Hermie noob

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x Big Dave x

Reaction score
Hi ppl,

I can proudly say that out of 5 grows that I did years ago I never got 1 hermie :) beginners luck and also LOTS of TLC (no light leaks, missed waterings, good temps, PH etc) well my latest grow has gone belly up! im week 3 into flowering and up to now they've had 3 serious bouts of stress (7 days no water, 2 weeks of bad temps - not all at the same time!) so im expecting some hermies.. Problem is i've never seen one in real life before.

So i've looked up some pics and read some threads but like most of us im worried i'll ruin the other ladies in there if I don't spot 'em early enough. Im sure I can spot the big yellow'ish nanna's in the buds if they show but so far so good on that front. What im worried about is the stuff among the stems, 1 plant I noticed had something similar to this pic:

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=149351&d=1264598851

The slightly yellow tulip bud shaped growth but mine was tiny and more white/green. Going by the author their saying this is obviously a male. The growth on mine was so small I couldn't 'pick it off' I scratched it off with the tip of my nail. I had a crap camera so when I next go i'll try and get a decent pic.

What I was wondering is how obvious will it become that it's a hermie? Like I said if I see nanna's i'll whip the plant out quickly, dry it, smoke it ;) but its the lower pollen sacks that im worried about identifying. Any advice is much appreciated!

Oh and here's a few shots of how their going so far.

3week.jpg 3week2.jpg

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=149351&d=1264598851

p.s I know they could look a lot healthier and they did some time back but their still recovering from a week of 35c temps :( but they are on the recovery path and other than stunted growth the bud forming seems to be going well.

Tks for the pics, but why the horizontal bars across the images?

sup leafminer

Crappy phone cam, gonna take proper one next time.

hey there big dave, how are you? i believe i am the author of the hermie thread(or the post in it). if there was a close up pic or two of the flowers you question i am sure i could tell if it was a hermie or not. sad to say but i have had alot of hermie experience but it comes in very handy at times lol. if you can post a couple good pics it will help alot. thanks and happy growing.

hi there ta2dguy, excuse my grammer im using a naff phone browser. Thanks for posting, i'll have some better pics in a few days time. Just i was hoping to go there prepared. I've been reading up and i hope im right in saying that only males from seed will grow the proper 'balls' on the stems. Female clones that turn hermie will grow the yellow banana shaped flowers/pollen sacks and its these that need to be looked for. I guess what im after is confirmation that my female clones wont have growths/pollen in among the stems and lower foliage? and i just need to look for the nanna's? thanks again ppl, im dreading learning about hermies the hard n seedy way.

Couldn't get much better pics but these are the things I was on about. Do I need to worry? only seem to be around the base, still no nanna's on the buds. I just wanna know what else I should look for.

Thanks for any help.

7th1.jpg 7th2.jpg

What you have circled looks like a stipule to me. No matter, it isn't a male pollen sac.

I hve never ever seen a hermie show that low on a plant...not a hermie from those there pics...

i have grown for years never seen a hermie, i havent switched many strains and i would be surprised to ever see one now on my strains that ive grown so long without any hermies. watch your plants closely but theres no reason to expect any hermies, theres a very slight possibility that they might show

my last plant went hermie on me. the pollen sacks tend to just be smack dab on the bud, have never seen pollen sacks that low and in those areas. there is a great hermie thread somewhere on the forum, great pics in it of typical "nanners" that are hermie pollen sacks.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance :) I guess you've answered my question in that I only need to look for the nanna's on the buds. As of yesterday, 4 weeks in, still all clear.

Reactions: zem
I am very new to growing so take what I have to say with that in mind.....
From what I've gathered here on MP pertaining to hermies, strong genetics are key to making it to harvest without hermies. I have actually had dreams of hermies and sat in the tent like a weird woman searching. I kept skitzing over new leafs growing out of the buds.... they looked like possible hermies one day but the next day it always looked better... In spite of me, no hermies. Be diligent but don't let it suck the fun out of it with worry over them.

lotsa great answers here big dave :). keep an eye on them and if ya get a scare again dont be afraid to ask again.... the only stupid question is the one that isnt asked :):). problems are solved and avoided by asking questions. i have done alot of stuff to my plants because i never asked what other peoples experiences were :( lol. now i ask a bunch of people and usually majority rules. one thing about spotting nanners or sacs i found that as soon as the lights go out and i have a small, white light to shine in on my girls it is easier to spot them because they seem to shine almost yellow against all the green. very hard to spot under hps :). just my own opinions :). happy growing.

OldHippieChick said:
II have actually had dreams of hermies and sat in the tent like a weird woman searching.

Be diligent but don't let it suck the fun out of it with worry over them.

:giggle: Well I kinda felt like that the other day, sitting in there saying sorry to them for bending the branches all over the show having a good ol root about. Well im slightly less stressed about them now :eek: and regarding genetics I hope your right because I know these are top notch clones so im keeping my fingers crossed that I don't see any at all.

ta2dguy: Thanks for your comments and advice. The tip about turning the lights off and using a small white light sounds like a great idea and could save the crop should I miss any of the harder to see nannas, like you say under the HPS I could imagine them to be a bit harder to spot.

Thanks again everyone else

I have a limited experience with hermies also, but like ta2 there, the experience I have had with them, and looking at friends grows that have had them. The sack is usually a very different color from the rest of the bud, almost a neon yellow against a field of green. Plants are looking nice man!

I've had, sadly, way too much experience with hermies. What you have looks like stiples to me, not nanners. They usually grow on top, trying to get out--so look near the tops for them, and they are usually brighter green, almost neon coming out of the buds. The balls are easy to find, of course. You will know them if you see them. They won't look like anything you'll mistake for something else. Good luck!

Oops, I didn't see your post, Legalize. You said it all. Neon green against a field of green. And CONGRATS, Legalize on your MVP win! Well deserved.

Latest posts

Back