that danged old stoneybud don't quit talkin' bad 'bout my dirt..Qote.."(Nasty stuff)", I'm goin' o'er thar 'n push him down 'n bust a hip...

Ding Dang stuff gets under my dang nails...nasty, nasty, nasty, dirty dirt!!!

Hhahaahahahahahahaha

Nice clean, pure hydro heaven water...

So clean, so refreshing for the plants...

My Mother plants grow very well in dirt. They do so to try to convince me to take them out of that nasty ole dirt and put them into hydro...

Plllleeeeaaaasssssseeeeeeeee Stoney, Please put us into hydro. We'll be good!

Hhahaahahahahahaha, Hick you crack me up!

Latest posts

Back