What to do if over watered?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warfish

Random title
Reaction score
I have a plant that I have ended up overwatering. She wasnt drinking as fast as the others but I kept giving her the same amount of water, lesson learned :)

Anyway she has some leaf wilting but is looking to be doing a bit better now after no water for over a week, although the container is still not all the way dry. Is there anything I should have done when I realized the problem or anything that I can do? She is 4 weeks into 12/12. I dont mind making mistakes so long as I can learn from them, hehe :)

Thank you for any and all advice on this :)

u could put the fan more on the dirt to dry it quicker or scoop out some wet dirt carefull and add dry..or raise the temp a little bit that would speed the drying..

2dog nailed what I was going to say, with the fan. Dehumidifier might help really close to the pot, this will generate heat, and draw the moisture. In theory it should...lol...I've never tried it

multifarious' idea sounds good. It probably wouldn't hurt at all, huh?

Thats funny Alistair.............I shoved an air-stone in the base of an over-watered pot before (gently) and used a reg aquarium pump. It helped dry it out tremendously.

It probably just needs some time - and less water next time.

id go with the idea of moving it closer to the fan or raising temps a touch. Personally i wouldnt worry too much, id even still give her a very light watering (so top half of soil doesnt get too dried out) when you water the others, in time she'll be back in line with the others.

On my 1st grow I over watered and the plants were all droopy and look like they were going to die so I got tons of replys and I went with the easiest idea running a fan over the substrate. That really did the trick.And if your running a humidifier turn it off for a couple of days until your soil dries out. On your your next grow add lots of perlite. I find with adding lots of perlite its pretty had to over water just my 2 cents. Good luck bro

a 3-1 soil/perlite mix does infact make it difficult to overwater.

Thank you all for the great responses :) I actually do have a 3-1 perlite mix in there with it, I think just with it being 5 gallons of soil it still was staying too moist in the center, and this particular plant has just not developed as strong a root system to drink it all. All the rest of the girls will drink down 2 gallons of water per week no problem.

I actually did position this plant close to a fan a few days ago, so it looks like I was on the right track of thinking there, yay! hehe :) I'll kick it up to 77 today, I usually run the room at 74-75. Humidity with my new setup stays between 46-48% at all times it seems.

One other thought I had was possibly using some hydrogen peroxide in a watering for her so as to give the drowned roots some oxygen. Any thoughts on that idea?

Thanks again for all the help :)

Warfish

Warfish,

Personally I would NEVER pull a plant that was that far into flower out of a pot unless I was going to transplant into a larger pot, and I believe that you should do your transplanting BEFORE switching. You are taking a bigger chance on screwing her up by messing around with pulling it and repotting it than if you just leave it alone.

I would also be very careful about adding H2O2 to a dirt/soilless potting soil mixture, because you can actually burn the roots if you aren't very careful.

Great smoking.

DonJones, I agree about pulling the plant. Not too mention she is in 5 gallons of soil, there is no way I could keep the dirt formed around the roots if I pulled her from the pot. I had not really researched the hydrogen peroxide, was just a wild thought I had :) I dont want to risk burning her already tortured root system so I dont think I will be doing that.

The only time I use H202 is when I'm soaking seeds I'll put about a cap full into the cup of water....I've always been nervous to water with it. I guess if I had root rot, or some other problem I would give it a shot as a last resort...but not on a healthy plant.

Latest posts

Back